IGNORED

Super Mario Clone World 1-1 Playable Demo!

Sprybug

LOL, that 5200 video is full of FAIL! :rolling: In all seriousness, not everyone on this forum owns a 5200 or 7800 Atari. So without further adeau...

Here's a sneak peak at World 2! Sprybug hasn't publicly released this ROM yet, so please don't PM me asking for it. And this should go without saying, SPOILER ALERT! If you want to discover world 2 for yourself when the game is officially released, please don't watch. Otherwise, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZubRuiqlXw

My appologies for swearing; I tend to do that a lot while playing games. :ponder:

• Like 1

For an engine demo its quite an impressive success, actually.

No collision between Mario and enemies, jumping through the ceiling and into the floor, flagpole doesn't work, and scrolling past the end of the level. When I said "FAIL" I was referring to the brokenness of the game mechanics and not the graphics, which were spot on. Just curious, who programmed that, anyway?

LOL, that 5200 video is full of FAIL! :rolling: In all seriousness, not everyone on this forum owns a 5200 or 7800 Atari. So without further adeau...

Here's a sneak peak at World 2! Sprybug hasn't publicly released this ROM yet, so please don't PM me asking for it. And this should go without saying, SPOILER ALERT! If you want to discover world 2 for yourself when the game is officially released, please don't watch. Otherwise, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZubRuiqlXw

My appologies for swearing; I tend to do that a lot while playing games. :ponder:

This looks great! Can't wait to play this ROM. I'm really enjoying this version -- great work, Sprybug!

Earlier in the thread there was talk of coding in Megadrive controller functionality. I actually like to use my SMS controllers on my 2600. Will I be able to use bothe SMS buttons with the same code or am I stuck to using one button?

No collision between Mario and enemies, jumping through the ceiling and into the floor, flagpole doesn't work, and scrolling past the end of the level. When I said "FAIL" I was referring to the brokenness of the game mechanics and not the graphics, which were spot on. Just curious, who programmed that, anyway?

You've assumed it was released as "complete". The youtube uploader comment describes it as an engine test, which is what I assumed it was in the first place.

According to the comment it was coded by Pr0be. A bit of searching turns it up in this thread.

Earlier in the thread there was talk of coding in Megadrive controller functionality. I actually like to use my SMS controllers on my 2600. Will I be able to use bothe SMS buttons with the same code or am I stuck to using one button?

From previous tests, it appears that both buttons on an SMS controller can't be read on a 2600.

Genesis / Megadrive controllers are common, very cheap, and more responsive than SMS, plus they are backwards compatible with Atari VCS. You should be able to pick one up at a local used game retailer for about 3-4 USD / Euros regardless of which side of the pond you live on.

Edited by stardust4ever

Oh well. Can't have everything I suppose...

I actually have a couple of Megadrive pads here but I actually prefer to use my SMS Control Stick on my 2600.

I don't really know why. Maybe it's because it's such a simple and humble 'arcade' stick - much like the 2600 is a simple and humble 'arcade' machine.

Oh wow, didn't know people were still talking about it!

Answer: YES...for the Genesis controller. You can use the B&C buttons the Genesis controller for the game. It's already been implemented and will be available when I release the next version.

Edited by Sprybug
  • Like 1

Oh wow, didn't know people were still talking about it!

Answer: YES...for the Genesis controller. You can use the B&C buttons the Genesis controller for the game. It's already been implemented and will be available when I release the next version.

So, to clarify, does that mean that we'll also be able to use the Atari "joypad" style controller as well with those changes? http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=7800&ControllerID=24

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the entire point was to run the software on stock hardware.. It's interesting because the nes put the 2600 to bed once and for all with Super Mario Bros. I don't want to use anything but a standard joystick.

As for the crummy "Super Systems", the 5200 and Coleco had crappy controllers and nobody's parents would cough up cash. Nobody got one. People that did get a 5200 were soon abandoned with no controllers to play games with.

I don't want to play many games with a trackball. That's the only viable option with a crummy 5200.

• Like 1

I thought the entire point was to run the software on stock hardware.. It's interesting because the nes put the 2600 to bed once and for all with Super Mario Bros. I don't want to use anything but a standard joystick.

As for the crummy "Super Systems", the 5200 and Coleco had crappy controllers and nobody's parents would cough up cash. Nobody got one. People that did get a 5200 were soon abandoned with no controllers to play games with.

I don't want to play many games with a trackball. That's the only viable option with a crummy 5200.

I wanted to give the players the option. You can play it on a stock joystick or if you got it and want to, play it with a Genesis controller. It autodetects which one you are using on power-up. I like the Genesis controller because you can use the C button to run and fire and not have to use UP on the Atari Joystick to do it, which can be a little tricky sometimes. Also, it's easier to "duck slide" with the genesis controller.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...