IGNORED

Midway Arcade Origins

cimerians

Arch Rivals was surprisingly fun. I thought the achievement was going to be a pain since I don't much care for sports games. But I quickly earned it and stuck around and finished the game. And I've since gone back and done another full game. :)

Also, does anyone know why you're not allowed in Wizard of Wor to select the left hand blue side? Was that dedicated for Player #2 only instead of how more modern arcade releases handle it where you can select any position (Such as most, if not all of the other multiplayer games on this collection)?

I dont know why but I like punching the other players and stealing the ball. I used to have fun with this in the arcade back in the day along with the original Cyberball.

I've always kinda wondered about Wizard of Wor and being able to select the yellow #2 player. Since the Atari 2600 days I would use the 2nd controller and play the game as the yellow guy. I dont think any compilation ever was changed to allow you to play him. I think the arcade was the same way and I did play the arcade game back in the early 80's but I can't remember if you can or not. I doubt it though since in MAME it also doesn't let you.

Meant to edit this in but hit reply by mistake...

There is a trigger on each side, as well as the thumb buttons. Thumb buttons rotated the turrets, while the triggers fired weapons. The 360 controller mimics the arcade controls rather well. I mapped the shoulder buttons to turret rotation, and triggers to respective weapons.

Thanks

It should've dawned on me that these had triggers for firing your weapons. I feel stupid now. :)

I can envision the 360 controller handling Assault almost perfectly as well, if that ever makes it to one of these compilations.

My 3rd party Playstation controller with a switch to go between flight stick mode and Dual Analog mode (Copying the functions of those two uncommon Sony accessories) handles it well on the Namco Museum disc that had it and Assault Plus on the original Playstation. So I bet you're right that it would play well on the 360.

Overall the actual worst control translation is Rampart IMHO. Everything else seems spot on, especially the driving games.

Are you using the d-pad or the analog stick with the top down racer's? I've seen people suggesting using the d-pad but I've stuck with the analog stick. I can handle Super Off-Road and its slower pace just fine but I'm having trouble with Super Sprint and Championship Sprint. Your scores in those two seem impossible to reach.

Sadly, Rampart isn't even on any of the Digital Eclipse Playstation collections. Every other track-ball release from Atari and Midway that has seen inclusion on collections over the years saw a Playstation release with support for the Playstation track-ball or mouse (Crystal Castles, Marble Madness, Missile Command, Centipede, and Millipede),

But no Rampart. :(

Edited by Atariboy

For the racers, analog all the way :) I can't imagine having any success with the d-pad. It's just a matter of envisioning the wheel and gas pedal in my head as I play, as I remember those games so vividly.

Some of those scores baffle me. I'm #2 on Total Carnage, but the guy in the #1 spot has triple my score, and it takes about 3/4 of the game to get that high of a score. Dude must be a Total Carnage savant or there's a scoring trick I don't know about.

That's definitely not what's on this collection.

what makes you say that? I don't have the Midway collection so I can't judge. If you're saying differences between my vid and the GiantBomb vid, note that in the GiantBomb vid, he's playing the Cyberball Rookie League. this is supposed to simplify the game by limiting the choices you have (it's still from the same collection of choices, but you only get 4 choices at a time). in my video, I'm playing the Advanced Cyberball which is the regular mode which gives you more plays to choose from, broken down into the passing, running, and option plays on offense, or short, medium, and long defensive fronts on defense.

I'm not sure what this "score attack" is. in Cyberball 2072 (and the Tournament edition), you had Game Breakers and regulation Cyberball. regulation Cyberball was a regular football game. Game Breakers is like college overtime football. you start off near the goal line and you have a limited number of plays to choose from. Game Breakers is actually cool because it forces you to learn plays and how each play works against what defense.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the differences and figured you were showing the comparable mode in MAME to show why you don't believe this is the same rom version. I only played in the rookie league in the two games I've done so far so I didn't see the mode you were demonstrating.

I think that also probably explains why so few scores are uploaded to the leaderboard. I'd have to verify it but I think it makes sense that only scores earned in advanced mode would be uploaded.

As for score attack mode, it's essentially just preset emulation settings with the collection itself and has nothing specifically to do with Cyberball. It limits you to single player, prevents you from changing settings in the options screen, and limits you to 1 credit in order to create a level playing field for the leaderboards. It's also the mode where achievements have to be earned in. In free-play mode, you have as many credits as you want for game's that allowed continues, the ability to change the available options, and one or more additional player's can insert credits and join in where applicable.

I have noticed something that I think might be a slight emulation bug with the game. If I'm in the play selection screen when the timer runs out, the titles of the play's won't be present for me when the game resumes (Although they always return the next time the play selection screen appears).

Some of those scores baffle me. I'm #2 on Total Carnage, but the guy in the #1 spot has triple my score, and it takes about 3/4 of the game to get that high of a score. Dude must be a Total Carnage savant or there's a scoring trick I don't know about.

I hate to bring it up but I've seen at least one mention of a method to get more than a single credit while in score attack mode.

http://www.trueachie...tm?showguides=1

So the guy leading the Smash TV and Total Carnage leaderboards possibly might be a cheat that's exploiting this.

Edited by Atariboy

Well obviously, from reading the comments in that link some people have had success getting some games to glitch and allow an extra continue, but also from those same comments they are still scoring very low overall. I hate to accuse someone of cheating, simply because they score more than me, I mean some people have their pet games that they mastered. However, it's undeniable, it is possible to glitch at least Smash TV according to that link. I scored over 5 million last night on Smash TV score attack without cheating, so the top score of +7 million isn't out of the question.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman

Certainly it's quite possible it's valid. Smash TV is able to actually be finished on a single credit and I assume that the feat has probably been done with Total Carnage. There's no reason that I know of why that feat couldn't be done here by the right person.

