IGNORED

Neo Geo X Gold System to release in December for $199

goldenegg

IGN wouldn't be able to tell you how well the emulation was anyways.

I guess, but many devices with screens use docking stations, not 100% sure how screen will get damaged by just sitting there, dusty maybe. Either way it looks nice, I just think a fake cart slot is kind of tacky. Its like cars that have fake side air scoops.

I wasn't suggesting that the primary purpose of it being inside when docked was such (Although maybe it was their reasoning). What I'm saying is that as long as they designed it this way anyways, at least you get the side benefit of some extra protection for it.

Plus if someone is frequently using the dock for more than just battery charging, why would anyone want it sticking out anyways when playing it on a tv with the arcade controller? I suspect that aesthetics is the reason for why they went the way they did.

Edited by Atariboy

What bothers me most about this thing, is the facts that you can not use original Neo Geo controllers on the docking station to play these games.

The site says: "... we have created a 1:1 all new NEOGEO X Arcade Stick. The experience is 100% the same."

I'm not into handheld gaming, so the only reason I would buy this is to play it on a proper LCD TV. But if it will cost me even more to buy a second controller (to my knowledge they have not yet released a price for the controller) - which by the way I already have - I'll think I will pass.

All in, their way of communicating does not lead me to think that they are very confident about this product performing well (quality-wise and sales-wise alike). I'd think twice before buying one of these...

Well, Ninja Masters is being released on SD card as a pre-order bonus, so maybe there will be more games to come for this system. And if there are, depending on the price, then I'm down. Because the less-expensive Neo Geo X system will retail at GameStop for $129.99, and they have a release date of 2/1/2013 for it. That's cheaper then I could ever get a Neo Geo CD system for.

Bottom line-I'm keeping an eye on this thing.

Edited by ataridave

It's still just emulation. Bottom line this isn't even comparable to getting an AES, MVS, or Neo CD. It's like running Neo Geo roms on a PSP, or modded Xbox. If the name of the game is saving some money that is logical and understandable, but just do emulation on something else. Slap a Neo Geo sticker on one of those and save MORE money.

It's still just emulation. Bottom line this isn't even comparable to getting an AES, MVS, or Neo CD. It's like running Neo Geo roms on a PSP, or modded Xbox. If the name of the game is saving some money that is logical and understandable, but just do emulation on something else. Slap a Neo Geo sticker on one of those and save MORE money.

You could buy all these games on PSN and it'd still wind up cheaper than this thing.

• Like 3

Yeah, but it's legal-I'd rather pay for retro games.

• Like 1

Yeah, but it's legal-I'd rather pay for retro games.

The other options that you mentioned are legal, but although I could probably get an AES for a cheap enough price, too many of the games would be out of my league, in terms of price.

What are the quality of the products that Tommo has made in the past?? I've never owned anything made by them.

I've been undecided for a few weeks now. I feel tempted to get one on the hope it can be hacked to run other emulators, its a good spec and it runs Linux from what ive read. Theres a small chance that the ROM image on the SD card (Ninja Masters) may be standard ROM set zip which has been encrypted. They could be using the 'secure' area of the SD card as well, only time will tell. Holding off for the price drop...

Also curious to know if the controller is detected by Windows as a standard game controller - it is USB by all accounts.

Edited by GadgetUK

I wanted to carry this item at my store, but after seeing wholesale pricing...yeah... Obviously I can't tell anyone what it is, but the profit margins are terrible. I know this doesn't concern prospective buyers like the people in this thread, but just thought I would throw that out there because if profit margins are this bad then its a real deterrent, not only for small stores in supporting the product, but also large retailers. If it doesn't sell that well then large retailers will drop support very quickly if the profit margins are so poor. It looks like Limited Edition comes out early December, but Deluxe Edition (which is basically limited without extra game) comes out Q1 2013 and then just the portable comes out Q2 2013. This is very weird way of doing it and I am unsure why they would do it this way, its possible the distributor is not that confident in the product and if LE does poorly they can pull out after any stage of release.

As a person with access to wholesale lists I must say I don't know how anyone turns a profit on new release items. Seriously. Small shops pay as much if not more than, the price Amazon / Walmart SELLS most new releases. The only benefit is getting it on credit, and luring customers to bring used items to your mom n pop store so you can trade and turn a profit on their old stuff. Media wholesale is a joke these days.

• Like 1

As a person with access to wholesale lists I must say I don't know how anyone turns a profit on new release items. Seriously. Small shops pay as much if not more than, the price Amazon / Walmart SELLS most new releases. The only benefit is getting it on credit, and luring customers to bring used items to your mom n pop store so you can trade and turn a profit on their old stuff. Media wholesale is a joke these days.

Right. If I were to open a brick and mortar I would probably sell new games and systems, but mainly for the reason you suggest. To bring people in people and allow people to trade in for newer stuff. The profit margins for new games are terrible. Even for for the big boys like Amazon their profits aren't that great, its just that they sell so many and can buy in larger bulk.

On the Neo Geo X if you subtract my PayPal or Credit Card fees on the order. My profit (no counting any other expenses except the payment fees) would only be 12.6% and that's selling it at MSRP. As you know after labor and other overhead most likely you'd be lucky to break even if not lose money on the item.

