IGNORED

Houston Arcade Expo 2012

SpiceWare

Houston Arcade Expo 2012 has been scheduled for November 2nd & 3rd. 200+ Pinball, Arcade & Console games on free play.

I will be doing another presentation on homebrews. The schedule for that will probably be posted on this page, which is currently showing the speakers' schedule from last year.

Houston Northwest Crowne Plaza

290 @ Pinemont

Hours:

Friday 6pm - 2am

Saturday 10am - 2am.

Tickets at the door:

$20 for 1 day

$30 for 2 days

Or prepay and save $5.

Here's a video walkthru I took at last year's event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0s3TKdnKY

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish I could be there...Houston is just too far. They never have stuff like this in my neck of the woods either. :_(

On another note, it never ceases to amaze me that in almost every video and photo set from classic gaming events, you can spot at least one Stormtrooper sighting:

post-29022-0-40473800-1350231039_thumb.png

Do they provide official security for these types of events??? :grin: Maybe I have just underestimated the population of 501st legion soldiers here in the USA! :rolling:

• Like 2

I wish I could be there...Houston is just too far. They never have stuff like this in my neck of the woods either. :_(

On another note, it never ceases to amaze me that in almost every video and photo set from classic gaming events, you can spot at least one Stormtrooper sighting:

post-29022-0-40473800-1350231039_thumb.png

Do they provide official security for these types of events??? :grin: Maybe I have just underestimated the population of 501st legion soldiers here in the USA! :rolling:

Lol! That's awesome. :)

• Like 1

I just posted this to the Houston Arcade mailing list, but I'll post here as well:

I'm bringing 20+ classic game consoles and computers to this weekend's show to setup a large classic console area as I've done in years past. I should have 13 or so displays in tow (12 13" Commodore 1702 monitors and one Sony 20" Trinitron), but that's obviously not enough to drive all the systems I'm bringing. If you're attending the show for the duration and can bring even one 13" - 20" CRT television, that would be a big help. I'll be the guy setting up all the consoles tomorrow afternoon before the show opens, wearing an AtariAge t-shirt. If you do bring any televisions, please also bring the associated remotes! :D

Thanks in advance,

..Al

Got back from Houston a few hours ago. Just wanted to thank everyone who came by the AtariAge booth to say hello! Between the systems I brought to the show and systems other people graciously allowed the masses to enjoy, we had nearly 30 classic consoles and computers! Thanks also to those who brought displays for me to use, that was also a big help! I managed to drop one of my 1702s out of the van onto the pavement in the parking lot and it sure didn't work after that! :(

From memory,

- Atari 2600 (8+)

- Atari 5200 (2)

- Atari 7800 (2)

- Atari Lynx

- Atari Jaguar (2)

- Atari 800XL

- Apple IIe

- Vectrex (2)

- Odyssey 2

- 3D0

- ColecoVision (3)

- Virtual Boy

- Dreamcast

- Vic-20

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out. :) I had two Imagic kiosks at the show, filled with 48 homebrew games! Behind that, I had a 42" television with a Keynote presentation with a few slides describing the kiosks, homebrew games, and AtariAge. I took plenty of pictures of the classic gaming area, but none of the rest of the show. However, I did take video of the entire show and I'll pull that off the video camera and if it looks good I'll upload it to YouTube in the next few days.

Here's a photo showing the kiosks (click for a larger image):

haag_2012_atariage.jpg

..Al

The presentation when quite well, more people attended than last year. There were some really good questions asked at the end of the it such as asking for more in-depth detail on Bus Stuffing, which I'd covered at a high level.

I'll post a followup when I upload this year's presentation to my website. I need to see if the videos will be there after I export from Keynote to PDF - if not I'll have to update those slides to show links to them onYouTube.

Edited by SpiceWare

Where's the pictures? Anybody got any uploaded yet?

I took many pictures of the AtariAge booth, but not of the overall show (I get burned out on taking photos sometimes.) I did take video of the entire show, and I need to dump that from my video camera and see how it came out. If it looks good, I'll edit it as needed and upload to YouTube.

..Al