IGNORED

New IDE/Compact Flash interface for ADAM

jblenkle

Well, it case I hadn't mentioned it before...

I hereby grant my permission to distribute my portion of the cart ROM code in perpetuity.

Copyrights still apply on the portion I didn't write and you can discuss that with the original copyright owners.

On another note...

NIAD, Admit it... you hit the reboot switch like 20 times and giggled like a little kid every time the system booted up without a tape or disk.

As for me... it is now well past beer thirty... bring on the naked women and tiny pickles!

• Like 2

NIAD, Admit it... you hit the reboot switch like 20 times and giggled like a little kid every time the system booted up without a tape or disk.

Well... I think that I only rebooted 19 times, but I did giggle like a little kid everytime that I did! You gotta love not having to put any extra wear and tear on any of the ADAM Disk or Data Drive options, especially since I don't even keep a Data Drive hooked-up since I rarely use it, so what's the point of having power running to it whenever the ADAM is on.

As far as a free IDE Package for your efforts, I'm game. Hey Bob, hook this man up, would ya? :P

Naked women? Hmmm. One question, does it have to be the wifey or can I bring in a professional? :-o

• Like 1

I just checked the ADAMem SDL docs and there is no way to create a HDISK.IMG file thru Windows, the instructions only detail using Liinux or OSX. So, I will clean-up CF Card a bit and then make a raw backup image of it in the hopes that it will be useable with ADAMem SDL. Yeah, I was lazy and didn't make a backup before testing your rom images.

I also will make a new Disk and DDP image of the IDE Boot Driver with the HardDisk menu/control program for v3.9. This program is stored on the IDE device, but I should have provided this to you with the previous image file posted here.

There is a bug in this menu program that does not allow one to page down to view more files in EOS Partition 00 where you store all the 1K boot files for all the programs stored on one of the other 9 EOS partitions. The "MORE" indicator displays at the bottom of the file list, but when you press the "HOME+DOWN ARROW" key, there is no response. There is no issue with any of the four T-DOS partitions that I have experienced since it does not use any menu program to move around, perform directories and access files... it works just like an old DOS based system.

I don't really have a problem with using an AtariMax SD cart for this, but still, there should be a run of dedicated cartridges, IMHO.

A cartridge should even be offered as an optional accessory with each of Bob's units.

I agree 100%. Also, I was able to obtain the Boot Prom image (from Geoff) of the IDE Boot Driver, so if Bob wants to supply as a boot prom that installs in a Slot #2 Interface Card with the necessary open socket then he and potential purchasers will have a couple new options.

I personally would prefer the Prom chip that installs in a Slot #2 card seeing as it will boot automatically upon turning on or resetting the system, but a nicely labeled cart would be impossible to pass up and there isn't much work involved in booting that one... reach over and press the cart reset.

• Like 2

Don't rule that out just yet. Since Virtual ADAM's d/l is on my page, I often get questions about it and forward them to Steve. I forwarded one to him a few weeks ago and In his last reply, he mentioned writing a standalone ADAM emulator again. I think it's just a matter of him finding the time to do it...

Steve Pitman was also considering writing his own ADAM emulator from scratch due to the many limitations he ran up against in writing Virtual ADAM, but this seems unlikely as well.

I don't really have a problem with using an AtariMax SD cart for this, but still, there should be a run of dedicated cartridges, IMHO.

A cartridge should even be offered as an optional accessory with each of Bob's units.

This is why I asked about the format and partition utilities.

I think including them on the same cart would be a great idea. Just hold down on a key combination to bring up the partition and format utilities when you reboot.

Then the end user doesn't need any disks or data tapes at all... just the cart.

• Like 1

I personally would prefer the Prom chip that installs in a Slot #2 card seeing as it will boot automatically upon turning on or resetting the system, but a nicely labeled cart would be impossible to pass up and there isn't much work involved in booting that one... reach over and press the cart reset.

Can you disable booting the IDE drive if you load the driver from a slot?

