IGNORED

USB loadergx = Gamecube

cimerians

This may be old news to some or maybe it doesn't belong here but I must say dumping one's Gamecube CD's to a hard-drive and playing them just became a whole lot easier thanks to USBloader GX 3.0.

Not sure if any other loaders support GC yet. Haven't looked into that but right now.....it's pretty sweet. Anyone try it?

I have an older version and I've actually been wanting to do this. Does it support a cheat type function for the Gamecube games like Ocarina does for Wii games, or will I still have to use an Action Replay disc? Pretty nice in any case.

Yes Ocarina is listed in the game load screen but I haven't tried it yet. Gamecube covers (3D no less) are included too. :P

Is it possible now?

I'm not sure what loader I'm using to play wii games from my HD. I tried to play GC games before but couldn't. I'll check this 3.0 version for sure!

Great news.

Thanks!

Yup they finally added it.

To anyone that is going to try be warned if you have a WBFS drive. Gamecube games only run off Fat32 and the default path with USBLoader GX is your SD card to rip games to. You will need to use wbfs2fat-0.8.6 to convert your WBFS USB drive to a FAT32 drive or reformat your drive and redump all your games again. Unless you have a huge SD you'll have to do this. You HAVE to change the custom paths for GC Main Game to USB so games dont rip to your SD card.

Just thought I'd let everyone know to save you time.

Edited by cimerians

Thanks, cimerians ,for the info. It really would costs me a lot of time to discover why my WBFS isn't working.

I hacked my wii myself using tutorials but I forgot many things.

My HD has a primary partition with 80GB of fat32, IIRC, a logic partition with around 240 GB in WBFS format.

I guess I can jus put GC games in my primary fat32 partition and give usbloader the right path to access.

...use wbfs2fat-0.8.6 to convert your WBFS USB drive to a FAT32 drive...

Hmm, do you have any details on that? Does it auto-convert the games on the WBFS drive to .WBFS files, or what?

And can already-ripped GC images (iso, gcm) be used, or does this use some weird format that it has to create itself?

...use wbfs2fat-0.8.6 to convert your WBFS USB drive to a FAT32 drive...

Hmm, do you have any details on that? Does it auto-convert the games on the WBFS drive to .WBFS files, or what?

And can already-ripped GC images (iso, gcm) be used, or does this use some weird format that it has to create itself?

It makes a backup and then converts its explained here:

http://gbatemp.net/t...o-fat32-or-ntfs

It makes ISO's of your Gamecube games. I dont know if straight IMGburn rips will work but they appear to be plain ISO files.

There is an option to compress GC images (in USB Loader GX settings) but its turned off by default. All of em' are around 1.3GB.

To use the wbfstofat32 tool you just run it and then click convert to FAT32 on the drive you want to convert.

When you first run it and it scans your drives, if it reports any errors about the WGBS being damaged, that just means you may have a few corrupt games. Choose the option to ignore the error on the following screen. I didnt have any issues and it saved me tons of time.

Edited by cimerians

Thanks, cimerians ,for the info. It really would costs me a lot of time to discover why my WBFS isn't working.

I hacked my wii myself using tutorials but I forgot many things.

My HD has a primary partition with 80GB of fat32, IIRC, a logic partition with around 240 GB in WBFS format.

I guess I can jus put GC games in my primary fat32 partition and give usbloader the right path to access.

Yeah it should work but I'm not 100% if it detects multiple partitions. Im pretty sure it would but I dont have a multi partitioned drive to see. Just go into settings in USB loader GX and point it to the right drive. The setting is called: GC Main Game

GameCube Main Path: This is the path where the games are ripped to.

GameCube SD Path: This is the path used to launch the games from.

Just change the first one to USB:\Games (create a folder in there called Games or whatever unless you want all the gamecube games ripped to the root.)

The second one just leave at SD:\

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

it would be great if there was a way to boot directly to USB Loader GX on powerup. having my entire Wii & GCN libraries on the same screen as my other channels is a godsend. currently at 68 titles with 20+ more to rip, and that doesn't include the full ROMsets of GB/GC/GBA/NES/GEN/GG/TG16/VCS.

once i finish ripping my discs i'm going to tackle SNES/N64/PS1/MAME and attempt to fix LYNX/VECTREX/VBOY as they don't load roms.

it would be great if there was a way to boot directly to USB Loader GX on powerup. having my entire Wii & GCN libraries on the same screen as my other channels is a godsend. currently at 68 titles with 20+ more to rip, and that doesn't include the full ROMsets of GB/GC/GBA/NES/GEN/GG/TG16/VCS.

once i finish ripping my discs i'm going to tackle SNES/N64/PS1/MAME and attempt to fix LYNX/VECTREX/VBOY as they don't load roms.

I think you can but I'm not 100% sure. You have to do it with Bootmii\Priiloader etc. There should be an autoboot setting in there and tell it to autoboot to USB loader.

I never tried it so thats why I'm not sure if it works.

Hey Cim, I'm trying to get this working, but it seems that this functionality depends on a bajillion other things. Did you manually install/set up DML, d2x, MIOS, etc., or had you previously used some all-in-one hack-o-matic installer?

I see what you mean.

When I get home I'll look over what I did because I recently (this past spring I think) updated everything using a custom all in one.

I originally did everything manually with the old Twilight hack. Back then it was tough because you had to account for so many different things. Nowadays a good all in one will have you set with everything and not screw up what you already have.

i used the softmod LetterBomb...maybe that's something totally different than what you guys are talking about.

anyway, i finally got around to actually launching a GCN title. the program tells me it can't run from USB and that it must copy the game to SD prior to running. that is ricockulous and they need to fix that for a future release.

I'm late to the party. I updated my usb loader gx to 3.0, and I ripped a couple gc games just fine, but when I go to play them, my system just restarts. What'd I miss?

DIOS MIOS, apparently. I'm in the middle of installing it (I hope) through ModMii. I have all the junk on the SD card, just haven't bothered to start installing on the Wii yet.

I'm late to the party. I updated my usb loader gx to 3.0, and I ripped a couple gc games just fine, but when I go to play them, my system just restarts. What'd I miss?

DIOS MIOS, apparently. I'm in the middle of installing it (I hope) through ModMii. I have all the junk on the SD card, just haven't bothered to start installing on the Wii yet.

You trying the Wiigator wad right Rex?

One other thing what menu version are you guys on, 4.3?

You trying the Wiigator wad right Rex?

One other thing what menu version are you guys on, 4.3?

WiiGator? Not sure. I'm just hoping whatever method ModMii uses will work.

Running 4.1 system menu.

All that work versus simply inserting a disc.... and playing said game

Why would anyone go through such hell to play a game?

Like Ax said, game jukebox. Same reason people have ROMs. I don't want to have to go dig a disc or cart out of the closet just for a quick fix of Mr Driller Drill Land.

All that work versus simply inserting a disc.... and playing said game

Why would anyone go through such hell to play a game?

Am I missing something?

Games on hard disc = ease of use. Simple as that.

Plus if I decide to take the Wii on the road all I have to do is pack the Wii and the hard drive. Or if I only plan on playing a few games slap them on a USB stick or SD card and run them from there. It also means less wear and tear on the CD drive. And a ton of other reasons.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 2