IGNORED

What are you playing on 3DS?

I don't suppose anyone has done the digital download of New Super Mario Bros 2 have they? I'm curious how many memory blocks it uses up. I have an 8 gig SD card for my XL that I bought but if I go digital download I'm curious how many big games I can store on it.

Nevermind, I found the answer

The download includes a full game manual available on the 3DS' main menu and takes up 2725 blocks of memory, so make sure you have the space

So my best math indicates I can store around 20 games of that size on my 8 gig SD card. Not bad.

I don't suppose anyone has done the digital download of New Super Mario Bros 2 have they? I'm curious how many memory blocks it uses up. I have an 8 gig SD card for my XL that I bought but if I go digital download I'm curious how many big games I can store on it.

New Super Mario Bros 2 DL is just a video add for the game, it doesn't take up a lot of space ('ve got several videos, and lots of games, and olnly the pack in 2G sd card) I've only fille dthe card up when I use the 3D video recorder, but even there, I have to record like half an hour of videos before I run out of space.

Why aren't the videos 3D when you run them on the ocmputere? (or where's teh second video stream, or whatever, the pics can be printed off, but I've not figured out how to do the video in 3D

At the rate they're going, you will never fill up your 8GB card. NSMB2 is less than 400MB, and it's by far the biggest download they currently offer. All the 3DSWare and Virtual Console stuff is tiny. Even if you fill it up, you can always buy a newer, bigger card for next to nothing. The downloaded stuff is authorized by the system, which means you can back up a copy to your computer or another card.

I got a 32GB card for $20, which will likely never ever ever get filled up.

My 32GB card for PSVita, in contrast, was stuffed with PSPware on day one. It cost $100.

Ridge racer is like driving a greasy marble on a buttered pan. It looks awesome though, but unless you like auto drifting for no reason other than you touched the controller, it's probably not something you'd like.

That's anohter one, where are all the racers?

I enjoyed Ridge racer, but only after I spent a few days learning how to not slide sideways just for breathing, and even then, it wasn't all that easy....luckily, the AI sucked on that game or I'd have never had a chance....kind of like Checkered flag for the Jaguar in a way :(

Got my girl a 3DS XL and Kid Icarus uprising. She played it for a day, set it down. Said it seemed cool and has not really touched it since,

So on my way last week to fill out some finacial papers for a home I brought it to pass time since Im always waiting in a office.

IM HOOKED!

ITS MINE NOW!

Such a good game. I realy havent played anything in awhile that fits my schedule...short bursts of time 10-20min openings here and there.

It has great graphics, a story I wanna see more of. No slowdown or pixelated crap. Funny in game conversations..there is ALOT of chatter.

And once you come to grips on the controls you are in for some REAL fun.

Plus the 3DS XL screens are much better for my old man eyes than the original, I even think the 3D looks more 3D.

Now I just got Street Fighter New for $4 and Puzzle bobble for $7. Just need more time to play..lol

I also think the system itself is really nice. Feels sturdy, nice bright sharp screen no blurrries. The only thing that I can say that is not great is the sound. It seems so whisper silent compaired to the DSi XL.

Not horrible by any means but if you compair the two the DSi XL kicks it as in volume. With head phones it doesnt matter, which I usually use.

So Highly recommended system and game. Im NO nintendo fan by any means. Look at my collection and you will see I have almost nothing nintendo (like 20 games) in all my 5000 games I own.

So this is a shocker to me to have a feeling of Bliss like a little kid with this system and game. Been years since I had this feeling.

I DIG it.

The only thing that I can say that is not great is the sound. It seems so whisper silent compaired to the DSi XL.

Not horrible by any means but if you compair the two the DSi XL kicks it as in volume. With head phones it doesnt matter, which I usually use.

Ok this is easy to check out right this very moment since I have right here a DSi XL and a 3DS XL on my desk and have some games I can compare. One sec...

..Verdict is: You're right! Tested on the intro music of some titles, although I wouldn't say it's a huge difference I'd say it's a noticeable difference... Especially when doing a side by side A/B comparison. The XL is indeed louder than the 3DS XL. I would say it's as if you turned down the volume 10-15% or so on the regular XL. :)

And yeah I dig it too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ridge racer is like driving a greasy marble on a buttered pan. It looks awesome though, but unless you like auto drifting for no reason other than you touched the controller, it's probably not something you'd like.

That's anohter one, where are all the racers?

I enjoyed Ridge racer, but only after I spent a few days learning how to not slide sideways just for breathing, and even then, it wasn't all that easy....luckily, the AI sucked on that game or I'd have never had a chance....kind of like Checkered flag for the Jaguar in a way :(

Hi again Video, I see Asphalt 3D for ten bucks in the bargain bin at my local store. Since you gave good info about why Ridge Racer is no good, would you say I should get Asphalt 3D instead? Is it also no good and not worth ten bucks?

Mario Kart 7 is reason enough to own a 3ds. That games is AWESOME!!! If you liked the 64 version which I love, this mario kart is a must. Like mentioned the multi never gets old.It even has balloon battle and uses maps from all the previous Mario Karts.

I'm currrently rocking new super mario bros 2 like no tomorrow. Mario 3d land was good and I have a short downloaded game from the shop Called Metal Torrent. It's a pretty sweet schmup if you like those. I think it's $4.99 but I got mine for a 150 coins some time ago when they offered it.

