IGNORED

EMR II - Evil Magician Returns upgraded to DPC+!

Byte Knight

Randomized Level 3 is now done. I don't believe that I locked any of the castle keys in their own castle. I thought the game was a little too easy so I made the Evil Magician a little harder to kill in Levels 2 & 3 - it now takes two hits to drop him. Thoughts?

EMRII19.bin

Also, I fixed the bug in which you could win the game by bringing the chalice to the white castle. Just a minor bug...

Edited by Byte Knight

I don't believe that I locked any of the castle keys in their own castle... Thoughts?

Have you made sure you don't have a circle condition such as white key in red castle, red key in white castle? It could even by worse such as white key in red castle, red key in gold castle, gold key in white castle.

It might be easier to randomize everything except the keys, and for the keys have a table that defines the locations for the keys as a group. Then select a random grouping. This way you can prevent a circular condition but still have everything randomized.

KeyLocations:
; key grouping 0
.byte room, x, y ; gold key
.byte room, x, y ; white key
.byte room, x, y ; black key
.byte room, x, y ; red key

; key grouping 1

; key grouping 15

Have you made sure you don't have a circle condition such as white key in red castle, red key in white castle? It could even by worse such as white key in red castle, red key in gold castle, gold key in white castle.

It might be easier to randomize everything except the keys, and for the keys have a table that defines the locations for the keys as a group. Then select a random grouping. This way you can prevent a circular condition but still have everything randomized.

Thanks for the suggestion. The items are not truly randomized - there's a total of 16 different levels with items in certain locations. One of these 16 levels is picked randomly when Level 3 is selected, and then hopefully the bat will randomize the items further. I played through all 16 levels once, so they should work...

Randomized Level 3 is now done. I don't believe that I locked any of the castle keys in their own castle. I thought the game was a little too easy so I made the Evil Magician a little harder to kill in Levels 2 & 3 - it now takes two hits to drop him. Thoughts?

EMRII19.bin

Also, I fixed the bug in which you could win the game by bringing the chalice to the white castle. Just a minor bug...

Good addition. Two hits suits levels 2 and 3 better.

Finally got around to playing it!

Ive tried it on stella. Works fine for me.

Outstanding gamme...Great job so far!

I like the blacked out room...tho for some reason I ALWAYS DIE by the wizard.

I dig the flicker/glowing torch lights too.

Cant wait to see more.

• Like 1

Hey, I heard that playfield pixel commands don't work in DPC+. How do you create the single pixel exit in your castle and other places? Is it all just playfield: statements?

You are correct sir!

If you ever decide to do a randomized Adventure homage I found that in the normal kernel you can use partial playfield: statements -> pfscroll then more partial playfield statements to stack playfield sections. Not as good as pfpixel but at least something :)

It's looking great. I have a suggestion though: It seems to me that inside the home castle should be a safe screen where enemies cannot go.

I'm nearly convinced that there are still some unwinnable games. I've been playing around with a game on level 2 and after combing every area many many ...many multiple times, I still cannot find the chalice. It hasn't been a problem before, (after all, the first time I completed the game was on level 2), but in this particular game it is. That's leading me to believe that the chalice is somewhere not accessible in this particular game. I've not hit RESET because I wanted to keep checking to be sure and I'm finally about to give up and start a new game.

It's looking great. I have a suggestion though: It seems to me that inside the home castle should be a safe screen where enemies cannot go.

I could do this relatively easily, but is the home castle room "safe" in the original Adventure? I can't remember... Naturally the bat should be able to go in there or you could just pool all of your items in there.

I'm nearly convinced that there are still some unwinnable games. I've been playing around with a game on level 2 and after combing every area many many ...many multiple times, I still cannot find the chalice. It hasn't been a problem before, (after all, the first time I completed the game was on level 2), but in this particular game it is. That's leading me to believe that the chalice is somewhere not accessible in this particular game. I've not hit RESET because I wanted to keep checking to be sure and I'm finally about to give up and start a new game.

The chalice starts out in the white castle in Level 2. I'm assuming you explored all four rooms in the white castle. If the bat moved it, it could be behind a wall in the dark mazes. Grab the staff and hold the button down walking from room to room to see if it's "stuck" somewhere. Also, the dragon guards the chalice, so if you find him sticking to one room then the chalice should be there...

I could do this relatively easily, but is the home castle room "safe" in the original Adventure? I can't remember... Naturally the bat should be able to go in there or you could just pool all of your items in there.

