IGNORED

CF7+ half dead

moulinaie

Hello,

I have some problems with the CF7+ card.

Little programs or text files slowly loaded are OK, but large files can't be loaded anymore, they hang the system. The system reports a physical error (parity or else).

Bouh...!!!

I can't work anymore on MLC !

Has anyone some knowledge in this: repair the CF7 ?

What are the other solutions to get files easely from the PC to the TI ?

Guillaume.

Hi Guillaume !

an italian user wrote on the forum of my website about a similar problem on loading programs... well... the problem was solved with another AC Power Adapter...

the old AC Power Adaptor broken and the output was 4.5V and not 5V ... check the voltage of your AC Adapter too... this problem could be the same ;)

Bye ;)

Edited by ti99userclub

Hi Guillaume !

an italian user wrote on the forum of my website about a similar problem on loading programs... well... the problem was solved with another AC Power Adapter...

the old AC Power Adaptor broken and the output was 4.5V and not 5V ... check the voltage of your AC Adapter too... this problem could be the same ;)

Bye ;)

That's an easy thing to do...

I have a question... Should I check the voltage while the CF7 is powered on or off ?

Guillaume.

The CF works well on the PC, I can read and write volumes on it.

Do you think that this adapter could work on the CF7 ? I suspect that after a lot of plug/unplugs this part could be faulty:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.fr%2FDual-CF-Compact-Flash-to-40-pins-IDE-Hard-Disk-Drive-SSD-Male-Power-adapter-%2F170787551204%3Fpt%3DUK_Computing_Drive_Cables_Adapters%26hash%3Ditem27c3bb37e4

Guillaume.

I was thinking of another solution because this one has a female connector. And if I use a male one, I can easely plug a IDE flat cable between the CF7 and the CF board. This way, plugging or unplugging doesn't apply any strenght on the different connectors.

Guillaume;

..... I can easely plug a IDE flat cable between the CF7 and the CF board. ....

yes you could try but prest attenction that tha flat cable is not so long... i think 9-10cm is the maximum...

otherwise i believe could be transmission problems...

but you tried to contact Custodio Malilong ?

maybe he can help with this problem for your card...

some weeks ago with a problem on mine he changed it with another one...

i sold about 25 CF7 Cards for my TI Italian Club ;)

i know that now Custodio have another Project for become better the CF7...

one SD card Reader for TI99 ;)

..... I can easely plug a IDE flat cable between the CF7 and the CF board. ....

yes you could try but prest attenction that tha flat cable is not so long... i think 9-10cm is the maximum...

otherwise i believe could be transmission problems...

A good advice thanks.

but you tried to contact Custodio Malilong ?

Unfortunately, I don't have any mail address to get in touch with him.

Guillaume.

Edited by moulinaie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I need the help of a tester with real hardware : TI99 with CF7+ and F18A.

I have attached a DSK file that you can directly copy to the CF card, mount the disk as DSK1 and, from Extended Basic:

OLD DSK1.MULTI1

RUN

Tell me if you can see the Multicolor mode in action! For me this program stops some seconds after "Loading MLC compiler..." (sometimes with a continuous sound or reset to the "welcome" screen.

THen:

OLD DSK1.MULTI2

RUN

This works well for me although it is REALLY long to load the MLC compiler in this case (more than one minute...).

If you don't own a F18A, I'm still interested in the results with TI99 + CF7+

Thanks to everyone!!!

Guillaume.

TEMP.zip

Hello,

I need the help of a tester with real hardware : TI99 with CF7+ and F18A.

I have attached a DSK file that you can directly copy to the CF card, mount the disk as DSK1 and, from Extended Basic:

OLD DSK1.MULTI1

RUN

Tell me if you can see the Multicolor mode in action! For me this program stops some seconds after "Loading MLC compiler..." (sometimes with a continuous sound or reset to the "welcome" screen.

THen:

OLD DSK1.MULTI2

RUN

This works well for me although it is REALLY long to load the MLC compiler in this case (more than one minute...).

If you don't own a F18A, I'm still interested in the results with TI99 + CF7+

Thanks to everyone!!!

Guillaume.

Hi Guillaume,

I have the same results with CF7:

MULTI1 - hangs just after "Loading MLC compiler..." with a long beep, locked up. The read LED blinks about 7 times then stops.

MULTI2 - runs fine with about 1.5 min load time.

With a TI99 and PEB:

MULTI1 - after about 10 seconds after "Loading MLC compiler..." I get a "syntax error in line 120".

MULTI2 - runs fine with about the same load time.

I do not have F18A.

Fritz

Hi Guillaume,

MULTI1 - hangs just after "Loading MLC compiler..." with a long beep, locked up. The read LED blinks about 7 times then stops.

