IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest 2012 - Status

skr

Only thing slightly wrong if you will with the Asteroid emu is that its very easy to hyperspace on the DPAD..

Would have rather it was SPACE BAR activated..

but, brilliant work ...

GET A PROPER JOYSTICK :D

Last year we agreed that it would be better, when we do not talk about the releases before the voting. So not to manipulate the result.

This year, everybody is just blubbering away without even asking. :(

To be clear, I am NOT saying this, because HAR'em gets no comments. Didn't expected it to get much love.

Honestly, when you can win this competition with 6 weeks of work, it would be a shame :)

OK, on the other side, how many ABBUC members who vote for the compo read in AA anyhow ;)

An interesting idea would be a Vote/Poll on this forum AFTER the ABBUC competition is over.

Just my two cents.

I thought about this but I'm sure people will all make their own minds up, often there is little info on the games so discussing them creates more interest - I commented on all the games to find out more - number of levels / possible game length for a shooter would be important when voting, but in a few days before the votes you can't fully explore a game. A game might have get less marks if people didn't realise it was a work in progress ;)

Four in total, each slightly longer than the previous.

The pause mode in Callisto was down on the "fix before release" list but i didn't get enough time to write the code to maintain the multiplexer cleanly.

If supporting the keyboard is a pain perhaps you could use fire held down for a long period to active pause (poss with a joystick movement when held) :ponder: Does Callisto have repeat levels / increased difficulty (hopefully) or an ending?

• Like 1

NEVAR!!!!! (Best Winston Churchill voice possible)

My MS Xbox360 USB is lovely!!

Actually I'd love to get those mini sticks again, the metal shaft one, little round ball head, they were ace, Sensible soccer with one of those was a treat.

(yeah I know, Sensible was never on the 8bit, should be tho)

Worst joystick on the 8 bit, the Le Stick, the mercury based tilt affair, being the TEch sales for Maplin Electronics back in the Atari days had its definite pluses, like playing with all the bloody expensive hardware for free :)

But that stick was APPALLING...

Edited by Mclaneinc

@Creature XL

The problem is that this year an ABBUC member broke Contest's rules releasing the programs before the contest.

Without standing on either side: the rules of the contest are only for the participants and not for the Abbuc members. Maybe this is a good occasion to revise the rules...

• Like 1

God, I remember these, never able to shift one of these joysticks..

atari_terminator_joystick.jpg

They should cross that design with the Cheetah Annhilator they used to give away with the C64 towards the end of its life.

Then you'd have something that would look like a grenade and shatter into a spray of shrapnel after about 10 seconds

If supporting the keyboard is a pain perhaps you could use fire held down for a long period to active pause (poss with a joystick movement when held) :ponder:

Working out if pause should activate isn't the problem, the issue is that the IRQ-based part of the multiplexer needs constant maintenance from the runtime and, if that skips a frame because it's trying to get into or out of pause mode, it can lead to some very messy side effects; at best the sprites disappear for a frame or two but at worst it can accidentally mark all six object slots full for one frame when the wave engine asks for another.

Does Callisto have repeat levels / increased difficulty (hopefully) or an ending?

It's got an ending with a score bonus. Increasing the difficulty is pretty much impossible because the sprite engine is either close to or totally maxed out a lot of the time so there's no free object slots for another nasty.

• Like 1

Without standing on either side: the rules of the contest are only for the participants and not for the Abbuc members. Maybe this is a good occasion to revise the rules...

Actually, it's not a problem of Contest rules.

I always knew that ABBUC members are not allowed to spread ABBUC's magazine disks (released three times a year).

However I am not able to find such a rule. But I don't know German...

Hi Mathy.

ABBUC receives for all registered software the rights of first publication. The copyright remains with

the author who might use his software freely after the end of the contest.

(ABBUC Software Contest 2012 rules)

It's clear that ABBUC has the right of first publication, not authors neither ABBUC's members.

I always knew that ABBUC members are not allowed to spread ABBUC's magazine disks (released three times a year).