To disable the IDE boot from a cart you just use the other reset.

The formatting and partition software for the IDE storage device setup was developed in T-DOS (the ADAM CP/M replacement O.S.) which would mean that in it's current incarnation that was put together in the early 90's, it would probably be impossible to setup to run from a cart or rom image. The T-DOS O.S. and formatting/partition utility could probably be compiled into one auto-loading program, but it probably still couldn't be easily setup for cart useage. Actually, it would probably be easier to write an entirely new utility to format and partition IDE storage devices than work/hack/patch the available programs.

FYI, once the T-DOS program is used to configure everything including the four T-DOS partitions, you still have to boot-up into the EOS HARDDISK menu program to finish the setup of the 10 EOS partitions. After which there are program and boot files to copy to EOS Partition #00.

The software developers were presented with numerous challenges when creating the EOS set of utilities (not to mention patching the EOS to recognize the IDE card and drive... it replaces Data Drive #2 even if you don't have one) and unfortately interest really died down by '93 and no further enhancements were made. Well, I think Rich Drushel made some enhancements.

So to make a long story short:

:arrow: thru T-DOS configuration and access is pretty simple and straight forward

:arrow: thru EOS configuration isn't a problem, but access and setting up EOS programs requires a good knowledge of the ADAM or someone willing to spend the time to learn as well as others willing to lend a helping hand. Once you get the hang of using EOS programs, however, it is a very nice option to have available.

I am assembling some file for you and everyone that I will post shortly and then I have to make a raw backup image of the CF Card that I will post on a Filesharer.

Can you disable booting the IDE drive if you load the driver from a slot? To disable the IDE boot from a cart you just use the other reset.

Once the boot prom chip is installed in a Slot #2 Interface Card, it becomes the first thing that the ADAM tries to execute after EOS is switched into memory... it's at the top of ADAM's hierarchy.

#01 - Boot prom socket installed in Slot #2 Interface Card

#02 - Prom chips installed on the ADAM Logic Board in the U-## sockets

#03 - Disk Drive #01 and then #02

#04 - Data Drive #01 and then #02

Obviously, a cartridge would be last on the list and would be a manual (press cart reset switch) option.

Coleco originally had reserved Exp. Slot #2 for a Language Card that contained French language versions of EOS and SmartWRITER. The only other interface card that was developed/planned to install inside the Memory Console was the 64K Memory Expander. All other interfaces and hardware items were planned to be external units that would use the ADAMnet protocol (pre-cursor to USB) such as the unreleased ADAMnet 1200 Baud Modem and the ADAMnet Serial/Parallel Interface.

BTW, here is the original IDE Card/Drive release announcement thread by ADAMcon and in which I provide some detailed useage instructions.

Been following the thread here remotely on a tablet. SUCKS!!! Finally got a connection going here via real internet. Jim is on the ball here with his knowledge of the ide interface card. I will not be back home until March 1st to make any sales or ship any cards and/or setups. In Florida where it is warm......sorry guys in the cold north.... ;-)

Ok, here we go...

I have uploaded a Raw Image Backup of my ADAM IDE Compact Flash Card (60Mb) as well as the Windows program that I used to create it to MediaFire. Here are the links to these two files as well as a link to the HDDRawCopy's website:

HDDRAWCopy1.02Setup.exe: http://www.mediafire...tst7yf18w237ew6

NIAD CF Card Raw Image Backup.img: http://www.mediafire.com/?9osinh60ljqek7d

HDD Raw Copy website: http://hddguru.com/s...-Raw-Copy-Tool/

I have also included the ADAM IDE Boot Driver v3.9 in multiple formats (Disk Image, Boot Prom and Cartridge Rom Image). Note that the Disk Image also contains the HARDDISK memu program that comes preconfigured on every IDE CF Card in Partition #00 as well as File Manager v3.x (the best ADAM utility program). Also, to help newbies, I have included some documentation files converted to PC format DOC files as well as an old article from the NIAD Newsletter detailing using all of this. Please note that this article was written about an earlier version of the ADAM IDE software, most of it still applies, but always consult the documentation provided by ADAMcon or in the DOC fles.

