IGNORED

Is the Xbox 360 still worth buying now?

neko123

I do realize this console has been out for almost 7 years, but I was looking into buying one now considering the only other option is the PS3 (which I've already used).

The 360 looks more lively than the PS3 and I like the graphics and controller better (from what I've seen). Is it still worth buying a console for $299 that has been out for almost 7 years?

Thank you, also can you play original Xbox games through Xbox Live as well? Or are the servers not around anymore for the original Xbox games?

Original XBOX games can no longer be played online through XBOX Live, unfortunately. Also, not all XBOX games will work on a 360. I'd say about half the original XBOX library is backwards compatible, maybe more, so you will want to check some compatibility lists before you plan on doing that. Also, you will need to have the 360 connected to the 'net to download the XBOX B/C patches (That was probably more information than you needed, hehe).

Thank you, also can you play original Xbox games through Xbox Live as well? Or are the servers not around anymore for the original Xbox games?

Original XBOX games can no longer be played online through XBOX Live, unfortunately. Also, not all XBOX games will work on a 360. I'd say about half the original XBOX library is backwards compatible, maybe more, so you will want to check some compatibility lists before you plan on doing that. Also, you will need to have the 360 connected to the 'net to download the XBOX B/C patches (That was probably more information than you needed, hehe).

yes, however you can use XBConnect and play your original Xbox1 games on the 360 online.

I was playing on my Xbox1 in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory while a couple of friends were playing it on their 360. And we used XBConnect. XBConnect is just like Kaillera.

Works great. Still lots of people playing some games, especially Halo 2.

The 360 has at least 4 Capcom exclusives, so skipping isn't an option.

In this day and age that wouldn't even enter into consideration as a positive reason for me.

Regardless, I do plan on getting a 360 at some point before the generation is officially over. I have at least a dozen games I've picked up over the last couple of years that I wanted to play on it so I have a reason to get it at least. Just not a pressing issue yet.

The 360 is definitely a system worth getting. The back catalogue of games are great, but I'd never recommend it to someone who also has a PS3, as there just aren't enough exclusive games to warrant that.

Personally, I'd hold off a few months are get one in a Christmas sale. They'll probably be selling dirt cheap with a Kinect bundle, then just trade the Kinect bundle in straight away. That's what I did last year. Ended up with a 360, a SF4 Arcade Stick, and SSF4AE for about $240. And that wasn't the 2GB model, it was the one up from that. I'm not sure, but I want to say 60GB?

I'd say it's worth it for the Kinect and XBLA titles alone. The Kinect gets a bad rap - there is a lot of functionality in that little guy.

I've had an Xbox 360 since 2006, and I haven't regretted a day of it. I've never paid one cent for repair, and I was able to upgrade to an S model with a Kinect for about $100 out of pocket (SO worth it).

Obviously, the back catalog speaks for itself. Think of tit this way: You can get most of the first three years' worth of titles at flea market prices on eBay. If you buy a 360 today, and only play good games on it that already exist, you have at least five years of gaming ahead of you. Now, factor in the XBL Gold membership at $60 a year, plus the aforementioned $299 price tag, and you're talking about a net cost of $9.98 a month to have a great cosole for the next five years, to say nothing of beyond.

If you're even on the fence, get one. There's no telling if the next generation systems will be worth sneezing at.

no kidding. I got in on the 360 very late (post Jasper) and because of that, I never got to experience some very popular and great titles until after they had disappeared from public consciousness.

some amazing games like Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 I got for $10 and less. I got some fabulous games for $2-3 like MotoGP 06.

I love the indie marketplace (XBLIG) where a lot of nice games for $1-3. XBLA has some great games and great sales.

• Like 2

it's a lot of fun. but why do you need to pay $299? lots of sales going on. or you can go cheaper and get the 4GB $200 model. and add a hard drive. I bought a used 250GB hard drive from Gamestop for $30.

I'm skeptical that GS is selling the 250 gig drive for only $30 since they are known for price gouging.

it's a lot of fun. but why do you need to pay $299? lots of sales going on. or you can go cheaper and get the 4GB $200 model. and add a hard drive. I bought a used 250GB hard drive from Gamestop for $30.

I'm skeptical that GS is selling the 250 gig drive for only $30 since they are known for price gouging.

According to GameStop's website, these are the current prices for used XBOX 360 hard drives:

320GB (internal) - $120

250GB (internal) - $80

250GB (external) - $70

120GB - $45

60GB - $30

20GB - $20

Love the 360. I have multiple 360's, PS3's and Wii's. The 360 is the unit that gets the most love these days.

Just an all around awesome system. You could probably spend an extra $100 and pick up 10 games that'll keep you busy the next year.

Go for it.

I've had the 360 since day one and I have tons of AAA titles for it. I'm not sure when this generation of gaming will end but I have years left in it just judging by what is on my shelf let alone all the titles I have held off buying due to my daunting backlog.

I won't say how much I paid for my Elite 360 when it was brand new in 07, but I haven't regretted it. Yes, I had some systems with problems, but the Jasper model that I've had for three years now (I think?) is still running very well.

It's a really amazing system with a huge backlog of games, a good indie marketplace, a lot of nice aps (I watch a ton of Netflix on it) and the best controller to come down the pike since the original 2600 joystick.

I won't say how much I paid for my Elite 360 when it was brand new in 07, but I haven't regretted it. Yes, I had some systems with problems, but the Jasper model that I've had for three years now (I think?) is still running very well.

It's a really amazing system with a huge backlog of games, a good indie marketplace, a lot of nice aps (I watch a ton of Netflix on it) and the best controller to come down the pike since the original 2600 joystick.

I suspect most of the major hardware headaches were resolved with the Jasper edition... that was the last rev of the older one before the slim came out.

Honestly, I would purchase new and not mess with pre-owned or refurbished.

definitely stick with getting new consoles versus used 360 consoles. you don't know its history. whether it's been modded. whether it's Jasper or whether it's older. too many things to worry about, especially when kids are handling it.

but when it comes to the hard drive, it's pretty safe. either it works or it doesn't usually. you can always run some diagnostic tests on it on the PC before sticking it on a 360 if you're worried.

If you haven't picked up an X360 yet, then there are tons of games - most should be quite cheap now if you buy them used - for you to play. Some of my favorites are probably on PS3 as well though. I have my circa-2008 XBOX-360 still running fine, I never got the red ring of death.

I will say that my 360's fan makes it the loudest system I've ever owned, that is the only thing I don't like about the system.

I will say that my 360's fan makes it the loudest system I've ever owned, that is the only thing I don't like about the system.

You obviously got an older model. I've had those when they were LOUD. you couldn't play in the bedroom at night because the thing just sounded like a jet engine. :lol:

But FYI, ever since the jasper models.. and probably before that it got really quiet. And the new models? Heck, they're pretty much silent.

• Like 2