IGNORED

Neo Geo X Gold System to release in December for $199

goldenegg

I'm really confused by this update to the Neo-Geo portable.

Will it ONLY have the twenty built in games or can I play additional games I want to put on it myself?

I thought it was announced to have an SD card slot that would let users put their own Neo-Geo ROMs on it like the Sega Genesis portables out now? If so then I will buy. If not, I will not buy. I own a Neo-Geo MVS already. Unless there's more than the twenty games, most of which I don't care about, I won't buy. For the price I could buy two of those bootleg MVS multicarts that hold hundreds of games and play them on my real arcade cab.

Please someone help clarify this.

Will it ONLY have the twenty built in games or can I play additional games I want to put on it myself?

I thought it was announced to have an SD card slot that would let users put their own Neo-Geo ROMs on it like the Sega Genesis portables out now? If so then I will buy. If not, I will not buy. I own a Neo-Geo MVS already. Unless there's more than the twenty games, most of which I don't care about, I won't buy. For the price I could buy two of those bootleg MVS multicarts that hold hundreds of games and play them on my real arcade cab.

Taken right from the press release:

..." an expandable game card slot"...

So take that as you will. I know anybody interested in it just wants to throw their ROMs on it and get the full Neo Geo library, but I'm sure its not going to be that simple. But hey, you never know.

Taken right from the press release:

..." an expandable game card slot"...

So take that as you will. I know anybody interested in it just wants to throw their ROMs on it and get the full Neo Geo library, but I'm sure its not going to be that simple. But hey, you never know.

Let's be frank.. even if it's "pay for the files"... someone will crack it. I own 60 AES games CIB... I'm not paying for downloaded AES content again. :rolling:

I read in a few places today that the company that will be moving these in the US has deals with Best Buy, Walmart, GameStop and a few others. Mostly all the big box places you would buy games from. They aren't confirming this will be released like that, but there is a good chance. I don't know about the others, but GameStop would seem a likely place for this. The hipsters that hit that place up thinking they are cool talking about older game and complaining that there are no NES titles in the store would eat that shit up. (Maybe that is just in my area, but I hear that shit EVERY TIME I go in the GameStop here in town)

Hm, so there's no real confirmation on if you'll be able to put on your own ROMs then?

I guess I'll wait and see.

Also, how will this be released? Retail? order online? Any word on that?

Who knows. Last I'd heard it was "probably not going to cost $700". I'll wait for reviews.

$199 seems kinda steep, and for just a little more money you could buy the Omega consolized MVS kit from Arcade Works.

Our definitions of 'a little more money' are way off from each other. Given that the Omega costs $499, I'd consider that a huge difference. http://arcadeworks.net/omega-entertainment-machine.html

You do have a valid point though. It's possible to pick up a CMVS for about $250. It isn't portable though.

$199 seems kinda steep, and for just a little more money you could buy the Omega consolized MVS kit from Arcade Works.

Our definitions of 'a little more money' are way off from each other. Given that the Omega costs $499, I'd consider that a huge difference. http://arcadeworks.n...nt-machine.html

You do have a valid point though. It's possible to pick up a CMVS for about $250. It isn't portable though.

The Kit is only $300. Of course you do need the Neo Geo hardware. I've been in the market for a consolized MVS for a while and I can't decide between the Omega Kit and the Analogue Interactive machine.

The portable angle of this device is what intrigues me the most. Look at this thing, its like the son of Neo Geo Pocket.

While I'm not really into handheld gaming, I think I'll skip this one. It looks cool, and I'm a fan of the Neo Geo, but I think I'll stick with my Neo Geo CDZ collection I have right now.

if I'd buy a Neo Geo handheld, I think i'd actually buy the NGPC instead. They have a lot of great and quirky titles on there, really unique.

$200 would be a sweet deal if it was compatible with some kind of cartridges, like MVS games. Outside of that, I'm not sure how I feel about this. The pictures make it look misleading. If ROMs can be loaded on to the handheld though without having to pay extra, it might be worth it.

I hate to be the party pooper, but I just think this is a massive rip off. I mean, for less then $200, I could get a Neo Geo CD console and have access to a lot more Neo Geo games. Heck, for less then $100 more then the Neo Geo X, I could get a PS Vita, and have access to the Playstation Network Store, where I could download classic games-some from SNK. IMO, they need to offer a download service for Neo Geo games for this thing. As it stands now, I'm not interested.

Personally, I would much rather have this nice new portable, than the slow as heck Neo CD. I sold my AES collection a few years ago and wouldn't mind having something compact like this new device. The website states that it comes pre-loaded with 20 games, which should be a good hint that it's expandable. What is the AES stick for though? That's what I can't figure out. Why would I want that for a portable, unless this thing will hook up to a TV.

Personally, I would much rather have this nice new portable, than the slow as heck Neo CD. I sold my AES collection a few years ago and wouldn't mind having something compact like this new device. The website states that it comes pre-loaded with 20 games, which should be a good hint that it's expandable. What is the AES stick for though? That's what I can't figure out. Why would I want that for a portable, unless this thing will hook up to a TV.

I would be very surprised if it didn't hook to a tv. It looks like it's a standard mp4 player and they always have tv-out. I suspect the point of the aes shaped base is trying to be a cute way of handling that.

I guess the big questions involve how good the emulation is, if it will handle the bigger games at all, and how it handles it's non-4:3 built-in screen? Stretch/zoom/bars?

People seem pretty tolerant of 'fat mode' everywhere I go, so probably just stretch. I swear, picture quality in general has dropped ever since we went "high definition". Every time I see a tv in a public place something is always wrong with the shape of the image.

Edited by Reaperman

I guess the big questions involve how good the emulation is, if it will handle the bigger games at all, and how it handles it's non-4:3 built-in screen? Stretch/zoom/bars?

I agree, for that kind of money it has to be pixel-perfect. Maybe the games are rewritten to benefit from the wider viewport (assuming the display is 16:9)?

Not a chance. Either you'll have an OS menu option for bars/stretch, or that won't be the final hardware design. No way will games be re-written, especially looking at their el-cheapo list of games to be included.

Edited by Rex Dart
  • Like 1

Well, I hope they do offer a download service, but only time will tell. I've seen videos of the Neo Geo CD, and the loading times don't look any worse then what I experienced in Fallout 3-and I put 50 hours into that game.

The Neo Geo CD does have some pretty bad loading times. It's most annoying for fighting games. I still love the system and use it regularly.

I'm interested in this, and have no interest in the handheld. I just like the arcade stick. But it's not worth $200 just yet...

Favorite Neo Geo Games of all time, people discuss perhaps?

Off hand I'm thinking Operation Super Spy, Viewpoint, all the Metal Slugs, and of course all those crazy fighting games. :)