IGNORED

Is the Xbox 360 still worth buying now?

neko123

I have 2 Jaspers. One (the Elite model, originally with 120 GB but now with a 250 GB HDD) is definitely quieter than the other (the arcade with 512 MB of onboard flash memory and now with a 250 GB HDD). I was surprised at the noise difference and chalked it up to inconsistent manufacturing as they should be at the same noise level. Both run like a champ.

But both definitely pale in comparison to the silent 360 S models.

Edited by onlysublime

Yeah, but HOW do you know its Jasper or something else? Surely it doesn't say Xbox 360 NEW JASPER UNIT! on the box?

The easy concept is.. the "later" the model is, the better. :lol:

If thats confusing at the end of the day just get the new model "lite" 360's and you're good to go. As said, they are SILENT. :)

300px-Xbox_360_S.png

I doubt you can get anything older than a Jasper as the Jasper was released in 2008. If you can buy a pre-Jasper new, then you're buying from a store that has a problem making sales.

If you're buying used, then things get tricky. You want to worry about whether the console was modded and banned (a common reason people sell their 360). Post 30 shows how you tell Jasper from previous 360 systems. I would not own something prior to Jasper as it's a ticking time bomb.

Then newer than Jasper is the 360 S which is showing in post 32. The 360 S has 2 revisions: the first was Trinity. It was then replaced by Corona in August of 2011.

So the bottom line is if you bought a model that was created from late 2008 to present, you're pretty safe and have some reliable hardware. If you stick to new hardware, you have peace of mind. The newer 360 S is pretty darn sexy in person. It's smaller in real life than pictures make it seem and is just a great piece of work, with more features like a built-in optical port (no separate audio adapter needed) and built in wi-fi (though I'll always stick to wired networks).

Edited by onlysublime

I was googling , and many people seem to say their Jaspers were loud too. I might have a Jasper - it seems loud to me when the fan or DVD drive is running but maybe it is not as loud as the launch ones.

Another question if you know - what was omitted from the 360 lite consoles? Hard drive?

Why does the PS3 seem to be more popular in Japan than the 360?

Nationalism/racism.

Well, that, and the never-ending cycle of game availability vs user base. "There's so few Japanese-language games, why buy a 360?" vs "So few Japanese folks own a 360, why publish Japanese-language games?" Somehow, both sides of that equate to "Hey, let's just wait for the PS3."

Edited by Rex Dart

Neko, you should have enough to make some kind of decision. If it's not enough, then I don't think you're really ready to really consider a 360. And that last couple of posts seem to be steering this thread into a versus thread which defeats the purpose of this thread.

Should I get lost? xD

Anyway, thanks for all the responses.

Edited by neko123

No... we just don't want this discussion to go sour... that is what happens when it becomes this console versus that one thread. Some people feel very strongly about their choices. Not sure why. By the time a generation is over, I usually end up owning all of them. If I want to play any Halo games, then a 360 it is. If I want to play Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Graces... at least in the US, I need both a 360 and PS3. Sure... there are a lot of cross platform games. Sometimes one is better on one system... or there is no big difference losing sleep over.

Anyway, onlysublime is right... you should have enough info. If there is a stack of 360 only games you want to play and many of those maybe cheap now, get one. If you get enough out of the PS3, then stick with that.

To answer Cafeman's question, there is a 360 S that does not have a hard drive, but has 4 gigs of internal memory (maybe they all have that at this point). There is always been at least one 360 base model with no hard drive for each revision. My guess is that the current slims make less noise than a Jasper. But I can tell you from experience that a Jasper makes a heck of a lot less noise than a launch console.

• Like 1

Yes, I wasn't telling anyone to get lost. Just trying to keep the thread along a good path.

As for the 4 GB 360 S system, that's 4 GB of flash memory which is treated as flash memory by the 360. In other words, things that are hard drive only will not be able to use the 4 GB of flash memory. Also, you cannot copy your 360 game DVD to flash memory, no matter how much space you have free on your flash drive (either the onboard or via a thumbdrive). This was for piracy purposes.

Very few things actually need a hard drive. But a notable exception is Rock Band DLC. You can play Rock Band and the included songs without a hard drive. But if you want to purchase additional DLC songs, those require a hard drive (at least what my friend tells me, I don't really play Rock Band and always had a hard drive so I didn't know). Halo Reach was a notable exception where it wouldn't let you play the cooperative campaign without a hard drive but that has since been patched.

• 3 weeks later...

That's mostly going to depend on the games your interested in. I got an xbox, cause I like the exclusive games better...and a lot of stuff plays better multi system because of the xboxes separate processor and video memory (where the PS3 has more, but it's shared, decreasing the purpose) Xbox live costs money, but after messing with the "fee" services on PS3 and Wii, I'll take live all day long. Besides, most of my friends have one, and that allows us to swap out games.

As for the age. Well, the WiiU (the first next gen) isn't even slated for release untill next year, and the next Xbox and PS aren't even announced yet (so probably the year after) so if your worried about the life, it's still got 3 or so good years left (and a few lousy "death throws" years after that LOL :P )

The price, the $300 is the one with the Kinect, I like it, but it doesn't get a lot of play, I could easily do without it, you can get one for $200, and there's rumors of a price drop by the holiday, so it's not to bad. One of my friends said it was supposed to drop to $100 (I don't buy that, I could see it dropping $50, but not $100) But if it does drop, I'll get another one.

You don't have to worry about the system's reliability any more either, even though the new Xbox gets hotter than the surface of the sun, I've heard little of the thing dying on people, so anyhow, it should be safe. My new system is almost as old as my old system was when it died, and is still going good.

Anyhow, as I said, what games are you interested in, and see which console has them, get that console.

• 1 year later...

Can't say I was a huge fan of the us system, but the Japanese 360 feels like a modern dreamcast (in game selection). Just bought it and for the first time really falling in love with the 360. Would definitely say its worth getting now. Nothing to wait on, games wise. All the games are out and cheap to purchase. Why not?

Edited by DaytonaUSA