IGNORED

Which cart am I?

bomberpunk

Not Adventure nor Private Eye.

I'll recap the clues:

23. Samuel Clemens

36. Bibliography

55. Discography

Figuring out Mark Twain is just the first step. Where to go after that will lead in a different direction.

More clues, which may help you figure out the other clues (but maybe not the game itself):

78. http://www.frys.com/product/6515023

80. http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/tech/innovation/cassette-tape-50th-birthday/

100. I was going to post this clue, but it may have just been a myth.

The game isn't the myth, the clue is.

9999. It wasn't an Atari game, twice. Then it was. Now it's not.

Looking at Mark Twain's bibliography is just a starting point. Maybe a detective would help.

This will be the last clue for tonight - hope nobody's in a rush to solve this. The numbers are important. Give it another shot.

There really isn't any logical reason I guessed Steeplechase, I couldn't get it to fit any of the clues either. I'm starting to suspect Space Invaders with the number 112 and the back and forth being with Atari.

You got it! It was Space Invaders! I thought it would be fun to go after one of the most common 2600 games, and make it obscure.

In case people found this frustrating, I would like to, at this point, remind people of the very first post in this thread:

inspired by this thread http://www.atariage....t/#entry2567484, i thought it would be fun to play "identify a random cartridge using minimal clues".

"Minimal clues". :D

Here's what they all meant (the numbers are actually separate clues):

23. Samuel Clemens - 23 refers to the arcade version's "23 shots" trick. Samuel Clemens refers to Mark Twain. Here's where it starts getting obscure...

36. Bibliography - 36 is the number of Space Invaders in the 2600 version. If you look up "Mark Twain bibliography", he has several books about Tom Sawyer.

55. Discography - 55 is the number of Space Invaders in the arcade version. If you look up "Tom Sawyer discography", you'll find the song Tom Sawyer by Rush, which has the line "the space he invades...".

Figuring out Mark Twain is just the first step. Where to go after that will lead in a different direction - Refers to the above clue of finding the Tom Sawyer/Rush connection. Also, "different direction" refers to the Invaders changing direction.

More clues, which may help you figure out the other clues (but maybe not the game itself):

78. http://www.frys.com/product/6515023

80. http://www.cnn.com/2...-50th-birthday/

78 is the year the arcade version was released. 80 was the year the 2600 version was released. The Fry's link points to an Atari's Greatest Hits compilation, but it doesn't include Space Invaders (the reference to maybe not figuring out the game itself). The first clue points to Fry's, the second points to an article with Mix Tape in the title, about the history of the cassette tape invented by Philips. Put them all together and you get Philip Fry's Mix Tape. A Futurama reference to the episode where he battled Space Invaders, while listening to Tom Sawyer:

100. I was going to post this clue, but it may have just been a myth.

The game isn't the myth, the clue is.

I made this one too obscure - but I wasn't sure how to include it without making it too obvious. 100 refers to the rumor surrounding Space Invaders that it resulted in a shortage of 100-yen coins, prompting the Japanese government to have to triple their production of it. There rest is about it likely being a myth. There's a really well done blog post about it, which was mentioned last year on AtariAge here.

9999. It wasn't an Atari game, twice. Then it was. Now it's not - 9999 is the score where the 2600 version rolls over. Space Invaders was created by Taito, licensed in the U.S. by Midway (not Atari twice), licensed for home systems by Atari, but then they couldn't include it on any of their modern compilations (not Atari again).

Looking at Mark Twain's bibliography is just a starting point. Maybe a detective would help - Another reference to try to point back to Tom Sawyer. One of Twain's books was "Tom Sawyer, Detective".

This will be the last clue for tonight - hope nobody's in a rush to solve this. The numbers are important. Give it another shot - Mentioned Rush by name. Trying to get people to think about the oddly numbered clues and their significance. Give it another shot refers to the double-shot trick in the 2600 version.

If I knew why you were guessing what you're guessing, I could drop more hints at you - Drop hints at you. You know... like Space Invaders would.

112. Don't look back at the other clues - 112 game variations is clearly shown on the box. Also, "Don't Look Back" is a reference to the Boston album. That cover is very similar to Space Invaders' box art.

Whew - glad someone finally figured that out! I had more clues ready to go, just in case:

459. Norman, yes. Rockwell, no - Refers to the artist who did both the Don't Look Back cover and Space Invaders box/label - Gary Norman (you can see his name in the lower left corner on the box art).

460. Most of the previous clues have been music-related - An attempt to point back to Rush and Boston.

461. It also had its own song. This year it had a song, album and tour - Space Invaders by Player [1] (or Uncle Vic in the U.S.) was the song:

This year, Ace Frehley had a song, album and tour called Space Invader.

462. VisiCalc, for the 2600 - VisiCalc was the killer app for the Apple II. Space Invaders was the killer app for the 2600.

Finally, those last four numbers are the four AtariAge database numbers for the different label variations of the game. If nobody got it after that, I'm not sure where I would've gone with it. :roll:

• Like 1

This might help someone, but I can't figure it out.

1. Makes Bridgegate pale in comparison..... Traffic jam, Chris Christie, New Jersey, George Washington bridge.

2. Curse you bat, I mean ..... Batman, D.C. comics.

3. Edison lost the war.... Edison LOST his hearing, and he also lost "the war" of AC vs. DC current to Nikola Tesla. DC for Edison (impractical) and AC for Tesla.

Hopefully this helps.

Good one! I was actually thinking of Frankenstein first, with the third clue about electricity and the second about those annoying bats at the end, but I couldn't fit the first clue into that game. Mxyzptlk gave me the push in the right direction.

Alright, here goes:

1. The Greek alphabet never goes out of style.

2. Dammit, stop being so skittish!

3. Game over. Where have I seen this before?

Edited by WolfAmongWolves

Not my turn I know but this one's been bugging me for a year because it was one of my favorites on my 2600 as a kid and I can't remember the name to go out and get it now.

1) Side scrolling shooter

2) Not Defender or Defender 2

3) The city at the end looks like a palace and if you destroy it the game ends

Edited by dashv

Not my turn I know but this one's been bugging me for a year because it was one of my favorites on my 2600 as a kid and I can't remember the name to go out and get it now.

1) Side scrolling shooter

2) Not Defender or Defender 2

3) The city at the end looks like a palace and if you destroy it the game ends

You're probably thinking of Mega Force.

Asterix?

No, not Asterix. How did you interpret the clues?

Good one! I was actually thinking of Frankenstein first, with the third clue about electricity and the second about those annoying bats at the end, but I couldn't fit the first clue into that game. Mxyzptlk gave me the push in the right direction.

Alright, here goes:

1. The Greek alphabet never goes out of style.

2. Dammit, stop being so skittish!

3. Game over. Where have I seen this before?

Omega Race