IGNORED

Neo Geo X Gold System to release in December for $199

goldenegg

Yeah, you can just "play" these games on just about anything, but any true collector knows that it's not all about "playing" the games or your game collection would be pretty damn small and your computer hard drive would be packed with roms/etc..

My take, yeah, it's a damn nice looking collectable from one of the last companies around that still makes awesome 2D games. Hell, people pay $200 for ceramic precious moments figures that sit on shelves, this is not only awesome to look at but fun to play as well. I think it's worth the asking price and would love for this to do soooo well that they actually start programming and selling brand new downloadable games for it. VERY rarely do I download games, but some exceptions are games that are just so awesome I have to play them and they are available no other way (US playable Deathsmiles II comes to mind) SNK would be possible of making games like that for people like us, one of the few companies that could do it.

Long story short I absolutely love that SNK is doing this and I "would" buy it ASAP...but, I know the mentality of many will be "I can just play these on so and so..." so I would be a fool not to wait for the price drop, as I predict it will unfortunately sell poorly...and drop in price....

Glad they are showing interest in stuff like this though, you never know, an AES home system re-launch could be done if something like this does decent....happened with the Sega Genesis after those little handhelds were made :)

A few points here. SNK is not doing anything. A third party company that has released other handhelds manufactured very cheaply overseas simply licensed the SNK name and design elements and is slapping that on an emulator and ROMs for $200. Also, nobody in a position to provide a real review has actually handled the real final system yet, so nobody knows if it's total garbage or actually good quality. Certainly, their older systems were junk. Perhaps this one will be nicer, we just don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the look of that a lot. At this point I'm leaning more and more in the direction of getting this thing. Is there word on extra controllers and all that yet? I haven't been following this as closely as I could have been and I surely haven't read every post in the this thread as it has gained some size in the time since last I was in it.

A few points here. SNK is not doing anything. A third party company that has released other handhelds manufactured very cheaply overseas simply licensed the SNK name and design elements and is slapping that on an emulator and ROMs for $200. Also, nobody in a position to provide a real review has actually handled the real final system yet, so nobody knows if it's total garbage or actually good quality. Certainly, their older systems were junk. Perhaps this one will be nicer, we just don't know.

Well, yes and no. Just because it is "liscensed and produced" by the cheap overseas company does not neccessarily mean SNK has zero involvement. I assure you if this thing takes off and sells well SNK will end up having a LOT of involvement. On the other hand If it totally bombs then yeah, they will not be doing much...and it likely will bomb unfortunately..

so...'fat mode'? It's hard to see from the video.

Some of the large text does look too fat, but my memory of what it's supposed to look like isn't so hot. I can't tell on the characters because it's so dim.

I sure have always wanted to play neo geo with everything fat and distorted.

Edited by Reaperman

Hi guys,

WOW.....I can't wait to buy this! Since I love Neo-Geo and a avid collector of SNK games & systems, I would love to purchase it!

But where can I buy it? Are they taking any pre-orders on the website or at participating retailers?

Anthony....

As far as I know it's being released December, I haven't heard anything about pre-orders, if you hear somethinh though let us know :)

The NeoGeoX Gold unit has a console with a cartridge slot, but AES games are pretty expensive.

Will it actually be able to run AES cartridges, though? I don't think anyone's been able to confirm that yet.

I figured the "cart port" was where the handheld docks to the console. I hope it's for real AES carts though.

I'm confused as to how gamers who buy this thing will be able to add more games?? Will there be a download service, like the Virtual Console?? The NeoGeoX Gold unit has a console with a cartridge slot, but AES games are pretty expensive.

It has an "expansion slot" most likely DS card so adding games means simply ROMS. Pretty much that is is, I have said before I do NOT see the draw to this beyond the name and license seems to be nothing I cannot already do on my GP2xWIZ / Caanoo / Dingoo etc. PLUS with the mentioned devices I cannot emulate a ton of other platforms to boot. I am not getting the draw or excitement on this one, even form a Neo geo fanboy point of view this offers nothing new.

Will it actually be able to run AES cartridges, though? I don't think anyone's been able to confirm that yet.

I figured the "cart port" was where the handheld docks to the console. I hope it's for real AES carts though.

NO IT WONT, it has been confirmed, the "console" part is nothing more than a docking bay/charge station with AV output, THAT IS THE EXTENT OF IT'S ABILITY. Once again, the joystick and charge base with a portable emulation device, nothing more,

I don't know, but the size of the cart port looks right for AES cartridges. If this unit only has the games that are pre-installed, then it's not worth the money to me. BUT, if you can add more games, then I'd be a lot more interested.