IGNORED

Atari Flashback 4 Review

In this video, I take an exclusive early look at the Atari Flashback 4 from AtGames, which will be released in the US in time for the holidays. This is part 1. Part 2, which will be released a week or so after, will feature more live footage to get an even better sense of the quality of the system and its capabilities. Look for part 1 of 2 of Armchair Arcade's next exclusive video review, coming soon, on several new Sega-related products from AtGames, which will also be released in time for the US holiday season.

Disclosure: I provided unpaid consulting services to AtGames during the creation of this product. This consulting was related to product performance and marketing feedback, but did not involve anything related specifically to its engineering or production. All review units were provided by AtGames.

The link to the blog post on Armchair Arcade.

• Like 6

did you say these wireless controllers work with original hardware?? how is that possible? is there a receiver plugged into the FB4 ?

No, the included infrared controllers only work with the Flashback 4. They also sell wired joysticks and paddles separately that work with everything that uses Atari-style joysticks, including the two controller ports.

• Like 1

It looks like Space Invaders is taken directly from their Taito "Space Invaders" all-in-one. Front Line is an odd choice, but it likely came with whatever Taito license they were able to negotiate, although I wonder where they got the rights to the Coleco-made ROM. I do find the use of the pirate box shot amusing, however.

It looks like Space Invaders is taken directly from their Taito "Space Invaders" all-in-one.

I haven't played that particular one, but yeah, it's a very odd inclusion. I personally love the 2600 original and wish it was included as well, but this port - whatever its origin - is hard to complain about overall--it actually plays really well. I'll see if I can ask though about the reasoning.

• Like 1

It looks like Space Invaders is taken directly from their Taito "Space Invaders" all-in-one.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. To my knowledge, AtGames has never made a Taito anything. Might you be thinking of the 2004 Arcade Legends Taito plug-n-play from Radica Games (5-in-1; you're probably not thinking of this one, since its Space Invaders is clearly a port and doesn't look like what's in Bill's footage) or the 2011 TV Games "Retro Arcade featuring Space Invaders" Taito plug-n-play from Jakks Pacific (10-in-1)? The emulation engine in the Jakks product was developed by Code Mystics and is, in that specific incarnation, for Generalplus hardware. It would not work on AtGames' ARM hardware. However, since Jakks' system was running the arcade ROM, it's reasonable to assume this FB4, also emulation-based, is running the arcade ROM, too, hence the resemblance. It certainly doesn't look like anything a 2600 could output. I have to say, though, that it's odd to have an arcade emulator programmed for the product, to play just one game.

I do find the use of the pirate box shot amusing, however.

Pirate box shot? I assumed the packaging shown in Bill's video was the actual box that AtGames will use, or at least a mockup of what they intend to use.

Bill, do you have a list handy of what new games (paired with the companies they're from) are in the FB4? I know you showed the full game selection menu in the video, but I have no idea which of those games were in their FB3 and which are new--and I'll admit I'm too lazy to look up and compare the lists side by side myself. Besides, I'm not familiar enough with the 2600 library to know which of those titles are from third parties, besides Taito.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

In this video, I take an exclusive early look at the Atari Flashback 4 from AtGames, which will be released in the US in time for the holidays. This is part 1. Part 2, which will be released a week or so after, will feature more live footage to get an even better sense of the quality of the system and its capabilities. Look for part 1 of 2 of Armchair Arcade's next exclusive video review, coming soon, on several new Sega-related products from AtGames, which will also be released in time for the US holiday season.

Disclosure: I provided unpaid consulting services to AtGames during the creation of this product. This consulting was related to product performance and marketing feedback, but did not involve anything related specifically to its engineering or production. All review units were provided by AtGames.

The link to the blog post on Armchair Arcade.

Okay, I have to ask. I noticed "Tempest" was one of the game in the selection screen. Does it work with the driving controller?

Pirate box shot? I assumed the packaging shown in Bill's video was the actual box that AtGames will use, or at least a mockup of what they intend to use.

Bill, do you have a list handy of what new games (paired with the companies they're from) are in the FB4? I know you showed the full game selection menu in the video, but I have no idea which of those games were in their FB3 and which are new--and I'll admit I'm too lazy to look up and compare the lists side by side myself. Besides, I'm not familiar enough with the 2600 library to know which of those titles are from third parties, besides Taito.

onmode-ky

No, that's the final packaging. I'm sure I was not the only one to suggest that they differentiate the Flashback 4 from the previous model's packaging, so they eventually did after the early revisions.

I'm out-of-contact for this week, but when I put up part two, I'll try and do a comparison between the system's games. I can say though that some games were dropped, others were added between the two.

Hmm... It looks like they took the "LEVEL 01" from my 7800 port of Space Invaders (I didn't see the point of putting "CREDITS 00" at the bottom). They also made them all move in unison like I did.

I wonder if they used my port as a starting point...

Perhaps, but it's unlikely. I'll ask and get whatever details I can. According to Curt Vendel, who provided technical consultation, Taito was the one who requested they make a new version of Space Invaders and not use the original. Beyond that, not too many details.

