IGNORED

Classic RPGs

doomwaves

Oh Sweet Home is a fabulous game with a kind of crazy history to it. The producer of the film the game was a tie-in to, Juzo Itami, was allegedly killed by the yakuza! He directed a few films that I thought were really good in college but I kind of got out of the Japanese film scene as I got older. It's also an inspiration for Resident Evil of all things.

Solid gameplay but a pretty heavy RPG for a newcomer.

Hope you like it. It made a very good impression on me when the fan translation first came out and I think it's one of the better original NES games. A pity we didn't get it in the US when it was new.

Oh Sweet Home is a fabulous game with a kind of crazy history to it. The producer of the film the game was a tie-in to, Juzo Itami, was allegedly killed by the yakuza! He directed a few films that I thought were really good in college but I kind of got out of the Japanese film scene as I got older. It's also an inspiration for Resident Evil of all things.

Solid gameplay but a pretty heavy RPG for a newcomer.

Hope you like it. It made a very good impression on me when the fan translation first came out and I think it's one of the better original NES games. A pity we didn't get it in the US when it was new.

As I'm accustomed to modern controls where there are 400 buttons anyways, I can grasp the RPG controls quick enough, it was only the teaming up thing that confused me and realistically I should have figured out something was up when it was the only thing I never clicked for so many hours.

I really enjoy it, definitely will be the cream of the crop in terms of RPGs like that I'll ever play because I'm not into the fantasy/wizard type shit they're all about, but I am into horror. I like the RPG gameplay style in that regard, but I'm not so hot into the stories because I think it's all gibberish. Let's just put it this way, I want to know what happens in Sweet Home and I haven't given a damn what's happened in any other RPG or RPG style game (ala Zelda) I've ever played. Even the Castlevanias on DS were badass and great, but not interesting story wise. Not that I'm taking it TOO seriously, but you'd be surprised how a little graphic bloodshed and really tense moments can make you forget you're playing an 8-bit game. I love NES like no other, but it's the only time I've ever not felt I was playing something designed towards kids, and it's actually quite apparent and refreshing as hell. The notes and whatnot seem like things actual adults would say or can relate to and that really is a game changer in the overall tone. It actually seems incredibly modern based on this, like you're playing something made in 2015 for Steam by and indie dev.