IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

• 2 weeks later...

It's too late to vote but I'd prefer to use a JagPad/PowerPad instead of a Genesis pad. Keep it in the Atari family! :)

I'd rather have the support for the far more ubiquitous gamepad, which is still being manufactured today (a version of the excellent six button Genesis pad). Besides, while the six button JagPad is excellent, I think a notable percentage of us feel the original Jaguar controller is dreadful. Obviously, the six button JagPad is even rarer than the relatively rare original.

• Like 1

I'd rather have the support for the far more ubiquitous gamepad, which is still being manufactured today (a version of the excellent six button Genesis pad). Besides, while the six button JagPad is excellent, I think a notable percentage of us feel the original Jaguar controller is dreadful. Obviously, the six button JagPad is even rarer than the relatively rare original.

Oh i'm hoping just a Sega Genesis pad so i can grab a Sega 6 from Hyperkin at least.

Edited by RupanIII

While I think the Propad is okay, it is just that imo... okay. Excellency is still a good deal away due to th cunky ergonomy. I definitely prefer both Genesis and SNES controllers. Dualshock, Xbox large and small, Dreamcast, Saturn... all of them are still better imo.

And as Bill said, a major concern should be that pads are still easy to get.

Looking at this, I'd love to see not only an external VGA adapter, but an overall internal screen replacement. Hell, I'd pay for not only a screen replacement but rechargeable lithium battery install.

This IS for an internal screen replacement. Candle intends to also include the video output as an added bonus since he has access to the video information.

Now, the battery upgrade would be sweet too, especially with the multi-cart project which I heard may suck more power.

Edited by jbserra

This IS for an internal screen replacement. Candle intends to also include the video output as an added bonus since he has access to the video information.

My bad - I know an external VGA adapter has been requested for years and seeing the title of the thread, assumed that's what was happening. Best news I've heard yet.

It is both LCD replacement and external video out. Depending on what you do, you could replace the LCD and not connect the VGA port or cut an opening, or make an opening and not replace the LCD (consolize it?), or do both.

I have a second Lynx that is waiting. I've already hacked in a PSOne controller adapter so I could play with controller instead of holding the system.

It is both LCD replacement and external video out. Depending on what you do, you could replace the LCD and not connect the VGA port or cut an opening, or make an opening and not replace the LCD (consolize it?), or do both.

I have a second Lynx that is waiting. I've already hacked in a PSOne controller adapter so I could play with controller instead of holding the system.

Honestly, i'd use a thin molex or a DB9 connector of some sort, and then a dongle to HB15 for the VGA adapter. The system is bulky enough for a full VGA though. Everyone should also probably make note of the power and headphone connectors, they were put WAY to close together. I need to see if I can solder in a fuse or something that resets itself to the power port, because the power plug into the headphone jack reportedly killed alot of them.

On 7/24/2014 at 9:50 PM, jbserra said:

Now, the battery upgrade would be sweet too, especially with the multi-cart project which I heard may suck more power.

It should be no worse than the old carts. The 3.3v supply for the memory card is going to be disabled while the card is not in use and I will try and sleep the PIC whenever possible.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

Physically, DB9 and HD15 are the same size. I don't know what type of connector it's going to be, it depends on what candle can do when he gets back on the project.

I think he's just giving us soldering pads and it's make your own port on the video out.

A thin connector is one option, like a straight 8 pin molex, or MiniDB , not full DB. I'm just looking at less overhead on the system end.

HB15 is just kind of large, BUT, the Lynx has room.

Edited by RupanIII

It's not related to this except it is an impressive mod. There's a video on YouTube - I believe it's in French - of a user modding his Lynx II into outputting Bluetooth audio...

That's pretty good. Did they take apart a small bluetooth device with stereo in and solder the LR audio to the input pads?

Sounds doable!

Oh yes this is one of my Lynx modding. And for once one that works well :-D

You can use any bluetooth transmitter you can find on the web for only $10

For exemple :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Transmetteur-Emetteur-Bluetooth-V2-1-A2DP-3-5mm-Audio-Stereo-pour-TV-PC-MP3-/121387926847?pt=FR_Informatique_Reseau_Domestique_Adapteurs_Bluetooth&hash=item1c4348c53f

Just careful that the transmitter is compatible with your receiver.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I still believe it will come. Look at the 7800 XM or some homebrews to see how long this stuff can take.

My only gripe is that seeing how late it is, I will not be able to define two seperate palettes for Green Little Quak-Quak before release. I planned to do that for all future homebrews, a selection between a muted palette for LCD modded units that naturally have higher contrast and saturation by default, and the standard palette where I use stronger colors to make up for the outdated screen.