IGNORED

Defender of the Crown for Intellivision Kickstarter

...and the number and signed edition would need to have some unique content above what the "standard" game has.

Unless it's purely cosmetic, like an extra title screen message, please don't go this route. I can't stand it when the standard version of the game is basically incomplete by design, and you have to buy some overpriced limited edition to get the full game. Same thing with excluslve levels.

That kind of thing just isn't a good fit for this hobby. Among other issues, some of us like the idea of having a complete basic collection (i.e. no variants), but our wives/girlfriends get a lot less tolerant when they see we have multiple versions of the same game -- let alone if they learn we paid hundreds of dollars for the privilege.

(I'm talking, of course, about in-game content. As for physical tchotchkes that come with the limited-edition version, go nuts. :D )

• Like 1

I don't think that the game play would be different.....maybe an extra picture or two? Not sure.....probably not.

I think that having a special edition with a clear red shell, and LEDs in it, plus maybe a special cart sticker might be sufficient .....maybe a poster included in the game.....

• Like 2

The Kickstarter special edition would be limited....and numbered.....and exclusive to the kickstarter campaign.....so, it can only go up in value......100 at 150 dollars would be well on the way to funding the game.....I wonder if there is that kind of interest.

I thought people were talking about $5, $10, maybe $25 pledges, and the $50 pre-order. That'll probably be most of your pledges, and perhaps a handful of special editions at a higher price.

To crunch the numbers and the price points, we probably need more information. I think that it's safe to assume that the your current base of customers will be the initial support for the campaign. The best way to measure that base is to know how many games have been sold and what those customers want (Limited edition, CIB or cart only). Take what you've sold of D2K, for instance, and assume that is your support base. I'll make some assumptions:

CIB - 150

Cart Only - 50

Let's also assume that a limited edition will not INCREASE those numbers, but pull away from it. Therefore:

Limited Edition - 30

CIB - 120

Cart Only - 50

Let's assume that those need to at least cover 75% of the Kickstarter ($15,000) to set the dollar values:

Limited Edition - 30 @ $100 = 3,000 (based on LTO selling 20 with perhaps more demand existing, I think that this is reasonable)

CIB - 120 @ $75 = 9,000

Cart Only - 50 @ $50 = 2,500

Total of $14,500

From there, you will need some minor "donations" at the $5 or $10 range. Maybe some ROM's ($15 to $20 range?). A high level or two ($250 to $500 range). Also, you can hope for some new additions to the base with, perhaps, a wider audience in the Kickstarter world to add to the base numbers of games being sold.

Just to throw my .02 in, I do not need anything fancy to entice me to separate myself for a little cash to see this completed, so if it comes down to choosing between not getting it completed due to extra money needed to pay programmers and extra incentive schwag I would not mind giving up anything "extra" and would be more than content having another quality game for my console. That would be if the total number don't crunch due to a small base. Maybe I am off base but I assume it would not be inexpensive to make fancy carts etc and that way the initial kickstarter could be paying for completion?

Hello,

I checked some kickstaters and did a sort of « benchmarking ». I would like to share you my ideas about the value (I took some ideas of different members and especially from Inymike, and Fushek) :

$5 and $10 is for donation to support the project (100x each = $1500 max). I think people buying a game could support also by giving $5 or $10.

$20 for the ROM image (only 50x = $1000 max)

$60 for the game with cart, box, instructions, overlays (x100 = $6000 max)

$100 game incl. some goodies (poster, sticker...) = (only 50 = $5000)

$150 numbered and signed box incl. some goodies (poster, sticker...) (only 50x = $7 500)

and…. nothing between $150 and...

$2000 ROM Image + numbered and signed box incl. some goodies (poster, sticker...) + « one day » with the programmers (Arnaud and the « new » one on the project). So, the « day » is a lunch with the programmers and an afternoon with them (playing INTV games, talk about their new projets…).

For the this one, the kickstater group has to pay a flight for Arnaud and 1 or 2 nights in a hôtel and lunch and diner (costs around $1000). It could be also a way to thank Arnaud for his work. (only 2x = $4000) ?

Maybe my idea is not good. But, I just wanted to share with you.

Anyway, I could help the project in France, I could contact different websites, forums and guys to support the project.

