IGNORED

Is the Xbox 360 still worth buying now?

neko123

Whatever you do, purchase a 360S (slim), not a 360E (current version that looks like the Xbox one). The cons of the 360E is it has one less USB port and no touch sensitive buttons. The pros are the fan speed is a little quieter and stays slightly cooler internally.

There's never been a better time to own an Xbox 360. The newer models run cool and don't break, and the library of games is enormous and extremely entertaining. They had a sale on the Xbox Marketplace a couple weeks ago, and I was able to snap up a dozen great games (and Ridge Racer Unbounded...) for around fifty bucks.

In short, it's my favorite console of the last generation, and it's aged quite gracefully despite being nearly a decade old. There's a lot of FPS detritus, and Microsoft's condescending, money-obsessed attitude often rubs me the wrong way, but there are so many great games that look so gorgeous, it's easy to forgive the shortcomings.

Edited by Jess Ragan
  • Like 3

I'd actually want an Xbox 36-E (see what I did there?) but the fact that it only has HDMI is something of a deterrent. I'm also not sure if I could get a hard drive in there without buying one of Microsoft's extortionately priced ones. Is there a way to format an ordinary drive for the Xbox 360 and pop it into the system?

I recently got a 360 S. It was a slight hassle, as I'd found a good price on a new 360 S on Amazon through another seller, but when it arrived it was an E, so I sent it back. Pic had the S...which I need since my TV doesn't have an available HDMI port (older HDTV, only does 720p anyway), and I wanted Component. As stated by others above, notably Jess Ragan, this thing is wonderful. Runs uber quiet and cool, has a wireless modem, looks awesome, is all kinds of improved over the old white model.

Is there a way to format an ordinary drive for the Xbox 360 and pop it into the system?

They're all formatted the same way. It's just a matter of making the necessary physical alterations by removing it from its enclosure so that it will fit.

Edited by Atariboy

I recently got a 360 S. It was a slight hassle, as I'd found a good price on a new 360 S on Amazon through another seller, but when it arrived it was an E, so I sent it back. Pic had the S...which I need since my TV doesn't have an available HDMI port (older HDTV, only does 720p anyway), and I wanted Component. As stated by others above, notably Jess Ragan, this thing is wonderful. Runs uber quiet and cool, has a wireless modem, looks awesome, is all kinds of improved over the old white model.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear... >:D

I see you've got Mortal Kombat on your list of current favorites. Isn't it crazy how much better it is than the games released for the PS2 and Xbox? Netherrealm Studios made the right choice when it went back to the gameplay of the original trilogy. Deadly Alliance, et al were a confusing mess, hoping to capitalize on the popularity of Virtua Fighter (and failing miserably). Did anyone even playtest those games?

Anyway. I don't have an Xbox 360 S yet, but dearly want one. The hard drive is the dealbreaker for me, though. I probably should have clarified earlier... I want to take a hard drive for personal computers, reformat it for the 360, and put it in the system. I know I could take the hard drive I've got out of its enclosure and put it inside an Xbox 360 S, but that would pretty much wreck the enclosure and make the old system more difficult to sell. (Not that anyone really wants an Xbox 360 Arcade model anymore.)

• 2 months later...

I just got a 250gb Kinect-ready 360 for $100 on Craigslist, and it was still in the box. For $40 more, I bought his Kinect, three games, and two extra controllers. I got home and did a format, updated to the latest version, and all is well so far. Despite owning over 40 systems, I have never owned an Xbox.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel its still a worthy buy even having owned like three over the years hell maybe more I've lost track its been a few years since I had one due to financial troubles but I plan to get one before getting an xbox one the library is huge I've missed many titles all of which are cheap and plentiful so I can wait on the xbox one to drop to xbox 360 prices

Well, I have 3 of the suckers and have no plans to move to Xbone or PS4 for a while, if ever. They're all fats but one has the RROD which I'll have to fix again as I have a buyer for it. Both my white models have flashed drives. My Elite is used for playing originals and online gaming.

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC so once that's up and running I'll probably spend more time PC gaming. Haven't done that for a while because of the Xbox.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd actually want an Xbox 36-E (see what I did there?) but the fact that it only has HDMI is something of a deterrent. I'm also not sure if I could get a hard drive in there without buying one of Microsoft's extortionately priced ones. Is there a way to format an ordinary drive for the Xbox 360 and pop it into the system?

When my 360 S died on me, I got an E and the drive from the S just went in like it was ment to go there. I'm glad they didn't huse it in yet another type of enclosure.

When my 360 S died on me, I got an E and the drive from the S just went in like it was ment to go there. I'm glad they didn't huse it in yet another type of enclosure.

I thought the 360S was reliable. Not good to know. Any idea what failed, or if it was a common failure? Glad you got back on the road again, shortly, however!

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a note, the latest S models come with a garbage single antenna 2.4 GHZ wireless band only card. This is fine if you don't have a lot of wireless devices and you don't live in an apartment complex where everyone is eating up the 2.4 GHZ band channel, but if you do (and you don't want to wire your 360), you're going to need to purchase an additional wireless adapter for duel antenna and 5GHZ support.

It's a big time system, and they prices are coming down. I would probably go for a 360S with HDD. Only bad thing is that the modding community hasn't cracked the system yet in any decent way.

Really? You can RGH slims and run emulators, host modded lobbies, custom themes, etc...I have 6 Jtags and trust me the "modding community" had cracked it lol. Especially modded lobbies on call of duty..

I am just now really starting to love this system. My son gave me the Star Wars (R2-D2 console w/ gold C3PO controller) edition about two years ago. I still have not purchased a game at retail, but have built a nice library of 30 games or so without paying more than $15 for any of them. Good games are starting to be prevalent at garage sales and thrifts and now that I can get Netflix and Youtube without paying for Gold it is really starting to get a workout.

Really? You can RGH slims and run emulators, host modded lobbies, custom themes, etc...I have 6 Jtags and trust me the "modding community" had cracked it lol. Especially modded lobbies on call of duty..

From what I've skimmed, the older big Xbox's are easy to mod, but the slims are not. Not saying they're impossible, but much more difficult and require advanced soldering skills.

From what I've skimmed, the older big Xbox's are easy to mod, but the slims are not. Not saying they're impossible, but much more difficult and require advanced soldering skills.

You're correct on that. If you're good at soldering, or even decent at it, they it's pretty easy. Other than that you're just soldering wires to a chip and that's it.

People are saying early Xbox 360's are loud, but I thought Dreamcast and original Xbox were both pretty loud when compared with something like a PS2 or Gamecube. Are they really louder than a Dreamcast fan?

Yeah the old DVD drive inside the machine (360) was loud as hell, a lot louder than the fans. I think the Dreamcast was next in line and then maybe the original Xbox third.

I love the Dreamcast but that was one thing I couldn't stand about it.

Original XBOX wasn't that loud, not nearly as annoying as the DC is. However, when you softmod it and put in a large-capacity HDD, you need to bump up the fan speed, and then it becomes VERY loud!

Do you have to? I guess its a good idea with a bigger drive that may generate more heat although I've never changed the fan speed on any of mine. What speed do you set yours at?