IGNORED

Classic RPGs

doomwaves

Alright so this in a age old argument... & I doomwaves, do once again rehash something old.. Go figure.

Final Fantasy 1 - NES

Dragon Warrior 1 - NES

Phantasy Star 1 - SMS

Who wins?

I've played thru FF1 one numerous times.. Enjoy it more every time.

I am currently playing thru Dragon Warrior & Phantasy Star. Enjoying them both TREMENDOUSLY.

Which one of these do you think is best for it's time? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on these classics.

Feel free to add more games to the list.. I know there are others that fall into this same group.

• Like 1

Dragon Warrior drew me right in every time I played it. In fact, I really wish I could start DWII right now... gotta hunt down a copy.

FF was okay-pretty good. Maybe I just didn't get far enough into it.

Still haven't found a copy of Phantasy Star for SMS,

Final Fantasy, although I can't say that from an experienced perspective because I have never played all the way through Phantasy Star.

When it comes to FF and DW, I'd go with the first because it's a larger game, has a wider variety of environments, more memorable music (to me), etc., etc. I really like the original DW though.

Phantasy Star. Cool setting, amazing graphics, fun dungeons, great story & quest. I played through the entire thing on the GBA rerelease a while back and loved it just as much as in the day. I played through Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES back in the day and really enjoyed it, but not as much as the original PS. Sad to say I never played the original FF.

• Like 1

All three are great games. Dragon Warrior was my very first JRPG, Final Fantasy I have great memories of tearing through when it was brand new, and Phantasy Star I finally played in emulation about 10 years ago (and then bought the Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA). I'd give the nod to Final Fantasy as being the best for many reasons. Phantasy Star comes in second. Dragon Warrior is still fun, but I just don't think the game has aged well, and my 36 year old mind has a hard time doing that much grinding in 2012. :P

• Like 1

Final Fantasy, although I can't say that from an experienced perspective because I have never played all the way through Phantasy Star.

When it comes to FF and DW, I'd go with the first because it's a larger game, has a wider variety of environments, more memorable music (to me), etc., etc. I really like the original DW though.

You have me confused, there is a 1st for both. Which do you like better Final fatnasy 1 or Dragon warrior 1?

If you are talking the 1st released then that would be Dragon Warior.

You have me confused, there is a 1st for both. Which do you like better Final fatnasy 1 or Dragon warrior 1?

If you are talking the 1st released then that would be Dragon Warior.

Methinks Austin meant 'first' in the sense of 'the former', rather than it alluding to release date or number in a series.

It's hard to say which of these three I'd choose as best RPG of its era, but of the group, the one I'd most be interested in starting a playthrough of right now is Phantasy Star. Dragon Warrior retains a certain nostalgia for me, but it's undisputedly the most primitive and least polished of this match-up.

• Like 2

That said, my favorite 8-bit console RPG is Ultima: Quest of the Avatar.

Need to try this one too.. Heard great things... Exodus is pretty awesome, although I've only played it briefly...

Another I'd like to try is the Ys series... I don't own any of these either..

Need to try this one too.. Heard great things... Exodus is pretty awesome, although I've only played it briefly...

Another I'd like to try is the Ys series... I don't own any of these either..

The NES Ultima games are TOUGH. I never got far into them at all (I usually die almost immediately), but I hear they are pretty good once you get into them.

The Ys series is excellent, although it's not really a traditional RPG. They have brief talking, experience points and item shops, but the games are pretty action-packed, especially the recent ones like what you find on the PSP and PS2. In the Oath in Felghana on the PSP and PC, thanks to the amount of enemies on the screen and the super-fast action, it feels very arcade-style. I love the series (one of my favorites, easily), but it's more action than RPG. :)

The NES Ultima games are TOUGH. I never got far into them at all (I usually die almost immediately), but I hear they are pretty good once you get into them.