• Like 2

The pirate packaging I spoke of was the box shot of Front Line that was in the video when the game was selected. You can see it briefly at 6:26, I'm pasting in a screen capture

.qB6PX.png

I guess I got confused at who did the latest Taito plug-and-play. It does look like a new implementation.

Edited by bcombee

The pirate packaging I spoke of was the box shot of Front Line that was in the video when the game was selected. You can see it briefly at 6:26, I'm pasting in a screen capture ...

Probably a rights issue again. It's kind of frustrating there's so much red tape with licensing various aspects of an old game...

• Like 1

I compared the footage of Space Invaders from Bill's video against footage of the game in Jakks' recent Taito TV Game from Austin's review of that unit, and this one is definitely not a straight arcade emulation as that one was (yes, I'm not the first to realize this, but I wanted to explicitly state it). The most obvious differences: this one fits a 4:3 aspect ratio; as PacManPlus noted, the Invaders all move in unison; the text is not identical. They do a good job with the sound effects' fidelity, though. Still, what's on the FB4 is neither a 2600 ROM nor an arcade Space Invaders ROM . . . so was that just newly written/compiled to run natively on the ARM, then? That would probably be the easiest way to get it done.

Bill, do you know if their software (emulators, menus) is internally developed or if they contract an outside developer?

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Very strange that they used the 2600 port of Front Line, but an emulation (or re-creation) of arcade Space Invaders instead of its ultra-popular 2600 port. Wonder if Jungle Hunt or Polaris are the 2600 versions or the arcade versions?

I thought that I showed them, but if not, I'll do it in part two. Jungle Hunt and Polaris are the original 2600 Atari and Tigervision releases.

• Like 1

I compared the footage of Space Invaders from Bill's video against footage of the game in Jakks' recent Taito TV Game from Austin's review of that unit, and this one is definitely not a straight arcade emulation as that one was (yes, I'm not the first to realize this, but I wanted to explicitly state it). The most obvious differences: this one fits a 4:3 aspect ratio; as PacManPlus noted, the Invaders all move in unison; the text is not identical. They do a good job with the sound effects' fidelity, though. Still, what's on the FB4 is neither a 2600 ROM nor an arcade Space Invaders ROM . . . so was that just newly written/compiled to run natively on the ARM, then? That would probably be the easiest way to get it done.

Bill, do you know if their software (emulators, menus) is internally developed or if they contract an outside developer?

onmode-ky

I don't know the details, but there was an emulator guy there, so I imagine it's from scratch, particularly since they were able to make improvements based on suggestions, and do it relatively quickly between early revisions of the 4. I think you're on the right path in thinking that the underlying hardware and emulation engine was leveraged for the Space Invaders port rather than the straight up capabilities of the Atari 2600. Curious decision (though again, hard to argue against the quality of the results), but hopefully we'll have some more details soon...

• Like 2

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this on AtariAge. Maybe we felt burned or generally so unimpressed with the 3, that 4, 5 and beyond is just a footnote. No sudden screams of "ATARI RISES AGAIN! THIS IS THE COMEBACK FOR ATARI!". Nope, just another dedicated console.

First off, IR controllers are just plain bad. I have a Famiclone with IR controllers. A cord is reliable. Your cat can walk over it, and it will still work. Cat gets in the way of the IR path, and you lose a life in a game. At least there's a corded option.

So with Space Invaders and such, is there potential for more? There were a TON of games available for just the 2600 platform, but licensing seems to keep most of them off.

Also, was this project made on a tight deadline?

AtGames are the same company that have done many of the Sega Genesis clones, including those odd wireless ones that were sold cheap in Walgreens type stores. I put this stuff on par with the Jaks Pacific stuff. Novelty, pretty good functionality, no substitute for the original of course. I suspect it will make a nice cheap gift for people who want to reminisce but I figured everyone had done that already.

Bob, by the way, really the only thing to get me to buy another Atari Flashback is something radically different. Such as a true hardware redesign for the Atari 5200, 7800, Lynx, Colecovision, something like that. I'm not a fan of the system on a chip, although sometimes it's done right. I really dig those SupaBoy's that can play SNES cartridges, in addition to that retro Genesis one that played carts and roms on a SD card.

It's true that by the fourth time, the luster has worn off these. However, these are still great for the casual fan/shopper.

Infrared is not ideal, but there's also no noticeable lag, plus there's always the option to use wired controllers, so there's no real downside.

I haven't had the chance to post the review yet, but you'll be blown away by what AtGames did with the Sega console and handheld. They're both near perfect and dirt cheap.

• Like 2

To me, the main thing that is of interest with these releases is the prospect of new paddles and joysticks. I HOPE that they are sturdy and strong, and well-made. Will the paddles be paired in twos like the originals, Bill? There are less paddles out there every year, so this could be cool. That being said, I have an FB3 but haven't tried the joysticks from it yet. Not sure how they measure up to the originals. Thoughts from others?