The chalice starts out in the white castle in Level 2. I'm assuming you explored all four rooms in the white castle. If the bat moved it, it could be behind a wall in the dark mazes. Grab the staff and hold the button down walking from room to room to see if it's "stuck" somewhere. Also, the dragon guards the chalice, so if you find him sticking to one room then the chalice should be there...

i had that happen and i did just that... walked around the mazes holding down my button with the staff and i finally found it after like 15 minutes... i think the bat moved it a couple of times in between. but i will keep trying level 2 to and look for the chalice

Yes, it's a safe room in the original Adventure. As far as I can remember, even the bat cannot go in there unless you first carry him in. I would sometimes leave an item there (like the sword) to keep it safe while I would go about unlocking a castle. It was not a good idea to put ALL your items in there because you want to have something outside to bargain with. If there's nothing outside, the bat is sure to take what you're holding. Leaving him other item(s) can keep him busy for a bit or lure him into swapping back an item he just took from you. edit: in fact, I believe that same rule applied to all castles; the bat could not go in unless you first carried him in, but after that he could come & go as he pleased.

I believe the bat may have moved it to someplace I could not get to. I kept playing for a bit and got killed by the magician several times while continuing to re-re-...re-search the screens. ;) Eventually, after one of my deaths, the chalice appeared on the screen right below the yellow castle & I was able to finish the game. :) Edited by KevinMos3

In Adventure bats and dragons can enter castles if the castle gate is open, you are in the room where the open gate is, and the bat or dragon collides with the open gate. I believe it is also possible for a dragon to be in the castle at the start of a game.

i think your right, im almost positive that i remember seeing the bat in there before and dragons Edited by AtariBrian

Yes, it's a safe room in the original Adventure. As far as I can remember, even the bat cannot go in there unless you first carry him in. I would sometimes leave an item there (like the sword) to keep it safe while I would go about unlocking a castle. It was not a good idea to put ALL your items in there because you want to have something outside to bargain with. If there's nothing outside, the bat is sure to take what you're holding. Leaving him other item(s) can keep him busy for a bit or lure him into swapping back an item he just took from you. edit: in fact, I believe that same rule applied to all castles; the bat could not go in unless you first carried him in, but after that he could come & go as he pleased.

OK, I'll incorporate the gold castle "safe room" into the next release. The bat will still be able to fly into the other castles if they're open though.

I believe the bat may have moved it to someplace I could not get to. I kept playing for a bit and got killed by the magician several times while continuing to re-re-...re-search the screens. ;) Eventually, after one of my deaths, the chalice appeared on the screen right below the yellow castle & I was able to finish the game. :)

Thanks for the extensive testing!

OK, I'll incorporate the gold castle "safe room" into the next release. The bat will still be able to fly into the other castles if they're open though.

I believe the bat may have moved it to someplace I could not get to. I kept playing for a bit and got killed by the magician several times while continuing to re-re-...re-search the screens. ;) Eventually, after one of my deaths, the chalice appeared on the screen right below the yellow castle & I was able to finish the game. :)

Thanks for the extensive testing!

Todd, I sent you an email a few days ago... dont know if you got it. :grin:

In Adventure bats and dragons can enter castles if the castle gate is open, you are in the room where the open gate is, and the bat or dragon collides with the open gate. I believe it is also possible for a dragon to be in the castle at the start of a game.

Yes, for example: the yellow dragon is locked inside the White Castle at the start of the game until you open the gate.

Yes, for example: the yellow dragon is locked inside the White Castle at the start of the game until you open the gate.

So then the bat and dragons can enter the Gold Castle in Adventure?

No. A bat cannot enter the yellow castle. A dragon cannot enter the yellow castle (unless you're carrying a bat that's carrying a dragon). Bats generally can't enter any of the castles except under the circumstances mentioned earlier by accousticguitar & myself.

Certain dragons begin game 2 locked in certain castles (the yellow dragon is locked in the white castle in game 2 and can't leave until the castle is unlocked; the red dragon guards the chalice inside the black castle). In game 3, objects' and dragons' starting locations are randomized, so a dragon may or may not start out in a castle, but will never chase you into the yellow castle. I've not yet been able to get a dragon to chase me into any castle. For example, a dragon will guard an object such as the magnet. I can take the magnet from a dragon and run into the black castle and he will not enter.

Again, bats cannot go into any castles unless the certain conditions mentioned earlier are met. You can test this by placing all objects into various castles and they will stay there. Of course, you may wish to have different behaviors for your game. I'm just saying what the behavior is for Adventure.

Edited by KevinMos3

I believe they can. The trick is to get them moving up, since if they are moving in a downward motion they will exit the castle immediately after hitting the open portcullis.