I know german but I've never read or heard such a rule. Usually there is nothing special on the magazine disks, only the new stuff you will find in the internet anyway. Only one time per year you will find something special: the contributions to the software contest. For some people it may be one reason for being member of abbuc.

It seems to be some kind of nostalgia to get four (!) times a year a physical disk with the newest atari stuff per (snail) mail. I love it although I can download all the stuff at atariage, fandal or atarionline.

"abbuc software contest controversy" here on atariage... I love it :thumbsup: :D

It seems to be some kind of nostalgia to get four (!) times a year a physical disk with the newest atari stuff per (snail) mail. I love it although I can download all the stuff at atariage, fandal or atarionline.

Exactamudo :thumbsup:

re the Callisto thanks for the replies :thumbsup: just got further into the 2nd level - 17,130 like the fact you can shoot most of the baddies - perhaps all of them, assuming I am good of course |:)

HAR'em gamplay would immediately benefit from having single fire (players can use autofire if they want it). I completed the one level(game) and got the 'NICE' message 8,700. Like the dual spread fire :)

MazezaM - really neads that code or level skip also. Got to level 11 this time but would have to play through from the start to get this far again :( Like the use of the effects on the title screen etc - if games have space it's neat to see some neat things that were perhaps used in demos added to jazz games up :thumbsup:

HAR'em gamplay would immediately benefit from having single fire (players can use autofire if they want it). I completed the one level(game) and got the 'NICE' message 8,700. Like the dual spread fire :)

Please don't tell me I have sent a debugging build to the Abbuc.

The game should not fire automatically like Zybex.

This mode is for testing. What happens when you press keys 1 - 3?

I always knew that ABBUC members are not allowed to spread ABBUC's magazine disks.

I know german but I've never read or heard such a rule.

Strange.

So, everytime a member receives the ABBUC magazin he can make an atr of the attached disk (or simply go to ABBUC reserved download area for members and download it) and publish it?

@Ridiculous Reality:

Great game, excellent title pic!

Only thing I don't like is that 'jump' when player crosses room boundaries...

Wouldn't it be better if player would just pass behind room boundaries with same trajectory-path as if they were not there ?

Maybe it makes problems with jumping from bottom room to upper room (height of jump is not enough to reach upper platform) ?

Anyway: Excellent game! :)

Please don't tell me I have sent a debugging build to the Abbuc.

The game should not fire automatically like Zybex.

This mode is for testing. What happens when you press keys 1 - 3?

nothing!!

Are we ok to vote by email until the date of the abbuc meeting on the 27th?

Been playing the games :)

Caterpillar (TBAS) - still need to play this with others but if it's half the fun of Killer Cycle it's sure to please. A 4 player simultaneous paddles game :cool:

Unfortunately Caterpillar is pretty much unplayable :(

Two of us had a go on an 800XL using paddles - the movement is way too slow in responding making game time a couple of seconds and very frustrating. (also the game should allow using fire to start/restart as some of us have an Atari under their TV; could do with using a 4 colour mode for 4 players). Hopefully the author will be making an improved version as it's a really good idea for a game :)

nothing!!

At so the manual change of the shot type and shot stage 1-3 is disabled at least ;)

Can you, or anybody, give a short answer if the ship fires automatically without pressing the trigger button?

that i show I understood the post above. And that is clearly not desired or needed. The last I did before the deadline was to adjust the collision of the shots, so it's possible that I I forgot to undefine the flag for the auto-fire.

At so the manual change of the shot type and shot stage 1-3 is disabled at least ;)

Can you, or anybody, give a short answer if the ship fires automatically without pressing the trigger button?

that i show I understood the post above. And that is clearly not desired or needed. The last I did before the deadline was to adjust the collision of the shots, so it's possible that I I forgot to undefine the flag for the auto-fire.

It only fires when you press fire! I meant play would be more rewarding with single fire (like erm Callisto :D ) rather than holding fire down.

Well,

it fires only, when you press the fire-button. Since it is a shooter-game (shmup as the Commodores say) and you have to fire constantly, I activated auto-fire on my favourite joystick - a Quickshot 2. With auto-fire enabled, playing thru level 1 was very easy and worked already with the 1st try. You then get back to the title screen, but if you press START again, nothing happens, just a black screen is visible (program crash I think, since no other level is there). Therefore I not only added an automatic Basic-off, but also a coldstart routine to the program (same as Poke 580,1 where Reset will do a coldstart), so you can easily leave it, when you finished that level...

