IGNORED

Test Drive Unlimited servers going down Sept.29th!

Zeptari

It's a great game, I'm not surprised to see the servers go down.The game is like 6 years old.

I wonder how the sequel turned out. They have it on games on demand for $20. I can get it boxed for the same price.

But anyways, expect to see me online trying to get those online achievements.

Test Drive Unlimited is special to me, it was the first game I bought when I got my 360.

-rick

I almost got all the multiplayer achievements today. Only missing 2 now. Their only 10 points each, so I dont think I'll bother getting them. But yes, it is a great game. So good you can have a great time playing just the single player part.

You should still get it Bloodreptile.if the price is right.

Hey Atariboy, If you see me online I can boost with you. Haven't really been on as much lately, but hopefully now that the summer is over I'll be on more. Just shoot me a PM.

Any tips for knocking them out Zeptari1? Races that are over quickly or whatever? Been awhile since I played this game, can't even recall how online works. i thought you just kind of ran into other people in the world.

Sounds good :)

One problem are the club races. Other than driving around exploring for a couple of hours and trying to find some Pearl Harbor landmarks (Even the Arizona memorial isn't present :() several years ago, it has just been sitting in my backlog of games. My 360 red ringed during a cutscene in the game when I tried to actually start playing and I just never got back to it. I think I didn't even earn even a single achievement.

So I have no funds to setup a club. Hopefully you do so you can start one up and invite me to it so we both get the club achievement. I think I saw that it cost 200 grand or so at an achievement site the other day (Edit - It cost 350k).

Anyone else here interested in helping out to get closer to the 30 wins deal and to get the 3 interclub victories achievement?

Edited by Atariboy

Logged 3 or 4 hours the past two days and something puzzles me. I quickly did 4 or 5 races locating them on the GPS (I'm assuming since I explored this area years ago). But now everytime I locate one, it's an online race. Is there a mixture of offline and online races spread across the world? Can't find more offline race events to run to get money.

Moycon and I haven't met up yet but hopefully we will soon. Any takers? The timer is ticking down and you're free to join.

Moycon, I'm fairly well on my way to the 350k needed to create a club. I'm assuming our best chance is for me to invite you into it when I create it (Unless your club was one you created, I don't think you can invite me into it) and for me to locate two other people from somewhere like Xbox360Achievements.org (Don't think we're going to get any AtariAges, especially two of them, for the interclub victories).

Wish this game had a full 24 hour cycle and rain. Gotten excited a couple of times when it started to look like it was getting dark or stormy looking clouds rolled in. But apparantly that's the closest the original ever comes to such things.

Edited by Atariboy

Hmmmm How can I tell if I bought a club or joined one? I honestly can't remember! LOL

It wouldn't surprise me if I have my own club. You can rack up serious cash quickly by delivering cars. Just take your time, go slow, and make sure to arrive in perfect condition and you can score around 80-100k a delivery. Another trick to getting easy $$ is to do the "170 mph in heavy traffic" race. I use a Ford GT, start the race, jump the median and drive with the traffic till I hit 170mph. Take probably 20-30 seconds as long as you dont hit anything. You'll snag 15k and can just run it over and over. Cha-ching!

I do want to hook up for sure if we can. I work a weird shift though, 8pm to 4am, so while I am on almost every day. It's usually when most people are working thier day job. When they get home, I'm busy spending time with my GF before I have to work.

I'm not sure about the club. I'll try to figure it out.

Sometimes I see what appears to be a message popping up. Any ideas how I access that?

Figured out the offline/online stuff last night. Apparantly the color coding tells you which type an event is (I did the tutorial stuff 5 years or so ago and didn't remember all the details that I'm sure it explained),

And for these online races, are there exacty 30 of them to tie into the achievements? Or are there more than we will need for achievements unless we're completionist? Any idea if challenges count towards our total when we create one to do or flash our headlights at someone else to initiate one?

