IGNORED

Get Lost!

Propane13

You should name the diamonds John Locke, Jack, Kate, Hurley, Charlie, ect. (*Rim shot*) :)

When people crash the game on the real system, do you know where/what they were doing?

Maybe people should record while they play to show you how to reproduce the problem.

Amusing-- I only started watching Lost this year at the prodding of some of my friends; that's a fun unintended reference. :)

Very cool, how soon can I buy a cart?

I still have a few things to do, but anyone who is on this thread or PM'd me will be contacted when the time is right.

I've got an annoying major bug hurdle to clear; after that, things could get back to normal.

Cool game!!

The final version will have lives or time limit?

Also cart version is a must :)

The final version should be about the same; I think if I limited the lives, nobody could ever finish it.

Especially, since the author knows every trap and where everything is, and died 109 times. ;)

I am looking forward to people doing death-free speed-runs though.

Propane any tips for the green area underwater filled with ?s. I was playing your game for around an hour last night and it seems that there are gems that are impossible to get to.

Yes. For those who have no idea what this is, don't bother reading the spoiler below-- it could give you too much information that you may be able to figure out on your own.

Hint 1 is subtle; hint 3 is more direct (with 2 in the middle).

Hint 1:

First of all, try perserverence. All gems can be obtained, but you may need to take a more circuitous route

Hint 2:

Pause the game and "look carefully"

Hint 3:

If you'r really, really stuck, there's a subtle difference between the ? blocks that you can pass through, and the ones that you can't. It's only a pixel difference, but it's enough to take note of the different path you need to take to get some of the gems.

Thanks!

-John

I have a question for the 7800 programmers out there.

What happens if at the end of a bunch of DL's, a condition arose where there are no "0,0" items?

Will DMA keep processing them indefinitely ? Or, will DMA give up and move onto the next line?

I think I may have a race condition such that DMA is interrupting DL-generation while it's not yet finished being written.

I've never tried that on real hardware to see what happens, so curious.

-John

What does the Wise One do?

Also, here's what Get Lost! would look like on the 2600:

Well John you would have to take that as a serious completment! It is like Wierd Al doing a remake of your song,, that's when you know you have made it to the big time!!

First, Thank you for this game.

Second, I play it on real hardware (with CC2) and got a lockup twice and it was not an all black screen for me. It looked more like the screen was filled with black blocks with about 2 yellow dots in it. The last time I got it, I died and started at the first up arrow and went to the down latter and I think the screen was transitioning from start screen to the bottom screen.

To debug this, can you number sub-routines and before you call a subroutine print its number on the screen somewhere and so when you or someone plays on real hardware they record it and then you will know what subroutine it is happening in.

Maybe add some noop’s to where you think the processor is going too fast.

Maybe PacManPlus can look at it?

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool, how soon can I buy a cart?

I still have a few things to do, but anyone who is on this thread or PM'd me will be contacted when the time is right.

(...)

Now I'm in the thread to be contacted when the time is right :-D

Very good work, Propane13.

I wonder if the designer you wanted to contract some time ago was for Get Lost...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am sooooooooooooooooo looking forward to this. I'll be purchasing a cart as well. :)

This is the equivalent of posting the first two chapters of a horror novel you're writing and having Stephen King tell you he's anxiously awaiting the rest. :)

Put me down for one as well.

Just seeing this thread for the first time. I would like to purchase a cart too!

I know! I was away for awhile and when I come back there's a post here that's like "Hey, I just made my first ever game if you want to look at it. It's pretty okay I guess. I mean, it's only basically like a Montezuma's Revenge for the Atari 7800!!!"

This thread was so unassuming I was back most of the day before I even read it. It should be highlighted in gold or something.

Hello; I'm back.

Thanks everyone again for the kind words.

@carmel_andrews

My inspirations were Pitfall, Goonies/Goonies 2 and Battlekid on NES, and a bunch of apogee-related shareware games from the old DOS days (Secret Agent, Jill of the Jungle, Duke Nukem Shrapnel City, Commander Keen). The art may line up a little with Boulderdash; if so, that wasn't too intentional. I was just trying to make things work, and make some of the gems "puzzling". The gem was actually just a placeholder at first, and ended up the way it was over time since I got used to it.

@Mord-- the map looks great!

@Atarifever - maybe I should change the title of this thread to "Get Lost! A Pitfall-style 7800 game" or something. I didn't even think about how people might miss it; I just posted very excitedly.

I'm taking a small break here working on a side project (i.e. house maintenance); just had some electrical upgrades done, and now I get to do some fun drywalling and painting.

Typically, when Halloween comes around, I start getting up early and doing programming again-- that's when the rubber really hit the road on this last year.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I have an update; I'd like to thank everyone for being patient.

Thanks again!

-John