With a TI99 and PEB:

MULTI1 - after about 10 seconds after "Loading MLC compiler..." I get a "syntax error in line 120".

I do not have F18A.

Fritz

That's more than strange to me...

Because both programs work well with CLASSIC99 !!

So it's not a problem with my own CF7 because yours and the PEB react the same.

I know that the problem comes from a LOAD command in assembly with a file less than 8192 bytes. I thought that under this limit there was no problem.

Guillaume.

That's more than strange to me...

Because both programs work well with CLASSIC99 !!

So it's not a problem with my own CF7 because yours and the PEB react the same.

I know that the problem comes from a LOAD command in assembly with a file less than 8192 bytes. I thought that under this limit there was no problem.

Guillaume.

Well don't forget that classic99 is an emulator; it's not an exact copy of a TI-99/4A. If it runs well in classic99 you might try to run it wit MESS and see what happens there.

I remember that while developing Pitfall I had situations where it did work in classic99 but not on the TI-99/4A. Most of the time I then did a cross-check with MESS and it did not work there as well.

MESS is very accurate as far as emulation is concerned. It might be that you have hit a bug in classic99, or things like memory initialisation or VDP setup (for PABs) may also play a role.

Edited by retroclouds

I remember that while developing Pitfall I had situations where it did work in classic99 but not on the TI-99/4A. Most of the time I then did a cross-check with MESS and it did not work there as well.

MESS is very accurate as far as emulation is concerned. It might be that you have hit a bug in classic99, or things like memory initialisation or VDP setup (for PABs) may also play a role.

Agreed. I had this many times with TF. The one area where classic99 is very different is disk access. This is because it simulates (does not *emulate*) the TI Disk system. For example, there is no TI DISK DSR in classic99. Therefore, you can use all of VDP in classic99, but not on a real 4A.

Mark

Hmmm... Check the header of the file you are loading. Is the header correct? LOAD can load program image files into VDP. The max file size for each is 8192.

You cannot use VDP after >37D8. Maybe the file you are loading is writing over >37D8... ?

*Maybe* you can use after >37D8 if you do a CALL FILES(1) or CALL FILES(0). Not sure about that...

Hi Guillaume,

With a TI99 and PEB:

I do not have F18A.

Fritz

Hello Fritz,

Can you please redo the same tests with this new version??? I cut my large file into two pieces and looks like it works again on my CF7.

Tell me if it works on yours and if it's Ok with the PEB!

Your results will be a precious information!

Guillaume.

TEMP.zip

Therefore, you can use all of VDP in classic99, but not on a real 4A.

Classic99 now 'reserves' the same amout of VDP RAM as the TI Disk Controller for the sake of compatibility (mostly with BASIC), but it still doesn't use that memory for anything. Also the CF7 reserves an additional 6 bytes of VDP memory compared to the disk controller card, which are used to tell it which disk image is mounted in each drive. So you have to stay out of that area. CPU address >8370 points to the top of VRAM, you can't use anythng higher than what is pointed to there (on all systems).

Hello Fritz,

Can you please redo the same tests with this new version??? I cut my large file into two pieces and looks like it works again on my CF7.

Tell me if it works on yours and if it's Ok with the PEB!

Your results will be a precious information!

Guillaume.

Both programs run fine.

With a TI99 and CF7

MULTI1 - loads in about 6-7 seconds and runs fine.

With a TI99 and PEB:

MULTI1 - loads in about 10-11 seconds and runs fine".

MULTI2 - runs fine with about the same 1.5 load time.

Hope this helps.

Fritz

Both programs run fine.

With a TI99 and CF7

MULTI1 - loads in about 6-7 seconds and runs fine.

With a TI99 and PEB:

MULTI1 - loads in about 10-11 seconds and runs fine".

MULTI2 - runs fine with about the same 1.5 load time.

Hope this helps.

Fritz

Wonderful!

Thanks a lot for your time and work.

So I can consider that I solved the problem for now...

But this doesn't explain clearly why it won't load the other large file.

I rewrote part of my loader/saver and put everything on my page as version 1.31 for MLC and the PreCompiler.

Guillaume.

Hello!

I need help with memory when i type size command in extedend basic. I have TI 99/4a ,CF7+ and speech synthesizer.

When I type size, it show this:

11832 bytes of stack free

24488 bytes of program

When I type size in classic99, it show this

11840 bytes of stack free

24488 bytes of program

Why is there diference in memory size? When you look in Extended basic handbook, there memory size is diferent too!

When I type size without CF7+ connected to computer, memory size is like in handbook.

Can sameone explain it to me?

Greetings from Croatia!

Dalibor