IGNORED

Nintendo Power is coming to an end...

Animan

This from GameSpot:

Nintendo Power outage.

Nintendo Power was produced and distributed by Nintendo from 1988 to 2007, at which time the Mario maker tapped Future Publishing to handle the magazine. According to the site's source, Nintendo was not interested in renewing its contract with Future or in participating in a range of "digital initiatives that Future saw as necessary for the long-term health of the brand."

The source said Nintendo had always been "difficult to work with" and added that the Wii U maker has no interest in reclaiming direct control of the magazine. As of press time, neither Future nor Nintendo had responded to GameSpot's requests for comment.

Nintendo Power writers and staffers were informed of the magazine's closure last week, according to the source. These people are now being moved to other Future labels, including GamesRadar and MacLife. The closure of Nintendo Power should not affect Future's other gaming-focused magazines, including Best Buy's @Gamer, Edge, Official Xbox Magazine, PlayStation: The Official Magazine, and PC Gamer.

Nintendo Power editor Phil Theobald confirmed the magazine's closure on Twitter following the publication of Ars Technica's story, writing, "Well, that got out." He also teased that the editorial staff has "something pretty sweet" planned for the final issue.

According to official press materials, Nintendo Power has a total readership of 475,000. It is unclear how subscribers will be compensated for their subscription fees when the magazine ceases publication.

Last November, GamePro shut down. That monthly magazine launched in 1989, and closed as a result of a lack of advertising money.

Sounds pretty legit to me.

I remembered way back when, when a magazine shut down, they would transfer your remaining issues to another magazine of your choice within that publishing empire.

It's amazing how far magazines have come from the old days. I remember reading about E3 in October and November issues. The 3 month lag was crazy but enough back then with the regular slow releases from Nintendo, Sega, and Atari. Nowadays, so many games are released so quickly, that would've been terrible. But nowadays, turnaround for magazines are so amazingly fast. I'd be reading Sports Illustrated and they'd be covering an Olympic event that just happened a couple of days ago. And you check out a magazine like Game Informer, its information is so current.

I was a subscriber from 1989 until 2007... nearly the entire length of the Nintendo-run years. I definately agree that the magazine took a turn for the worse once the Web became a presence.... but that's to be expected.

There really was something awesome about getting a thick magazine full of gaming news, back in the days when that was your ONLY source of gaming news. You'd go a whole month hearing nothing new, and then get pages and pages delivered to you... a monthly information overload. Ahhhh... And honestly, comparing what you'd learn in a gaming mag once a month, to picking up scraps on internet sites every day... maybe the magazine delivered more consistently.

Eh well. It was fun while it lasted. I think I'm going to have to pick up the final issue, for old times sake.

• Like 2

Ahhhh... And honestly, comparing what you'd learn in a gaming mag once a month, to picking up scraps on internet sites every day... maybe the magazine delivered more consistently.

I subscribed from 89-93, myself, and, to further your point: Game Informer was the superior mag until it wet digital a few years back. In this case, I don't think that the writing has suffered - it's just that the format is superior. Maybe we older folk are hard-wired that way.

Here's an interesting (IMO) video tribute to Nintendo Power:

I was a subscriber for many, many years. Back in the days of the NES - SNES I found that NP really complimented owning those systems and I looked forward to receiving each and every issue in the mail. But my interest in NP waned during the time of the GameCube - Wii and I let my subscription expire.

Mendon

• Like 1

Nintendo Power died when it was panned out to a non-Nintendo entity.

Thats true. I remember subscribing in the old old days like I mentioned 89' or 90' and then I took a look at the magazine when the Gamecube\Wii was out (mid 2000's?) and it just wasn't the same. It felt like someone ELSE was writing about Nintendo. Hard to explain.

I really liked when they started doing the subscriber editions. They'd list some of the games that would be featured in the issue at the bottom, and let the artwork stand on it's own. They'd also print the volume number in the same place (bottom left) each time, which made organizing the things in order way easier.

Nintendo-Power-May-Issue-Subscriber-Newsstand-copies1.png

Really makes a difference.

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

I never had the money to get these, but always loved to see them when my friends would sneak them to school. I really wish I had some of the NES and SNES stuff now but I just haven't found anything that jumps out at me deal wise. Maybe one day I'll finally get some of these. I have finally started with some AA mags, maybe that will push me toward this.

This is going to make the price of the old issues go up again. Which really doesn't add up right as those aren't going to be any rarer. That said, you watch, it will happen.

Classified Information was the best. Don't Hassle the Hoff is the worst. I hate the personas that some of the writers felt was necessary

I like the little section regarding WiiWare/DSiWare/VC. Very useful info and it's always pleasing to the eyes to see old games in print again, like that full-page article they started adding that would be dedicated to one old game.

Nintendo Power was my second magazine subscription ever (and one that I continually renewed several times).

What was the pre NP magazine called? Those were awesome at the time! After the NES days... Or perhaps at some point during the SNES years, the magazine started to go downhill. It's about time it gets retired and perhaps Nintendo can do a quarterly magazine for fans who register their games or something.

Farewell Nintendo Power... It was fun.

What was the pre NP magazine called?

You might be thinking of The Nintendo Fun Club News, which was a free quarterly newsletter. I believe it was even mentioned in Punch Out when Mac's trainer is giving tips.... something like "Join Nintendo Fun Club".

Mendon