IGNORED

Front Line Controls

ChuckH

I know that Front Line was made for the Super Action Controllers and that you can play it with the regular controller but boy are the controls screwy. With the regular controller you have to press 1,2,3 at the same time to throw grenades and jump into the tank. This is certainly odd and to have to rotate your gun with a button is odd too. In Virtual ADAM you can at least throw grenades/jump into tank with the letter Z.

The MSX version has it about right. You fire in the direction you are going with one button and throw grenades/jump into tank with the other button. This is much more logical and fun. Since Daniel B. hacked roms for Victory, Destructor, Turbo, etc and Youkie hacked controls for a rom, could someone hack the rom for Front Line to make it less awkward and playable? Please...... ;-)

I've been thinking of taking a Sega Saturn controller and adapting to use the Neo Geo to CV box I made, so I could use the left and right shoulder buttons for Front Line use. The secondary purpose is for Bank Panic as it has 3 buttons on the right. Middle button will map to up.

• 7 months later...

By the way, did you know that there are two versions of the Front Line ROM? They are identical except that in one of them the ground is yellow when you start the level, while the ground is green in the other version of the ROM. I actually own both versions of the cartridge. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that information about the different ground colors used in Front Line. I just checked the four different rom dumps that I have of Front Line and indeed, two have the green background and two have the yellow background.

Still learning new things after all these years!

• 1 year later...

With so much development, I am shocked no one has hacked the roms that require special controllers. I suppose anyone with the skills to do so would insist on having a super action controller. It makes the entry threshold to this diminishing scene very high.

EDIT: nevermind. I discovered a hack has been in progress, but it appears to be a for-profit-venture. I just assumed it would have been done years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by jeff20

I was thinking specifically of Frontline. It looks like a fun game, but I no longer have the controller. It seems like it might be easy to hack. It turns out someone has already thought of it, but it looks like they're going to try to sell the hacked carts. I wonder if they went so far as to clear the rights too.

With so much development, I am shocked no one has hacked the roms that require special controllers. I suppose anyone with the skills to do so would insist on having a super action controller. It makes the entry threshold to this diminishing scene very high.

SAC aren't expensive or hard to obtain. Several years ago I bought NOS ones in the original shipping containers for cheap and there were plenty more to be had if I wanted. No one probably bothered creating ROM hacks for regular controllers because it was no problem just getting the SAC.

Edited by Vectorman

SAC aren't expensive or hard to obtain. Several years ago I bought NOS ones in the original shipping containers for cheap and there were plenty more to be had if I wanted. No one probably bothered creating ROM hacks for regular controllers because it was no problem just getting the SAC.

As there is no difficulty in getting a driving controller. I think the desire comes more out of preference. I simply do not like the SAC. I think it would be nice if the keypad of the standard controller could be used instead.

As there is no difficulty in getting a driving controller. I think the desire comes more out of preference. I simply do not like the SAC. I think it would be nice if the keypad of the standard controller could be used instead.

I'm the guy who plans to release the hacked version of Front Line to play with regular controllers. I should point out that unlike my other games, this will be a limited release of only 75 copies (with manual and custom controller overlays) and will be aimed at collectors, so no more copies of Front Line SCE will be produced even if there is a demand for it. For that reason, I plan to release the ROM for free (I will post it here on AtariAge) on the same day as the cartridge edition is released.

Eduardo Mello is in charge of hacking the game, but as you are probably aware, he is missing in action (again). He did provide me with a working version of this hack last October, and I must say the game is really fun to play with regular controllers. However, while testing the hack, I found a nasty graphic glitch that really needs to be fixed, and Eduardo has yet to fix it. This graphic bug is the only thing standing in the way of me releasing Front Line SCE (in both ROM file and cart form).

• Like 5

I was interested in why some dumps of the Front Line game use the color yellow for the ground and why some use green for the ground so I tested things out with BlueMSX v2.8.3 (did not try on a real CV yet) and found out that all the different rom dumps that I have display a yellow or green ground color depending on the controller that was being used:

- Standard Hand Controller = Yellow ground

- Super Action Controller = Green ground

Do not just choose the RESET option in BlueMSX, you have to remove the mounted rom image, change the type of controller being used and then remount the rom image for the color change to take place.

ED: Time to put Ikrananka to work on this one to verify things. While the rom file in his Rom Dump Project has both ground colors depending on the controller being used, I came across another rom image where the ground color is green no matter what controller is used.

Front Line (1983) (Coleco) b1.zip

Edited by NIAD

ED: Time to put Ikrananka to work on this one to verify things. While the rom file in his Rom Dump Project has both ground colors depending on the controller being used, I came across another rom image where the ground color is green no matter what controller is used.

I'll get on to this very soon and once I have a conclusion will update the commercial game rom collection as necessary - great catch NIAD :)

I'm the guy who plans to release the hacked version of Front Line to play with regular controllers. I should point out that unlike my other games, this will be a limited release of only 75 copies (with manual and custom controller overlays) and will be aimed at collectors, so no more copies of Front Line SCE will be produced even if there is a demand for it. For that reason, I plan to release the ROM for free (I will post it here on AtariAge) on the same day as the cartridge edition is released.

Eduardo Mello is in charge of hacking the game, but as you are probably aware, he is missing in action (again). He did provide me with a working version of this hack last October, and I must say the game is really fun to play with regular controllers. However, while testing the hack, I found a nasty graphic glitch that really needs to be fixed, and Eduardo has yet to fix it. This graphic bug is the only thing standing in the way of me releasing Front Line SCE (in both ROM file and cart form).

That's exciting news sans the Eduardo part.

Front Line was and still is my favorite arcade game of all time. I have most iterations of this game including the arcade upright.

Looking forward to your cart release.:)

• 7 years later...
7 hours ago, fiddlepaddle said:

I just played Front Line with my new Edladdin Super Combo Colecovision controller with all four buttons and it's actually quite fun!  The rotation aiming is kind of weird, but I got used to it pretty fast.  By the way, the grass is yellow on mine with this controller.

Actually, it was later discovered that the color of the grass is a random selection. It can be either yellow or green. So if there happens to be several versions of the ROM out there, they are all the same in terms of grass coloring.