I'm sure we can work something out to join together. I wonder how we will meet though. Pick a location and both warp there is what I'm assuming we will have to do (Hopefully online counts are far enough down these days where we won't have to worry about being placed on different servers)?

I better get driving so I can locate all these so I can warp to them when we do this. Got some decent chunks of the map driven already but have a long ways to go and unless you've been there once, you have to actually drive there.

Not something desirable when we're trying to boost.

Moycon, I didn't check your achievements list, but if you haven't already, better create and share three challenges soon. The minimum time required is 24 hours between each of them so you need 72 hours to do all three. Create them via the pause menu and share them at a drive-in diner. Glad I found that out in time.

Looks like clubs are handled at the clubs (Surprised I didn't put that one together sooner :)). Sort your map using the bumpers to select that category then select the club one and go to one. I assume since you belong to one, you can send me an invite. If not, hopefully if I create one I can still invite you into it despite you belonging to another.

Got some messages sent out to people that expressed interest in boosting. Hopefully I'll get us two other drivers to do the interclub victories.

If anyone else out there wants to 1000 this and needs a decent guide to help them along, this one has been helpful to me.

Addicting game btw, it has hooked me and I imagine I'll keep playing directly through to completion even after getting the online stuff. Has a few issues but nothing major (No rain, no 24 hour cycle so no night driving, people's lips in the cutscenes continue moving after their voices have stopped, car models and character models look more PS2 quality than 360 quality, no cars parked along streets anywhere, no pedestrians anywhere which makes you feel like you're in a 'Cars' movie where all the life forms are vehicles, birds still appear and fly upwards even inside tunnels (And no wildlife anywhere), motorcycles handle like automobiles, man-made landmarks like the remains of the USS Arizona and the memorial created above her seem completely absent, etc.).

One nice touch though is when playing MP3's, the track information appears. I didn't think Microsoft allowed such things on the 360 (I thought custom soundtracks had to be completely independent on the 360 from the games themselves beyond the game automatically having to mute its own in-game music when utilizing custom soundtracks).

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah it was nice to get the worst of it out of the way. Just have to get the interclub one taken care of now (The logistics of this one is what's annoying with trying to match 4 people's schedles) and a couple more challenge victories.

How did your drive-in challenges turn out? Somehow I lucked out as we were boosting after failing for several days and won two after a 20 hour or so wait in the span of about 10 minutes as we were driving. Was a pleasant surprise since I figured I was going to lose both of them.

One of them I only tried once. Figured for sure with the rush of people trying to get these things done with a deadline approaching that someone would beat it. But it worked out well just as I was thinking I might not get this one in time.

Edited by Atariboy

Seemed like a good group of guys tonight, Moycon. Glad we were able to get everyone all set. Was a good time and not overly tedious like I thought it was going to be. Thought it was going to make everyone win three which would've meant we had another three hours or so to go. But we lucked out.

Zeptari, if you decide you want this before the servers go down, I imagine I can track down two guys to do it with us. Thanks for being willing to help us out when I asked. :)

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 months later...

This game is a heck of a lot longer than I thought a few months ago. 70 hours in according to the Xbox Live rewards tab and I still have about a half dozen or so time challenges left and 1,000 miles left to drive in order to get an achievement. I should be busy for another 8 hours or so before wrapping it up and that's without purchasing every last house and car which I have no desire to bother with.

I saw someone quote 20-30 hours for the length of this game. i'm not sure what they were thinking since even with a perfectly coordinated and implemented boosting session, skipping everything that isn't essential, always winning races on your first try, and always utilizing the fastest car possible (Probably where I've tacked on the most unnecessary hours since I tend to prefer slower vehicles), I think about 50 hours would be about the fastest one could finish all the single player challenges and missions and earn all 1000 online and offline achievement points.

Guess I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Was thinking I had wasted my money the last few years as this sat unplayed on my shelf. Glad I finally gave it a serious chance since even though it's probably only a B or so title if I were to grade it, there's something that was oddly addicting to it that has held my attention.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1