Some very good ideas here.

Let me also add the support to have to the ROM available for download at the $10-20 price point. There's a number of people who are not INTV fans but are DOTC fans who would pay money to have the ROM to play on a emulator, myself included. This would also increase your base and bring more people in.

Having some kind of special bonus for a high level backer ($500-1000) would be awsome also, cause you'll probaly get at least one.

Seeing if Cinemaware would be willing to plug the Kickstarter and getting the word out there is critical also.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the 20k goal cna be reached. I'd suggest doing what some other KIckstarters have done -- put in stretch goals. Like, for example, set the funded level at 10k, add in one goal at 15k, another at 20k, and so on. I'm not sure what those goals should be, but it puts things into perspective and more at reach for people.

Finally, presentation is key! When you set up the Kickstarter, you can NEVER have too mcuh information. Talk about the game itself. Explain what has been done so far. Show videos of the half finished game in action. Try REALLY hard to have a programer lined up ready, willing, and able to finish the game. If people come into the project and see 'oh, it's half done, they got someone lined up to finish it and clear goals in mind, they just need funding to finish', that will boost the success level by 200 percent. Having seen and pledged a number of Kickstarters that both succeeded and failed, I can not stress how important that this is!

It's really too bad that the only platform that this is being made for is INTV -- I'd pay a lot of money to get a updated PC port, or if it could be played on a smartphone.

• Like 1

I do think presentation is key. Find some people on here with video editing and producing skills and see if they can help make a kewl video. Presentation is key, people need to see it. I tell my friends all that when they get patents and have trouble sellign their stuff, its because they try to sell an idea, and many people dont think abscract, they need to see it to believe it. SoulBlazer is correct focus on presentation and get someone on here That knows about making presentations to help.

I can send the demo rom to whomever wants to try and create a video. I have the half playable version, but I really can't seem to get it to do much as I don't really know how to play the game. A video of someone playing what we have so far might be good....and of course, an expert with the game should play it and document what is missing. The demo runs by itself and is a good general demonstration of the game. If that can be put into a gif file to run on the kickstarter page, that would be cool.

We have to remember that 15,000 - 20,000 is the goal for simply the programming. We cannot forget the 4000 - 5000 investement that is required to produce copies of the game and things like posters, swag etc.

Hi,

$5 for donation to support the new Intellivision project !

$10 Sticker

$15 Sticker + overlays

$25 Sticker + overlays + Flyer

$55 complet game ! (cartridge with Sticker + overlays + Flyer + Box)

$85 special complet game (clear shell, LED lit shell, two overlays... and signed)

$125 complet game + special complet game

$225 your name in game contribution + complet game + special complet game

regard

All great ideas so far but I'm afraid to get in the $20-30k range as suggested initially we need to involve also people who are not yet into the inty collecting scene and who might not know what to do with a rom image or an actual cartridge.

Maybe mid level tiers could include a cd-rom with emulator and game rom plus some tech documentation for aspiring inty programmers? I think Star Castle for the 2600 did something similar and was well received.

T-shirts are also always well received too! ;)

Cheers!

Roberto

Edited by roberto

Well, I used Star Castle as a "template" and came up with these:

$5 Your name will be listed as a supporter of Defender of the Crown on our web page.

$20 Download link for emulator compatible Defender of the Crown game ROM file, and manual.

$30 CD with Defender of the Crown game ROM compatible with emulator, GoodINTV emulator to play it on, game manual (PDF), game artwork, photos of the making of the game.

$60 Standard edition cart of Defender of the Crown with box and manual.

$100 Special clear edition cart of Defender of the Crown with box and manual.

$150 Special clear edition cart of Defender of the Crown with box and manual, autographed by the programmer.

$250 Customized clear edition cartridge of Defender of the Crown with your pixel graphics on the title screen and lights that flash with the game action. This will include box, manual, and autograph.

$500 Customized clear edition cartridge of Defender of the Crown with your pixel graphics on the title screen and lights that flash with the game action. This will include box, manual, and autograph. Your name will be added to the game credits as a backer.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same about the pink. Mideval and pink dont go well. If you looking to contrast the central picture with the rest ofmthe box try some other colers as well to see how they look and post spme pics on here.

Edited by voltron