IGNORED

Neo Geo X Gold System to release in December for $199

goldenegg

All this worry over Tommo and Blaze... I don't think either one of them are actually producing this thing. Aren't they just the distributors for the US and UK? Come to think of it, I don't truly know who IS making them, or even if it's being offered in Japan.

The Japanese wikipedia page for the Neo Geo X lists the old proposed lineup of games, which means its very out of date, which possibly suggests it's not getting released there.

Blaze and Tommo are not only the distributors, but the licensees that contracted with a manufacturer in China to produce the units. SNK Playmore has nothing to do with manufacturing this and have never even acknowledged the product on any of their official websites.

All this worry over Tommo and Blaze... I don't think either one of them are actually producing this thing. Aren't they just the distributors for the US and UK? Come to think of it, I don't truly know who IS making them, or even if it's being offered in Japan.

The Japanese wikipedia page for the Neo Geo X lists the old proposed lineup of games, which means its very out of date, which possibly suggests it's not getting released there.

Tommo and Blaze are the distributors though. Without them it doesn't get distributed. Although my guess is Tommo didn't have anything to do with development. Blaze may be the manufacturer because they have made similar systems before I believe. The reason we don't know who the true manufacturer is because most likely whomever is making it wants it to appear like its an SNK made product. Yes its officially licensed by them, but SNK probably had as much to do with developments as Sega did with all those AtGames products.

The the wholesale pricing of the product is priced like its a premium holiday product. A lot of times if a product is in high demand the wholesale price is not that much lower than the MSRP. The reason they can do this is because retailers will carry it just to get people in the door. They may only break even or even lose a little money on the product. In the case of a video game system like the Wii U, for example, the retailers (and event he manufacturer) really aren't making any money on it (sometimes losing), but its about the games and accessories. Most parents buying a Wii U for their kid will also most likely be buying some games for it. The flaw is that the Neo Geo X is priced with the profit margins of a Wii U, but with nothing else for retailers to profit from. Its a niche market item like any clone. Even more so in this case because the Neo Geo brand does not have close to the same cache as Atari, Sega, or Nintendo brands. Its like they are using the razor and blade sales strategy, but they have no blades.

So in the end what will most likely happen is the wholesale pricing stays the same and the product sells poorly it will be dropped very quickly. We may never even see the release of the Deluxe or Standard Edition, at least not in the U.S. Its not even clear if, when, or how new games will come out for this system. I asked Tommo and they just ignored the question, my guess is even they have no clue. This is a problem. Nothing is really clear about the product and no one really seems to want to come forward with what the future plans of the product are. Most likely this is for one of two reasons: the product is believed to have no future or they have no idea. In either case that most likely means it will fail. I have seen better marketing strategies from Hyperkin and Innex regarding their $50 new clone products than this $200 product.

Personally as a retailer and retro gamer I want to see stuff like this succeed. I think it would be excellent is this item did succeed, but the most I (and it appears others) look into it, that doesn't look like its the case. I hope I am wrong though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anybody know if there has been an updated BIOS that allows you unlimited continues on the Neo Geo X gold?

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything since about that! Most in the Neo-Geo community don't support that console at all! Blame Tommo for doing a below par job on it!

Anthony...

Isn't it pretty much dead. Even if Tommo refuses to honor the cease and desist they'll never get Neo Geo to license anymore games. there may be a few that Neo Geo doesn't control (Windjammers perhaps) but that isn't much.

You also have to consider that the people who were going to get one no matter what already have. The rest of us were warned off by the myriad of problems that were reported.

• Like 1