Ok this is easy to check out right this very moment since I have right here a DSi XL and a 3DS XL on my desk and have some games I can compare. One sec...

..Verdict is: You're right! Tested on the intro music of some titles, although I wouldn't say it's a huge difference I'd say it's a noticeable difference... Especially when doing a side by side A/B comparison. The XL is indeed louder than the 3DS XL. I would say it's as if you turned down the volume 10-15% or so on the regular XL. :)

And yeah I dig it too :)

Guys, is this purely a speaker issue only... or does this also affect the internal sound (when headphones are used)?

Guys, is this purely a speaker issue only... or does this also affect the internal sound (when headphones are used)?

Reading answers all.;)

Not horrible by any means but if you compair the two the DSi XL kicks it as in volume. With head phones it doesnt matter, which I usually use

But yeah, doesn't matter what the cause is, speakers or whatnot... end result is the same. Not trying to fix it, but just observing it. :)

The only thing that I can say that is not great is the sound. It seems so whisper silent compaired to the DSi XL.

So.... is this confirmed? The speaker for the 3dsXL is 'crap', but the internal sound is normal (as in fine, just like every other DS system)???

thks

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Need for Speed the run - its a fun arcade racer that took me back in time to Cruisin USA as you are going cross country in The Run.

It's not a serious racer but more arcadey I would call it as you be crashing all over the place and continue on. The controls are good but I think I would benefit from having a 3DSXL as I was finding it a tad crampy on my hands to play. (Never had this problem with Ridge Racer but I don't recall the control layout)

I've been playing the single player main story and I'm about 60% through I believe and there are different styles of levels... Not all of them are simply beat the competition type variety but include taking out cops and time limit levels. So I liked the variety.

They introduced an interesting concept to the game with times sequences which I thought were a nice touch and at first a pleasant surprise. Turns out the timed sequences are a bit of a double-edged sword. As they take place while you are racing, they catch you off guard sometimes which is ok as it gives a feeling of an emergency. On the bad side is that some of these can disrupt your groove in a race. A more serious negative is that some of events have poor touch screen controls and swiping with a finger doesn't work well and can result I'm a fail. Overall though, the good outweighs the bad in my opinion as I enjoyed the variety and surprises.

I think the worst feature is the slow motion mode that takes place when you take down a rival... The slo mo is cool to see when you have an opponent smashed and flying out of control... However while the slo mo is happening you are still driving onwards and you often end up against a wall or with head on traffic or a turn that you aren't prepared for and I think this was a bit of a flaw in the design. Thankfully, the arcade racing nature of the game is forgiving and those collisions don't spell disaster for you.

There is an online mode but when I tried it, there was nobody to play against... And not being an online gamer most if the time, I wasn't too concerned. (Not sure if you need friend codes to simply play online or how it works)

Overall, I give the game a 7.0 out of 10. There are better games but this is by no means a bad game. I'll keep playing it some more.

Well after watching a youtube review of Asphalt 3d... it looks like a fun arcadey style of game and might be fun, especially if I can get it for $10.

As for the graphics comparison, it looks like there was some serious popup in Asphalt and it looked like pretty basic scenery etc. I think it would be safe to say that the graphics in Need for speed are better. Not that I feel better graphics makes a better game (hell I love some 2600 goodness) as I believe gameplay is where it's at.

Enjoy the 3ds... I think I may need to make the move to the 3DS XL sometime in the near future. But I'm also considering getting a Vita as it would allow me to enjoy some of that systems games. I've really started to like portable systems in the last 6 or 7 years... from the DS onwards. But that's for a different thread. :)

• 4 months later...

What I'm curious about though is, without getting trolls or into a flame war, how come the 3DS is apparently managing okay now, actually being successful too while the VITA is not doing well at all?

Price. It's really as simple as that. Nintendo got greedy and tried to sell the system for a premium price, thinking that people would get one on the strength of the brand name alone. When they found out that no, people would NOT do this, they wised up and slashed the price to a more reasonable $169. That helped get those dusty units off store shelves. Nintendo was also wise enough to give early adopters a peace offering in the form of a digital game package, so they wouldn't feel like they'd been cheated. It was masterful damage control... now barely anyone remembers what a smoking wreck the 3DS launch was.

Sony, on the other hand, repeated the same mistakes they had with the PSP and expected different results. Like the PSP, the Vita is a handheld larded with high-end technology and burdened with a massive price. They probably figured that "real" gamers (heh) would spend the money for a console-quality experience on the go, but people just aren't willing to pay that much for a dedicated handheld regardless of its performance. They'll pay that much for a smartphone, or a tablet, or even a laptop, but these are all versatile devices; the Swiss Army Knives of the digital age. The Vita is designed specifically for games, and while it CAN do other things, it can't do any of them practically.

Now Sony had the chance to turn things around by cutting the price, but they've adamantly refused. The system is still $250 (and $300 for the 3G unit!), making it a hard sell for customers who would get more mileage out of a smartphone or tablet. It illustrates that if handheld game systems are to survive in the 21st century, they're going to have to go to great lengths to differentiate themselves from costly all-in-one devices. Chopping the price in half would be a good start.

Anyway! I received a 3DS as a gift from a friend, but won't be using it much until my first game, Super Street Fighter IV, arrives. Oh, I am chomping at the bit for this one! I played a little of it at a GameStop a year ago and it was love at first sight.

• Like 1