IGNORED

Are Dr Chatterbot, When Empires Collide, Colossal Cave Adventure canceled?

Rev

Hmmm... I'm not aware of these being canceled. I do recall Valter saying he was going through a rough patch and some things are on hold.

I can definitely say that as far as Colossal Cave goes, I'll be happy to take it over if Elektronite no longer wants it, seeing as I ported the engine anyway. :-)

hey Intvnut, here is what valter said himself about them, He didnt actually say Colossal Cave but Dr Chatterbot and When Worlds Collide he says "dismissed"

I just lumped all 3 together because he started them and they are all 3 text games. I guess dismissed means cancelled?

Hello Valter!

here is direct comments in this thread. http://www.atariage....25#entry2592688

Edited by revolutionika

hello

colossal cave is not dismissed.....

dr chatterbot is on hold for who knows how long (not a "coming soon")

when empire collide has no code so far and no plan to start coding from my side.... I would say canceled

Then, I will be happy to take over When Empires Collide, as long as I can have creative control...

I'll also help intvnut to complete Colossal Cave, if he wants (not that he needs help at all!).

Dr. Chatterbot strikes me as an Eliza clone, and I don't find much interest in that one.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

hello

when empire collide has no code so far and no plan to start coding from my side.... I would say canceled

Then, I will be happy to take over When Empires Collide, as long as I can have creative control...

I'll also help intvnut to complete Colossal Cave, if he wants (not that he needs help at all!).

Dr. Chatterbot strikes me as an Eliza clone, and I don't find much interest in that one.

-dZ.

ok for me....

hello

-dZ.

ok for me....

Great! We can definitely collaborate if you're up to it. But just know that it will be a while before I start working on it. Thanks!

While I'm technically capable of doing most of this myself, I always seem to run out of time. :-)

Well, I'm in between projects right now, so I can work on the P-Machinery integration. :)

I need to review where we left it the last time.

While I'm technically capable of doing most of this myself, I always seem to run out of time. :-)

Well, I'm in between projects right now, so I can work on the P-Machinery integration. :)

I'll work on getting what I have checked in under revision control and get you an account set up. It might be a day or two.

I'll work on getting what I have checked in under revision control and get you an account set up. It might be a day or two.

Alright, just in time for the week-end, how convenient.

Just thinking out loud here, but Dr. Chatterbot would make a fun extra/bonus on the Colossal Cave Adventure cartridge (if there's ROM space for it).

>Do you wish that theres rom space for it?

Hmm, I think so. Where's my apostrophe?

>Why do you say your apostrophe?

Well, some people call me a postrophe; others call me Maurice, wrongly.

>Can you elaborate on that?

Nope.

Just thinking out loud here, but Dr. Chatterbot would make a fun extra/bonus on the Colossal Cave Adventure cartridge (if there's ROM space for it).

>Do you wish that theres rom space for it?

Hmm, I think so. Where's my apostrophe?

>Why do you say your apostrophe?

Well, some people call me a postrophe; others call me Maurice, wrongly.

>Can you elaborate on that?

Nope.

That's a nice idea! I like it. Thanks! :)

How hard are these text adventure games to program?

Say, compared to space patrol or carol.

Ive never played a text game, and i was looking forward to trying one. I hope someone finishes at least one of them.

much easier to program I guess....

but actually

- when empire collide is a shoot em up

- dr chatterbot an Eliza emulator (artificial interaction human-machine)

- colossal cave is a text adventure

Edited by vprette

I have agreed to publish Collosal Cave if Valter wants me to. If you want to do it Joe, you are welcome, as I seem to have quite a bit in the pipeline right now.

We are currently pushing for Defender of the Crown to be finished.

I believe that Arnauld is too pressed for time to finish it. So, I think that he is releasing the source code to us. There are some modules that need to be completed. Whoever finishes this or contributes to the game modules will share in the royalties. The game materials are going to be worked on over the winter. This game needs to be completed. It is too amazing to sit and languish.

Who wants to be an Intellivision hero and try and finish this game?

I think it ought to fit.

How hard are these text adventure games to program?

Say, compared to space patrol or carol.

