IGNORED

Lynx HSC 2012 Round 8 Kung Food

roadrunner

The Lynx HSC Game Of The Month for August is Kung Food.

post-22103-0-68654200-1343847422_thumb.png post-22103-0-70384300-1343847444_thumb.png

Settings - Default

Deadline to post scores is September 1st 2012

Any control setup is fine.

Emulation is ok.

No auto fire, no save states.

Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

The Lynx HSC All Time Record is 25,600 by roadrunner

Beat this for a bonus point!

(Busted) PFG 9000 184,600 +1 point

(Busted) MrBland 122,000 +1 point

(Busted) roadrunner 29,100 +1 point

Final High Scores -

1. PFG 9000 184,600 +11 points

2. MrBland 169,800 +10 points

3. roadrunner 29,100 +9 points

4. zylon 19,400 +8 points

5. jblenkle 6,000 +7 points

Current Point Standings -

PFG 9000 (78)

Atari_afternoon (16)

Tempest2k (49)

roadrunner (59)

BillyHW (49)

ACrystal 2011 ( 8 )

Amstari (34)

zoltan (10)

DeVaas (18)

devwebcl (18)

jblenkle (14)

Damon Plus (12)

Link to manual -

http://www.atariage....areLabelID=1850

Edited by roadrunner

Dscf5938b.jpg

This game is criminally overlooked among Lynx fans. Perhaps I'm just blinded by nostalgia, as this was the fifth Lynx game I got as a kid. I used to have arguments with my friends about how much better this game was than anything on the Gameboy at the time. Complaints are usually related to hit detection and difficulty, and I just don't see the problem with either. I think sometimes people don't understand that the game is programmed as though the sprites have 3D depth, so you don't have to be on the exact same plane as the enemies to hit them or be hit by them. Every enemy can be beaten without taking a hit if you know how to attack them. And yes, I've actually beaten this game. Once. Obvious strong points are the graphics and concept. Even if you just hate the game, you have to recognize those strengths...right?

This game is criminally overlooked among Lynx fans. Perhaps I'm just blinded by nostalgia, as this was the fifth Lynx game I got as a kid. I used to have arguments with my friends about how much better this game was than anything on the Gameboy at the time. Complaints are usually related to hit detection and difficulty, and I just don't see the problem with either. I think sometimes people don't understand that the game is programmed as though the sprites have 3D depth, so you don't have to be on the exact same plane as the enemies to hit them or be hit by them. Every enemy can be beaten without taking a hit if you know how to attack them. And yes, I've actually beaten this game. Once. Obvious strong points are the graphics and concept. Even if you just hate the game, you have to recognize those strengths...right?

I agree completely. I LOVE this game. I've gotten to where I can get to the third level, the floor, pretty easy; but the rats slay me. They're quick, run diagonal, just can't seem to hit them. Give me time though, they are going DOWN :evil:

Edited by MrBland

The low kick works best against the rats. You have to either catch them just right as they're running towards you, or try to predict where they be after they bounce off of the top of the screen, and be waiting there doing the low kick before they reach that spot. I find the second method easiest.

Keep at it, once you get a hang of the ememies movements it becomes a lot easier to kill them. Situate youself so they come to you rather than you chasing after them. Good luck :)

That's a really good strategy, I never thought to word it that way. That will get you through most of the game pretty well. There are just a handful of enemies in the game that you're better off attacking directly. Those ice demons in the first level and the apple copters in the last few levels are about it. Also, the slimes in the cupboard level need to be attacked right when they switch from the upright, jumping form to the flatter, shuffling form. They're too hard to hit while they're jumping around. And the flies on the floor level are best attacked right after they land on the back wall.

I wish I had time to write up mini strategy guides for games like this and Scrapyard Dog that are generally underappreciated. Once you understand the basics of both games, they become really fun.

I have trouble with the carotts on level 2. There's a whole bunch of them.

I gotta take out that thing they come out of.

Whenever i get close to them they kick me.

I have trouble there too. one strategy that works for me sometimes is to run up to the sacks and stand a little ways away so I am barely hitting the sack. This way I hit and kill carrots coming out while destroying the sack. One other thing I've done is to go up top when approaching the sacks, wait a little while, then attack. They stop producing carrots after a certian amount are on the screen, then the carrots wander away from the sack allowing you to destroy the sacks without being attacked then you can wipe out the carrots. One problem with that strategy is time. More than once I've finished the second level with only a second left and waiting even a little while for the carrots to stop generating and wander away from the sacks could mean not enough time to finish the level.

Kill the carrots quickly with the low kick. Obviously you want to destroy the bag as soon as possible, but you should have time to take out a few carrots first if you need to. When there aren't any around the bag, use the low kick again to take it out. You don't need the carrots to be too far away from the bag, since it should only take you a few seconds to kill each bag. If you lose a little health while destroying the bag, it's not a big deal because this game is super generous with the health refills. If you aren't already, make sure you're looking everywhere for powerups. This game likes to hide them behind cans and up above the screen where you need to jump to see them.

I've gotten to where I consistently get to the end of the cupboard stage but the yellow pudding is just too much for me. Well I have a couple more days :-) I think if I can get past this stage I'll have a chance of beating the current high score. I'm coming after you PFG 9000 :evil: (of course you've probably have a even higher score reserved for just such a case lol)