-Andreas Koch.

Since it is a shooter-game (shmup as the Commodores say)

Actually, although i believe the term was coined by Zzap! 64 magazine (as a contraction of "shoot 'em up"), "shmup" it has been in general use since the 1980s amongst gamers to refer to 2D shooters generally; the majority of use now is nothing to do with the C64 and personally i dislike the term and detest the derogatory "Euroshmup" even more.

That said, i quite like the idea of "shmuppet" as a word for someone who plays shoot 'em ups so what do i know... =-)

Well,

it fires only, when you press the fire-button. Since it is a shooter-game (shmup as the Commodores say) and you have to fire constantly, I activated auto-fire on my favourite joystick - a Quickshot 2. With auto-fire enabled, playing thru level 1 was very easy and worked already with the 1st try. You then get back to the title screen, but if you press START again, nothing happens, just a black screen is visible (program crash I think, since no other level is there). Therefore I not only added an automatic Basic-off, but also a coldstart routine to the program (same as Poke 580,1 where Reset will do a coldstart), so you can easily leave it, when you finished that level...

-Andreas Koch.

Automatic BASIC-off? Have you checked the file? Its the first thing I do in the first segment:

movei_w dlist_prep,SDLSTL

lda PORTB

ora #2

sta PORTB

movei $02,COLOR4

sta COLOR2

movei $ec,COLOR0

movei $7a,COLOR1

However, the restart of the game worked here sometimes, but this were the least of my worries.

Making it playable, was hard enough. For all who played it it looks kinda simple, however, I am proud of it.

My first shooter in 6 weeks of free time (not 6 days a 40h) :)

And most of the stuff can't even be seen because the game isn't finished. :P

Further, button-bashing or not wasn't really decided. I think its better not to do, as it doesn't work on some joysticks.

When aiming for game pads button-bashing would be a must have!

However, as it is now a game for the Atari community, input is really welcome for the "final" release. However, just minor things and NOTHING about the level layout!

Its a quickly thrown together level. I am currently in the progress designing the (2) levels.

Planned beta release (only given to some guys) is the first WE of November.

The weekend after that I release what I got until then and then concentrate on the 16col mode from Popmillo :)

• Like 1

Hello CreatureXL

You really need to come to the next NOMAM and Fujiama. It'll give you an extra 5 or 6 days to work on your software. And it seems like the high dosage of Nutella, taken in the early morning, does miracle things to programmers.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS look here for more info on the NOMAM and Fujiama meetings. The date for the next Fujiama will probably be announced next saturday.

Automatic BASIC-off? Have you checked the file? Its the first thing I do in the first segment:

movei_w dlist_prep,SDLSTL

lda PORTB

ora #2

sta PORTB

movei $02,COLOR4

sta COLOR2

movei $ec,COLOR0

movei $7a,COLOR1

(snip)

Err well,

maybe you don`t know, I am not a programmer and I have never really programmed anything (just ripped some routines or basic lines here and there). So the assembler source you are giving me is the same as chinese to me, I do not understand anything... surely others do, I don`t. And err, it was not my job to inspect any programs source-code, I just had to collect all programs for the ASC 2012 and put them on as few disks as possible (thats why I packed some of them) and also make sure or better test, that they load and run fine...

If you look at the Abbuc disk or disk-image, you will see, that HAR`em has been packed by me (with Flashpacker 2.1 and Code3-Cruncher if I remember correctly), so your Basic-off routine is "inside" the packed data. However, the packed data itself requires Basic-off and thats why I had to add another Basic-off routine - its from Bill Wilkinson (he partially worked on Atari Basic and wrote the book Inside Atari Basic) and it was published in Compute! magazine in the early 80s and has an enormous length of 45 or 55 bytes... ;-)

And while I added these "many" bytes to your program, I packed it and therefore made it some kilobytes shorter on the disk... ;-) -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin