IGNORED

2012 Portland Retro Gaming Expo! Who will be there?

There are a ton of options in the immediate area around the convention center, including the Crown Plaza, where the event was held two and three years ago.

The more adventurous and thrify visitors may want to consider some of the lodging in the Burnside district. I am told that Portland's skid row hotels are among the finest in the nation.

Fun Fact: the term "Skid Row" began in Portland. What turned into Burnside St. began as the "skid road" where logs were dragged down from the west hills to mills / barges on the Willamette River. Later, the area became a haven for the homeless and disenfranchised and you can still see them there today.

To learn more about Skid Row, please visit your local library. You know, the building where the rest of the the homeless and disenfranchised hang out.

I did already know that Burnside was a "skid row" but it's nice to know that someone else was also aware. It's funny how 100+ years later not much has changed. The top of the hill is nice and one of the worst parts of Portland is right at the bottom of the hill on the end of the bridge. Not to scare anyone away who is coming from out of town. We're not talking about Detroit or Oakland here it's just bad for Portland.

On another note, here's the list of hotels we are working with this year:

http://retrogamingexpo.com/lodging.php

Doubletree, Crowne Plaza and others are super close. The Jupiter is much cooler but 1/2 mile or so away.

Not to scare anyone away who is coming from out of town. We're not talking about Detroit or Oakland here it's just bad for Portland.

Much like the Ebola outbreak in Portland, it's not like Africa, just bad for Portland.

I always stay at the Ace Hotel when I come to Portland. It's hipster as all get out, but it's right in the sweet spot, location-wise.*

Not sure if I'll be able to come to any kind of after-hours activities. I'll just be at the show for the day on Saturday, raping and pillaging all of the booths. Got family stuff to do in the evenings.

Chris

* Not if you're only there for the expo, though. But it is walking to distance everywhere downtown and everywhere in the Pearl District, which is where Ground Kontrol, Powell's Books, and Billy Galaxy are. You can take the light rail over to the expo from there.

Yes, Powell's Books is great, I need to go there again. Along with Ground Kontrol, which I've only had the pleasure of visiting once.

..Al

They're filming The Real World a few blocks from Powell's if heckling those people is of interest to any of you.

Yes, Powell's Books is great, I need to go there again. Along with Ground Kontrol, which I've only had the pleasure of visiting once.

..Al

It's the best retro arcade I have been to, it is almost as good as the big ones (arcades) from the eighties. Check out the Baby Pac, I restored it and sold it to them a little while back.

..Al

They're filming The Real World a few blocks from Powell's if heckling those people is of interest to any of you.

Where are they staying, the Real World cast? There are no houses or any decent condos/apartments within a few blocks.

• Like 1

Actually, if anyone wants to, we should get a group of guys together for a little local beer-drink hang-out. Everyone, PM me if you're interested, I'll mantle the responsibility of arranging particulars. :) I think we have enough time to get a big table at a local place for dinner & a nice brew with some good Atari discussion! :)

Mmmmm. Beer. :)

Whoa! How did I miss this before?

I attended this back when it was in SeaTac and called the NWCGE. I used to have my own biz at the time before I turned animator called "Vintage Fun World" and was a vendor twice at it, plus I won the Atari 2600 Champtionship in 2006. ;)

Now here I am living in Portland and I MUST attend, especially if AtariAge is going to be there. I need to go sign-up!

I attended this back when it was in SeaTac and called the NWCGE. I used to have my own biz at the time before I turned animator called "Vintage Fun World" and was a vendor twice at it, plus I won the Atari 2600 Champtionship in 2006. ;)

Now here I am living in Portland and I MUST attend, especially if AtariAge is going to be there. I need to go sign-up!

that was a long time ago (at least it seems like it) welcome back!

Rick

that was a long time ago (at least it seems like it) welcome back!

Rick

Yep a long time ago, but is sure was fun :)

Welcome back!

..Al

Where are they staying, the Real World cast? There are no houses or any decent condos/apartments within a few blocks.

