IGNORED

EMR II - Evil Magician Returns upgraded to DPC+!

Byte Knight

CONGRATULATIONS to Evil Magician Returns II for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

444099308_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestMusicSoundAtari2600.jpg.b55158811e50b782bac9c59a94a3b012.jpg647827254_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.bd2e06147e8055b044e81c32ee02fb8b.jpg949927702_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestGraphicsAtari2600.jpg.dc32063197f7b8bbd60d01bf0d47c7df.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, Byte Knight said:

7 years in the making!

Glad you saw this one through to production. As a big fan of the original Adventure I picked up one of your new carts and had a blast playing it along with my 5 and 7 year old which also love Adventure. The wizard regeneration can be maddening, especially when you've taken out one wizard with the fire staff and then the bat steals the staff from you before you've found and killed the other wizard. Next thing you know the wizard you thought you've vanquished is back from the dead and you're back to square one. The ending was so satisfying burning the red wizard up in the chalice after he must have re-spawned 38 times in the game haha. Also my brain is trained to go on autopilot through the water maze after playing Adventure so many times, it's hard to resist going the autopilot direction and not the now reversed correct path in EMR II. In Adventure dark catacombs are easy to intuitively find your way through moving in a constant direction. I love how your dark catacomb mazes run counter intuitive to the direction I want to progress through. Keeps it a good brain challenge.

It seems I did find a glitch. I'm not exactly sure how it happened as it happened so quickly. I believe I was in the dark catacomb and entered the white room and then back into the dark catacomb immediately. Somehow this managed to get my square locked inside the white wall and unable to move. I considered this punishment for not remembering the catacomb maze haha.

I hope to see an EMR III and hope there isn't a 7 year wait! Thanks for this piece of game art!

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 10:22 PM, intergalactic419 said:

Glad you saw this one through to production. As a big fan of the original Adventure I picked up one of your new carts and had a blast playing it along with my 5 and 7 year old which also love Adventure. The wizard regeneration can be maddening, especially when you've taken out one wizard with the fire staff and then the bat steals the staff from you before you've found and killed the other wizard. Next thing you know the wizard you thought you've vanquished is back from the dead and you're back to square one. The ending was so satisfying burning the red wizard up in the chalice after he must have re-spawned 38 times in the game haha. Also my brain is trained to go on autopilot through the water maze after playing Adventure so many times, it's hard to resist going the autopilot direction and not the now reversed correct path in EMR II. In Adventure dark catacombs are easy to intuitively find your way through moving in a constant direction. I love how your dark catacomb mazes run counter intuitive to the direction I want to progress through. Keeps it a good brain challenge.

It seems I did find a glitch. I'm not exactly sure how it happened as it happened so quickly. I believe I was in the dark catacomb and entered the white room and then back into the dark catacomb immediately. Somehow this managed to get my square locked inside the white wall and unable to move. I considered this punishment for not remembering the catacomb maze haha.

I hope to see an EMR III and hope there isn't a 7 year wait! Thanks for this piece of game art!

Good to hear that someone is playing it!  Sorry about the glitch - I can't recall that ever happening in the many hours Atari Brian and I tested it.  But I do like your idea of "punishment" for not memorizing the maze. 

Since you like it, feel free to write a review in the store! ?

22 hours ago, Byte Knight said:

Good to hear that someone is playing it!  Sorry about the glitch - I can't recall that ever happening in the many hours Atari Brian and I tested it.  But I do like your idea of "punishment" for not memorizing the maze. 

Since you like it, feel free to write a review in the store! ?

I tried, it shows my star rating for the game, but maybe I messed up as my review hasn't posted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Evil Magician Returns II LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Peril (2020 WIP Update) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka Vhzc
- Evil Magician Returns (2010) by Todd Holcomb aka Byte Knight
- Evil Magician Returns II (2019) by Todd Holcomb aka Byte Knight

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 1:17 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be featuring Evil Magician Returns II LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Thanks for playing!  I wish that I could have been there live to give you some tips (which are included in the manual)...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Byte Knight said:

Thanks for playing!  I wish that I could have been there live to give you some tips (which are included in the manual)...

Thanks for making the game, it was a lot of fun playing both EMR I & II on the show. ? Super challenging on the higher levels!

- James

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...