IGNORED

Classic RPGs

doomwaves

I love all three games and each is probably my favorite of each series. With that said, Phantasy Star remains one of my top favorite games while the other two are probably a hundred or two slots down the list. Phantasy Star is much better in every aspect. I still play PS more often than most games and it looks and sounds better than so many 16-bit RPGs.

I have a giant white "long cat" who I named Myau. :P

• Like 2

Ultima Exodus for NES is my favorite version of Ultima III, which is my second favorite Ultima (Ultima V is my first favorite).

Which is funny, because the NES Ultima V blew ass.

Exodus takes a Dragon Warrior style approach and it works amazingly well for the game. I honestly think Ultima Exodus is better than Dragon Warrior. Everything about it is pretty great. The town music and the intro music are sweet.

However, it's an Ultima game, so it's not one of those walk in the park casual RPGs where you can just grind and get by everything. If you hit up the dungeons and don't make a map, you'll probably die.

Also, if you make a stupid party, you'll probably die. I tried beating the game with 4 Alchemists. It was like pulling teeth. Don't do it.

I like taking a Ranger, a Thief, a Paladin, and a Wizard.

That usually does pretty good for me.

Sometimes I use a Lark too.

Awesome! Sounds like my kind of game.. Ultima 4 seems to be a favorite of many too, Need to track 4 & 5 down.. I have 6 for the SNES, I heard it sucks, but I'm anxious to play it anyway.. LOL.. I just really like classic RPGs...

Awesome! Sounds like my kind of game.. Ultima 4 seems to be a favorite of many too, Need to track 4 & 5 down.. I have 6 for the SNES, I heard it sucks, but I'm anxious to play it anyway.. LOL.. I just really like classic RPGs...

Ultima IV for NES is pretty cool too. It has a Dragon Warrior/FF vibe to it.

I've got a spare copy of both 3 and 4 for NES actually, if you're interested.

I'd avoid 5 for NES and 6 for SNES too. VII for SNES is also lame.

5 is just bad. It's got that "we tried making a computer interface work on an NES" feel, and really lame looking art.

6 is watered down. DOSBox that one for sure dude.

After playing Ultima, Wizardry and Bard's Tale in the early to mid 80's I always felt the Japanese takes on these games were childish. I was wrong about it to a degree. I didn't play any until I got Dragon Warrior for the NES (for free through the Powerclub). I felt the game was cute but still just as well made as the american games it was inspired by. A lot more simplistic but very good. I have to pick Dragon Warrior since it's the first game I played.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I liked pen & paper gaming, but would play RPGs on the Commodore and eventually Amiga. I was also into console gaming, of course, but definitely not for RPGs. I bought Ultima III for the NES and thought it was alright, but really didn't have any interest in any other console RPGs. I never played any of those three until I picked up Dragon Warrior in '94. Today I like all three, but of those three my favorite is Dragon Warrior. I'll even go so far as to say I prefer the Dragon Warrior/Quest series over the Final Fantasy series.

And slightly off topic, but worthy of mention...it's kind of too bad the Phantasie series never made that early 8-bit transition into console gaming. Bard's Tale, Ultima, Pool Of Radiance, and Wizardry never caught on. But Phantasie would have been more in style with the Final Fantasy crowds. Just saying. Would have been nice to play some additional sequels.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I liked pen & paper gaming, but would play RPGs on the Commodore and eventually Amiga. I was also into console gaming, of course, but definitely not for RPGs. I bought Ultima III for the NES and thought it was alright, but really didn't have any interest in any other console RPGs. I never played any of those three until I picked up Dragon Warrior in '94. Today I like all three, but of those three my favorite is Dragon Warrior. I'll even go so far as to say I prefer the Dragon Warrior/Quest series over the Final Fantasy series.

And slightly off topic, but worthy of mention...it's kind of too bad the Phantasie series never made that early 8-bit transition into console gaming. Bard's Tale, Ultima, Pool Of Radiance, and Wizardry never caught on. But Phantasie would have been more in style with the Final Fantasy crowds. Just saying. Would have been nice to play some additional sequels.

Yup. I wish Phantasie was more known too. I played the first game a lot but never got a chance to play the second. I need to do that someday. SSI was great. I miss them (Goldbox too).

Phantasie_Coverart.png

250px-Dragon_Warrior.jpg

After playing Ultima, Wizardry and Bard's Tale in the early to mid 80's I always felt the Japanese takes on these games were childish
I had kind of a different reaction. To me, it was "Wow, I actually START with 40 hit points? I don't have to save every room? Wow, this is fun, I can actually finish these games!" I found that more linear (and easier) type of design pretty refreshing and fun. Don't get me wrong, I love classic CRPGs, and it's still probably my favorite genre, but I definitely appreciated JRPG design. The stereotypical "cartoony" JRPG art style definitely started turning me off over the years, but it didn't bother me for a long time. Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

Wow, never heard of "Phantasie" but the font made me think of "Sectaurs" in a microsecond.

*edit - Who else remembers Sectaurs? I was always jealous of my buddy who had the insect/monster mounts for his Sectaurs to ride on...

Edited by Torr

Level grinding is such a pain on the original hardware. I finished Dragon Warrior 1 on an NES emulator years ago in half the time.

I'm not sure how people feel about it but I kind of prefer emulators to the real thing for classic RPG's. It saves soooo much time. :P

My brother in law played thru on an emulator in a morning not too long ago, but he used a cheat code that bumped him up to level 30 and gave him like unlimited gold from the start, so he didnt have to grind anything.. Already had all the spells, so he just found/bought all the items he needed & beat the game in like 2 or 3 hrs..

I myself prefer the old way, even if i am using a walk-thru to find items & navigate dungeons..

Level grinding is such a pain on the original hardware. I finished Dragon Warrior 1 on an NES emulator years ago in half the time.

I'm not sure how people feel about it but I kind of prefer emulators to the real thing for classic RPG's. It saves soooo much time. :P

Pfsht.

That's janky.

Yeah I meant save states. Not cheating or anything. Walking back to a castle to save I just can't do anymore....or is that cheating? I guess it can be.

:-o

That part is rather annoying, till you learn the Return spell, but even then, you have to walk back to where you were to continue... I am using save states on Phantasy Star, its the only rom of the games mentioned that I am playing... But you have the save option all the time, except during battle.

I don't consider it cheating to use them if they are available.. Unless you're using them to avoid battles.

Dragon Warrior was my favorite, but that is probably due to the fact that it was the first one I played (and may have never played it at all if not for Nintendo Power).

Looking back at it now, I think Final Fantasy probably edges it out as the better game, but would get blown out of the water by Dragon Warrior III and IV.

I never played the original Phantasy Star, so I have to choose between Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior. And I choose Final Fantasy, hands down. It had great music, awesome weapons, cool spells, AIRSHIPS, and the different character classes to choose from. I fondly remember one summer where my friend and I would take turns leveling up the party. As for Dragon Warrior, for whatever reason, I found it boring and bland by comparison.