NW 9th & Davis, above some business.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I was informed of this thread by Rick. I am Trevor and I run a new retro video game store in Portland called Bald Guy Video Games and I'll be having a booth at the expo this year. Tell me you are from atari age and i'll give you 10% off anything you want to buy. I keep meaning to post more here with things to sell whatnot, but I just get so busy with everything that I just don't find the time yet, but I will. I love lurking here though and just reading things so you keep me entertained. :)

I also wanted to add that I have actually seen a rise in walk in traffic and I would say 70% at least or more say that they found me on prge as a vendor and that's how they found out about my store. So i'm already getting benefit by the sheer fact that i'm listed as a future vendor. So just wanted to say thank you for that it's awesome. I hope after the expo that people will get to know my store even more and then i'll have more regular traffic.

Very very much looking forward to this expo. I've never been a vendor at a trade show or expo before and my only real exposure to this kind of environment is when I went to Comic Con like 5 or so years ago and that was just so huge, bloated, and insane that I know this isn't even comparable and should be much more enjoyable than Comic Con.

Hey Trevor! Glad to see you got a booth. This is Toby that sold you that pile of NES consoles from CL.

Like Rick Weis and Recycledgamer, I will also be going because I am one of the organizers of the show. Glad to hear that AA will have a booth again this year. Less than a month away and I can't wait!

Yes I definitely remember you Toby as I still want to get back out to your massive warehouse and do some buying from you. I am finding myself in need of more stock and I still day dream about your stash as it really was that amazing to me. I know that came out a little weird, sorry. ;)

Anyways be sure to come by and say hi again cause i'll be there and having some mini retro tournaments at my booth throughout the day. I can't wait cause it's going to be awesome. Oh and the NES systems mostly worked just fine and now I have a stock of them to last me a while and only had to quick sell a handful of them with severe blinking. Still haven't figured out what to do with all the random hardware, but that's part of the fun I guess.

If anyone else is going to be around during non-expo days feel free to come by my store and I might be able to fill some missing holes in the collection before you go back to wherever is home for you. Don't think i'll have time to run any tournaments outside of the expo, but oh well.

Ok i'll stop before this becomes a novel post.

If anyone else is going to be around during non-expo days feel free to come by my store and I might be able to fill some missing holes in the collection before you go back to wherever is home for you.

Hi Trevor - this is Chuck and we haven't met yet, but I am one of the PRGE organizers. Welsome to the Expo!

Just wondering where your store is? Also, do you have some flyers? We can bring some out to you.

Chuck

If anyone else is going to be around during non-expo days feel free to come by my store and I might be able to fill some missing holes in the collection before you go back to wherever is home for you.

Hi Trevor - this is Chuck and we haven't met yet, but I am one of the PRGE organizers. Welsome to the Expo!

Just wondering where your store is? Also, do you have some flyers? We can bring some out to you.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, always glad to meet people associated with PRGE even if it is digitally for now and thanks for the welcome.

You can find me easily enough in google places which gives more info, but my address is

8700 SW 26th Ave

Suite J-2

Portland 97219

I'm out in SW portland just off the i-5 barbur blvd exit in an office complex across the street from the 7/11 and jiffy lube and next to a gas station and the original pancake house.

Rick gave me some flyers when he came and bought a game many moons ago and I still have probably 10-20 left and I don't get a whole heck of a lot of walk in traffic so i'm still going to be good on flyers for a while. I do try to push them on people when they come in though for sure.

If you want to come by sometime i'd definitely want to meet you and show you around.

Trevor

..Al

For the life of me I can't think of any decent places around there, but thanks for the response.

..Al

For the life of me I can't think of any decent places around there, but thanks for the response.

http://www.realworldhouses.com/realworld28.html

..Al

http://www.realworld...ealworld28.html

I hope they have central air. I never knew this was a loft/condo/or whatever. Thank you for the link. :thumbsup:

I am happy to announce a new 2600 homebrew and show exclusive for PRGE 2012. The game was programmed by a good friend of mine, Chris Trimiew. I assisted in the project and am happy to see its completion. Road Warriors Survival Edition will be limited to 41 numbered copies and have some crazy packaging.

Details on PRGE website:

http://www.retrogamingexpo.com/