IGNORED

Get Lost!

Propane13

yeah, played it for 3 hours last night with one of yurkies modded ball knob prolines and all new dome contacts in it, perfect for that game. love the underwater valcanoes ... very nice touch. really wanted to get some long playing time using a 7800 with stock controllers. this game is pretty huge and what a great game. cant wait to see if you can come up with a nice catchy tune for the game.more to come

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't written any music in awhile, so I'm going to take my time and try to put something good together.

Very nice John! I finally had a chance to sit down and play it last night and enjoyed the challenge. Nice to see those old demos I tested many years ago finally coming to a finished form.

Mitch

Took awhile, but I hope the end result is worth it. :)

Does the hardware help with collision detection at all? What's your collision solution look like?

For collision-detection, I'm doing some sort of "overlapping square" comparison.

Consider the player a square (8x16) and each object an 8x16 square.

If any corner / edge overlaps a spike / fire / bat, it's checked X-coordinates first, then Y-coordinates second.

It's all done with some greater-than / less-than comparisons.

That's actually why the bat looks a little funny-- I wanted his corners / sides to be pretty much straight lines so that collision detection looked effective.

The only issue where you could feel an unfair detection is if you're falling down away from a spike-- there's a space behind the player that can touch the tip of a spike.

It doesn't look like a collision, but it technically is. I only get that problem a handful of times when playing a full round, but it doesn't seem too bad.

I'd be curious as to if people feel like the detection is unfair.

-John

Hi Guys

How many gems did you collect?

I got 45

greetings gambler172

That's pretty good! I'd say you're on the leaderboard.

Propane how many Gems total are there? If you collect all the Gems, does the game stop?

At least 45... ;)

There's definitely an end to the game if you collect them all.

That ending will be improved a little later.

-John

Haha... well, I do know the actual number of gems, but, part of the fun is letting you guys figure that part out. :)

Somebody else sent me a PM and mentioned the "black screen of death" on this build, so I think it's still in there somewhere, but maybe not as pronounced as the last build.

I didn't really do anything to fix it, except that I guess the timing of some things changed due to more code added.

That's why I suspect that there's some sort of thing that happens during DMA accesses where it can return in a funky state.

If I had a logic analyzer, I could try to drill down, but I don't really have one, nor the hardware to hook it up.

I'm guessing GroovyBee may be the only one that has this setup-- do any others have any systems set up like that?

-John

Honestly, I haven't even thought about it. The source is proprietary, and I've never programmed for other systems (except the 2600).

Are you suggesting that others may be interested in porting this game to other systems? If so, I'd love to hear from those guys.

I'm sure an arrangement could be made.

Of course, I'd like to finish on the first platform first. :)

-John

So, I'm thinking of how to debug without proper hardware.

One thought I had was to ask a question about emulator support.

Does anyone actively code for ProSystem?

I think that one of the things I'd like to do is see how many cycles over I'm going per screen.

i.e. I'd like to get a cycle count each time I pass into my main loop.

I'm definitely over by a little for my frame, but I really need to figure out how much I have to trim.

That trimming could end up being the difference between a game with an occasional screen glitch, and a version that is glitch-free.

I'm just not sure if this functionality exists, or could exist.

You should name the diamonds John Locke, Jack, Kate, Hurley, Charlie, ect. (*Rim shot*) :)

When people crash the game on the real system, do you know where/what they were doing?

Maybe people should record while they play to show you how to reproduce the problem.

Wow; I can't believe the outpouring of support.

Honestly, I was not expecting anybody to keep commenting on this thread. It seemed pretty much done, in my mind.

This kind of support is leading me to think that maybe I could try to fix the "big black screen bug"... but I'd need help.

Does anyone here have hardware expertise that could help me to figure out:

1) specs for hooking up a logic analyzer to a 7800 cart? I can solder, but directions help

2) What kind of logic analyzer I'm looking for?

I don't think I can solve this just by looking at my code. If anyone can help me to climb hardware hurdles; I am willing to try to meet halfway.

I'm just frankly not very hardware savvy; if that's someone's cup of tea, I'd be much obliged.

Plus, solving this issue may lead to some new "best practices" that could help other programmers to not encounter this type of issue.

So, this may be good for everyone in the long run. Could anyone help me to get what I need, and to give me instructions for how to hook it up?

This is just not a road that I'm used to driving on, so I think it's time to see if anyone knows what to do here.

Again; thanks to everyone for commenting and for the kind remarks.

I made the game to try to make people happy, and to try to close out a very long journey.

This community is awesome. :)

Regards,

-John

Wow; I can't believe the outpouring of support.

Honestly, I was not expecting anybody to keep commenting on this thread. It seemed pretty much done, in my mind.

This kind of support is leading me to think that maybe I could try to fix the "big black screen bug"... but I'd need help.

Does anyone here have hardware expertise that could help me to figure out:

1) specs for hooking up a logic analyzer to a 7800 cart? I can solder, but directions help

2) What kind of logic analyzer I'm looking for?

I don't think I can solve this just by looking at my code. If anyone can help me to climb hardware hurdles; I am willing to try to meet halfway.

I'm just frankly not very hardware savvy; if that's someone's cup of tea, I'd be much obliged.

Plus, solving this issue may lead to some new "best practices" that could help other programmers to not encounter this type of issue.

So, this may be good for everyone in the long run. Could anyone help me to get what I need, and to give me instructions for how to hook it up?

This is just not a road that I'm used to driving on, so I think it's time to see if anyone knows what to do here.

Again; thanks to everyone for commenting and for the kind remarks.

I made the game to try to make people happy, and to try to close out a very long journey.

This community is awesome. :)

Regards,

-John

Im sure someone can help. just maybe keep at it and I hope all the final things are coming along well for you. I know I will be wanting one if you ever get it released on cart!