The Ys series is excellent, although it's not really a traditional RPG. They have brief talking, experience points and item shops, but the games are pretty action-packed, especially the recent ones like what you find on the PSP and PS2. In the Oath in Felghana on the PSP and PC, thanks to the amount of enemies on the screen and the super-fast action, it feels very arcade-style. I love the series (one of my favorites, easily), but it's more action than RPG. :)

I really need to try the Ys games.. I hear only great things about them, and I have recently picked up a psp! I really need to pick the Ys titles, the rest of the FF titles & the Genesis Collection disc, it has Phatasy Star 2-4 & The golden axe games.. Pretty stoked..

Anyhow, that was a bit off topic..

I am going to have to pick Phantasy Star 1 for a few reasons:

1) Spaceships and multiple planets!

2) First person dungeons

3) Interesting characters

4) The battle graphics are sweet.

Also, the whole game itself just feels more populated and vibrant than the others.

I love Final Fantasy 1 and the amount of epicness it gives you. When you get that floater and make the airship appear, you're like OH MAN, OH MAN. There are some seriously exciting, edge of your seat moments in it too...

but the character development is really dopey since you make your guys yourself.

Dragon Warrior 1 has you play as one character. The dungeons are cool and all, but the first person aspect of PS1 has the same adventurous feel to it, but better.

Plus, Dragon Warrior 1 has some clunkiness to it that irritates me.

They're all awesome games though.

Wizardry 1 is better than all of them though!

I am going to have to pick Phantasy Star 1 for a few reasons:

1) Spaceships and multiple planets!

2) First person dungeons

3) Interesting characters

4) The battle graphics are sweet.

Also, the whole game itself just feels more populated and vibrant than the others.

I love Final Fantasy 1 and the amount of epicness it gives you. When you get that floater and make the airship appear, you're like OH MAN, OH MAN. There are some seriously exciting, edge of your seat moments in it too...

but the character development is really dopey since you make your guys yourself.

Dragon Warrior 1 has you play as one character. The dungeons are cool and all, but the first person aspect of PS1 has the same adventurous feel to it, but better.

Plus, Dragon Warrior 1 has some clunkiness to it that irritates me.

They're all awesome games though.

Wizardry 1 is better than all of them though!

I can really appreciate how awesome Phantasy Star is, as I am currently playing it.. I really like the animations of the enemies, in the pseudo FP Battle system. I do also like the dungeons, but they could use a bit more, they get overly confusing because they all look identical except for color, few more landmark type features would have been helpful so you could at least tell which hallway you were in.. I'm not really complaining about it tho, the gameplay is awesome. Not a lot of time is wasted either, I like how you're in & out of battles fairly quickly, except for the opening a chest after every battle... Grr.. All in all, it is fast becoming one of my favorites..

As for Dragon Warrior, I am enjoying it equally as much. It is way more similar to FF, but they single character feature is bit annoying, but at least you're only forced to face one enemy at a time. I've got about 10hrs into both games as of right now, spent a lot of time grinding in both games, so I don't know how far I am actually thru the story on either one.

Depending on how I am feeling at the end of PS, I may play a rom of Wizardy next, unless I can track down a cart first of course I've been hearing really great things! Console wise, I think Ultima Exodus may be next.

Ultima Exodus for NES is my favorite version of Ultima III, which is my second favorite Ultima (Ultima V is my first favorite).

Which is funny, because the NES Ultima V blew ass.

Exodus takes a Dragon Warrior style approach and it works amazingly well for the game. I honestly think Ultima Exodus is better than Dragon Warrior. Everything about it is pretty great. The town music and the intro music are sweet.

However, it's an Ultima game, so it's not one of those walk in the park casual RPGs where you can just grind and get by everything. If you hit up the dungeons and don't make a map, you'll probably die.

Also, if you make a stupid party, you'll probably die. I tried beating the game with 4 Alchemists. It was like pulling teeth. Don't do it.

I like taking a Ranger, a Thief, a Paladin, and a Wizard.

That usually does pretty good for me.

Sometimes I use a Lark too.

After playing Ultima, Wizardry and Bard's Tale in the early to mid 80's I always felt the Japanese takes on these games were childish. I was wrong about it to a degree. I didn't play any until I got Dragon Warrior for the NES (for free through the Powerclub). I felt the game was cute but still just as well made as the american games it was inspired by. A lot more simplistic but very good. I have to pick Dragon Warrior since it's the first game I played.

• Like 1