They require different skills to program effectively. Text adventures are interactive fiction, and the writing skills necessary to make it fun are quite a bit different than what's necessary to make, say, the game mechanic of Christmas Carol fun. In the case of Colossal Cave, we're adapting an existing engine and an existing interactive fiction database, which does save us a bit of time. Someone may want to go through the text for the game and edit it down a little (to better fit on the screen), but otherwise we're starting with a mostly complete game that we are mainly just porting.

FWIW, I've already ported the core engine and text database to the Intellivision. The main remaining work involves polishing it up, editing the text a little, and adding any other Intellivision-specific accoutrements. So for Colossal Cave specifically, it'll be much easier than Space Patrol or Christmas Carol because we're starting with an existing game. If you were to write one of these interactive fiction games from scratch, however, I can see it being as hard or harder to write since there's just so much content. It's just a different set of skills.

BTW, if folks end up liking Colossal Cave, I wonder if we can look into licensing the Scott Adams engine and his series of adventures. But, let's first see what people think of this one.

• Like 2

Great! I am *hoping* for a 2013 release, well see though, I know everyones plate is full.

After seeing Valters original screen shots of these, it almost reminded me of those old choose your own adventure books i read as a kid!!!

Similar, right? Multiple endings?

Great! I am *hoping* for a 2013 release, well see though, I know everyones plate is full.

After seeing Valters original screen shots of these, it almost reminded me of those old choose your own adventure books i read as a kid!!!

For Colossal Cave, it's a little more involved than a choose-your-own-adventure book. You actually get to explore, pick up/drop items, cast the occasional spell (by saying certain magic "words"), etc. They can be quite a lot of fun, although some of the puzzles can be a little maddening. ;-)

Have you never played a text adventure game before? Perhaps you've heard of Infocom, from back "in the day"...

They work precisely like how you expect "interactive fiction" to: it's a story, like in a book, with a plot and characters and scenery and everything, but you're in it. So that means that you get to interact with the characters, items, and environments in the world, in order to advance the story.

Some are very linear (e.g., you must go to X and pick up Y in order for Z to happen, and if you don't, the game stands still until you do), but others are much more complex and offer many paths to reaching the same goals, and even multiple plot points.

Colossal Cave is the granddaddy of all interactive fiction: the very first one. It is supposed to evoke the feeling of exploring a vast underground cave system, which I believe is based on a real spelunking expedition the author did. It's rather simple compared to what came after, but it is still very good.

If you're interested, there is a thriving community of interactive fiction authors somewhere in the Interwebz. Search for "Inform," which is a modern port of the old Infocom text-adventure engine.

Gosh, I loved these when I was a kid.

dZ.

Have you never played a text adventure game before? Perhaps you've heard of Infocom, from back "in the day"...

They work precisely like how you expect "interactive fiction" to: it's a story, like in a book, with a plot and characters and scenery and everything, but you're in it. So that means that you get to interact with the characters, items, and environments in the world, in order to advance the story.

Some are very linear (e.g., you must go to X and pick up Y in order for Z to happen, and if you don't, the game stands still until you do), but others are much more complex and offer many paths to reaching the same goals, and even multiple plot points.

Colossal Cave is the granddaddy of all interactive fiction: the very first one. It is supposed to evoke the feeling of exploring a vast underground cave system, which I believe is based on a real spelunking expedition the author did. It's rather simple compared to what came after, but it is still very good.

If you're interested, there is a thriving community of interactive fiction authors somewhere in the Interwebz. Search for "Inform," which is a modern port of the old Infocom text-adventure engine.

Gosh, I loved these when I was a kid.

dZ.

I remember pulling my hair out as a teenager trying to play Zork years ago on a hacked Commodore 64 version. Without the manual, it wasn't easy and it can be maddening! Zork is probably the best known of the Infocom games, though. Honestly, I had never heard of Colossal Cave before here.

I also seem to remember some ADULT versions of the text adventure genre. Had some explaining to do when mom found a copy of "Farmer's Daughter" on one of the disks by accident! I guess that's the geek's equivalent to mom finding your Playboy stash :grin:

Will Colossal Cave require some rare component like a keyboard? Will we need to duct tape two controllers together to make a keypad? Will it use a joystick friendly interface like Kings Quest for the Sega Master System?

I can tell you right now it will not require the exceptionally rare Keyboard Component. The current version works with the ECS. I have some plans for making it accessible to all Intellivision owners, though, that I'll discuss once I have everything working. Don't worry, I think most folks will like what I have in mind. :-)