I wanted to carry this item at my store, but after seeing wholesale pricing...yeah... Obviously I can't tell anyone what it is, but the profit margins are terrible. I know this doesn't concern prospective buyers like the people in this thread, but just thought I would throw that out there because if profit margins are this bad then its a real deterrent, not only for small stores in supporting the product, but also large retailers. If it doesn't sell that well then large retailers will drop support very quickly if the profit margins are so poor. It looks like Limited Edition comes out early December, but Deluxe Edition (which is basically limited without extra game) comes out Q1 2013 and then just the portable comes out Q2 2013. This is very weird way of doing it and I am unsure why they would do it this way, its possible the distributor is not that confident in the product and if LE does poorly they can pull out after any stage of release.

As far as I can tell, other than Gamestop, no other brick and mortar retailer is going to carry the unit. If you look at their recent press release, every retailer listed but Gamestop was on-line orders only. I suspect that what is going to happen is that they will just drop ship orders received by those retailers like BestBuy.com and Amazon.com directly. I think it's very clear Tommo/Blaze has little confidence in this product and has put very little financial backing into marketing it. Personally, I was slightly excited at first, but after reading more about it, I have no interest at all. I would rather have paid $200 or $250 for an exact re-release of the original hardware that could play AES games as well as new release multi-carts with licensed games. As others have pointed out, this is just a cheap emulator that has no connection to the original hardware at all.

I think it's very clear Tommo/Blaze has little confidence in this product and has put very little financial backing into marketing it.

I think you hit the nail on the head. When they was first announced I talked to some people in the industry and they said they would be surprised if it ever made it to the U.S. because Tommo is the SNK distributor for the U.S. and they heard Tommo did not think there was a market for this product in the U.S. With how they are releasing the different bundles in stages it tells me that Tommo and SNK came to a deal where they would release in stages and if the product was a failure this would allow Tommo to drop out of distributing it after any stage. Tommo isn't that interested in the product so they aren't investing a lot into its marketing. My guess is Tommo's profits are probably pretty small on this product as well.

I e-mailed Tommo back and asked some questions about the device after getting price sheet and I basically explained my concerns with the pricing model. I asked about 4 or 5 questions. One of them was "Was in minimum amount I can order?" out of all the questions I asked they replied back with just a single line telling me what the minimum was. They did not address any of my concerns or other questions.

I asked them since there is barely any profit on the system will SNK be allowing retailers to sell games at much great profit margins to make up for it. I have no idea if SNK will even end up selling any extra games or what the price will be. No idea if it will be physical media or digital only. If its digital only, I assume the games would be sold through an SNK portal where all profits would go to SNK or SNK + manufacturer. So I would sell the system at no profit and then SNK would get profits from games. I am not seeing where this scenario would be a fair trade off. Its starting to look like this is just a more expensive / higher quality version of the Sega Firecore systems that AtGames released.

I saw a video online of the device, and I have to say, it looks solid. The handheld itself is larger than I expected, and it looks pretty good. The sound--from what little I heard--sounds accurate as well.

Yeah the build quality looks nice from what I have seen. I don't have an issue with the price. For a niche market high quality item with the official Neo Geo brand I think the price is about where i would have guessed by just looking at the product. My issue (besides the wholesale pricing) is obviously what the future of this item is, because the U.S. distributor seems pretty disinterested. I mean has anyone heard of any games coming out for it? Game pricing? Etc. If they really want to get people interested some new SNK developed games released for it would be nice.

• Like 1

Yeah the build quality looks nice from what I have seen. I don't have an issue with the price. For a niche market high quality item with the official Neo Geo brand I think the price is about where i would have guessed by just looking at the product. My issue (besides the wholesale pricing) is obviously what the future of this item is, because the U.S. distributor seems pretty disinterested. I mean has anyone heard of any games coming out for it? Game pricing? Etc. If they really want to get people interested some new SNK developed games released for it would be nice.

I don't know, several websites that got a recent hands on indicated they thought the handheld felt cheaply made. Some thought it felt ok. My concern is that this is a Blaze product manufactured in China and given their track record with their other branded products including some Sega units, the build quality was literally terrible with people having dead units in a week or two after purchase. SNK literally has no part in this other than licensing the name, case and joystick appearance and roms to Blaze. I suspect the reason you aren't seeing a lot of future releases being promoted is that they can't even scrape together enough money to buy an option on releasing those future titles. I seriously doubt even if the product sells well that you will see "new" games developed for it. It's likely any future releases will be more back catalogue titles. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out, but I feel pretty confident these will be liquidated at some point in the next year which is when I will probably grab one.

I don't know, several websites that got a recent hands on indicated they thought the handheld felt cheaply made. Some thought it felt ok. My concern is that this is a Blaze product manufactured in China and given their track record with their other branded products including some Sega units, the build quality was literally terrible with people having dead units in a week or two after purchase. SNK literally has no part in this other than licensing the name, case and joystick appearance and roms to Blaze. I suspect the reason you aren't seeing a lot of future releases being promoted is that they can't even scrape together enough money to buy an option on releasing those future titles. I seriously doubt even if the product sells well that you will see "new" games developed for it. It's likely any future releases will be more back catalogue titles. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out, but I feel pretty confident these will be liquidated at some point in the next year which is when I will probably grab one.

Yeah honestly I haven't looked into too much, the only thing I really watched was the IGN interview with Tommo about the product and from that interview it looked nice, but maybe I am so used to cheap clones that anything looks nicer :P.

All this worry over Tommo and Blaze... I don't think either one of them are actually producing this thing. Aren't they just the distributors for the US and UK? Come to think of it, I don't truly know who IS making them, or even if it's being offered in Japan.

The Japanese wikipedia page for the Neo Geo X lists the old proposed lineup of games, which means its very out of date, which possibly suggests it's not getting released there.