Hope all this helps.

BTW, as I mentioned, there is a bug in the HARDDISK menu program which allow access to only 26 files in Partition #00... the page down (MORE) keystoke combo is not functioning. There are plenty of other program BOOT files in this partition, but you have to delete some to see the others or you can view them all in the File Manager program. Don't fret, deleting files on the ADAM does not remove them, it just changes the status of the file to deleted (not visible in a directory listing) and you can recover the file by chaning it's status to not deleted with File Manager.

BBTW, not sure if the NIAD CF Card Raw Image Backup.img file can be used with ADAMem SDL v1.8. If anyone tests, please post your findings here.

ADAM IDE Boot Driver Cart 2 (2013) (JamesD).zip

ADAM IDE Boot Prom for Exp. Slot #2 Socketed Card (EXP.ROM).zip

ADAM IDE Driver & Menu v3.9 (1991) (AJM Software).zip

ADAM IDE ReadMe Files.zip

N.I.A.D. Newsletter 05-93 HD Article.pdf

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

BTW, here is the original IDE Card/Drive release announcement thread by ADAMcon and in which I provide some detailed useage instructions.

Whoops! Forgot to add the link in Post #92. My bad, here it is since it's to late to edit that post: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/202663-coleco-ide-card-cvadam-technical-manuals/page__hl__+ide?do=findComment&comment=2629746

Finally got around to looking over my notes as far as what software I have configured on my CF Card that is available to download via the link above. Here goes:

- Partition #00: File Manager, Address Book Filer, Recipe Filer, SmartFiler, ADAMLink I, SmartBASIC v1.0, numerous BOOT files for programs stored on other partitions.

- Partition #01: CopyCart rom image files. No additions or changes from how it was supplied by ADAMcon.

- Partition #02: CopyCart rom image files. Same as above

- Partition #03: Setup for more CopyCart rom image files. One can INITialize the directory and use for other software/files.

- Partition #04: Left blank for other software/files.

- Partition #05: Temple of the Snow Dragon

- Partition #06: ADAM Bomb II, MicroChip, Cosmo Fighter 2: Super Game, Modem Tank, Modem Chess, Dragon, Lab Mouse, ADAMLink Golf (Pro Golf Champ), ADAMLink Golf: LinkBuilder, Addictus, Mind Over ADAM, Klondike, Mage Quest, Electronic Game Pack I

- Partition #07: ADAMCalc, MacADAM, SmartLOGO, Electronic Flashcard Maker, ADAMLink II, ADAM Home Software Library, SimpleCalc, Tax Planner, Coleco Graphics Processor (Project Name by Line). BTW, do not leave a disk or ddp in the drive when loading C.G.P.

- Partition #08: VideoTunes

- Partition #09: PowerPAINT

The four T-DOS (CP/M) partitions have not been changed from how they are supplied.

I have a lot more software to setup, but it may take me a little time to get back to this project due to other things I am working on.

Just one question... how many people have a multi-cart and IDE interface for their Adam?

I only count 9 downloads of the working driver total.

I knew there wouldn't be a huge number of people with a multi-cart and an IDE interface but with over 1000 views I figured there would be more than that.

Edited by JamesD

Just one question... how many people have a multi-cart and IDE interface for their Adam?

I only count 9 downloads of the working driver total.

I knew there wouldn't be a huge number of people with a multi-cart and an IDE interface but with over 1000 views I figured there would be more than that.

You are assuming that people following this topic are doing so only because it applies to hardware they own. There isn't much reason for people who don't own an ADAM + an IDE interface + the Atarimax SD cart to download the new software.

I have fond memories of the ADAM but no longer own one and do not see one gracing my home anytime in the immediate future. However, I still have interest in the system and modern developments. I suspect there are many like me who are interested in the topic but have no real world practical use for the software.