Without a replay function (Which would've been nice to see for many reasons), you just have to assume it's valid. At least the subject matter in this collection is the type that shouldn't attract many of the type's that would do such a thing.

The people like that buying this collection are going to either quickly be getting rid of the game after writing it off as a collection of old junk or getting rid of it when they have their 1000 achievement points. I don't see people that like to abuse glitches or go ever further with their cheating sticking around here very long to bother with it.

Edited by Atariboy

alright, I'm an old school Cyberball player so I have some tips that might help people understand how to play cyberball.

i made a tutorial video (using clips from the above game I showed in a previous post) about special teams and offense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WvMydRZczM

2:20 choosing coaches.

2:58 choosing teams.

8:24 upgrades.

8:46 kickoff returns.

11:22 kickoff defense.

19:17 offense.

19:13 explanation of plays best for medium blitzing defenses.

19:20 explanation of the football play selection and the hash marks.

23:09 dime or corner blitz.

26:15 explanation of quick pitches to players on the line.

27:01 only 1 titanium player of that class.

27:13 explanation of weakside and how it matters with a blitz.

29:25 explanation for mail drop.

32:06 further/better explanation of catch and run plays (original explanation at 22:12).

33:46 explanation of X play.

35:04 further explanation of quick pitches along the line.

38:17 spend all money after you finish your upgrades.

40:19 pitches out wide to deep running backs.

42:48 don't tip where you're going to pass.

44:50 explanation of showtime play.

47:00 how to handle the LB drop.

52:42 how to handle the LB blitz.

56:08 run-n-gun explanation and its fault against medium defenses.

58:26 how to handle the 1 yard line.

59:32 conclusion

i also made a tutorial vid about conversion points and defense but I haven't uploaded it yet.

There's a ton of missing stuff just from the Midway Arcade Treasures lineup not here (Including game's that they've rereleased elsewhere that demonstrate that they own the rights to it). But what I'd want most would be Timber as well. Such an overlooked gem and the reason why I bought MAT2 in the first place.

Badlands (MAT3)

Blaster (MAT)

Cyberball 2072 (MAT 2; MAT Extended Play)

Hard Drivin' (MAT2)

Hydro Thunder (MAT3)

Klax (MAT)

Kozmik Krooz'r (MAT2)

Mortal Kombat (MAT Extended Play)

Mortal Kombat 2 (MAT2; MAT Extended Play)

Mortal Kombat 3 (MAT2; MAT Extended Play)

NARC (MAT2)

Offroad Thunder (MAT3)

Paperboy (MAT; MAT Extended Play)

Primal Rage (MAT2)

Rampage World Tour (MAT2)

Roadblasters (MAT)

Road Drivin' (MAT3)

S.T.U.N. Runner (MAT3)

San Francisco Rush 2049 (MAT3)

San Francisco Rush the Rock Alcatraz Edition (MAT3)

Splat (MAT)

Super Off Road: Track Pack (MAT3)

Timber (MAT2)

Vindicators (MAT)

Wacko (MAT2)

The only obvious elimination here would be Hydro Thunder (Known to be sold to Microsoft Game Studios and possibly also excludes Offroad Thunder from MAT3 as well as the future inclusion of Arctic Thunder depending on just what was sold). Also, the Mortal Kombat trilogy saw a standalone digital compilation in 2011 (Including UMK3 instead of plain MK3, which also saw a standalone XBLA release after never appearing in the MAT lineup) that might keep it out of 'Midway Arcade Evolved' if such a release were to happen next year. Also, I imagine we could rule out the Rush games since they were ports on MAT3 from a Chinese developer (Along with Hydro Thunder and Offroad Thunder) rather than Digital Eclipse emulations and likely still out of reach to emulate on a commercial release like this.

Wonder who they would get to develop it? Sounded like this very well might be Backbone's last release. Code Mystics perhaps?

What confuses me with Origins is how Defender/Stargate, Gauntlet/Gauntlet II, and Super/Championship Sprint are included but the Track Pack for Super Off-Road is excluded, Vindicators is excluded, and regular Cyberball 2072 is excluded (I suppose this one isn't much of a problem, but it should've been included just the same).

If Super Off-Road was going to be represented by a single game, it should've been the Track Pack version. And I don't see why they'd include both Sprints yet not do the same for the very similar situation with Vindicators where the sequel is just a modestly changed version of the original with a bit of audio edits, many of the levels being carried over, and a few other slight enhancements.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned Wizard of Wor getting screwed up when the achievement unlocked and someone asked me what it did. Here's a video someone posted demonstrating the achievement and the same thing happens. Go to about 1:45 which is 4 or 5 seconds before the criteria is fulfilled to unlock the achievement.

Thankfully with the achievement unlocked, it doesn't seem to happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

I scored in the mid 70,000's tonight in Root Beer Tapper which to my shock placed me at 11th. I don't think that score would put me in even the top 1000 on the standalone XBLA release. I hope this enjoys what some titles have over the years where it continues to sell at a modest pace for an extended time and becomes a sales success since I very much doubt it has been so far judging by leaderboard counts.

Also, I'm noticing some differences between XBLA Root Beer Tapper and this version as I jump between the two. The graphics are very washed out on the XBLA version and seem much more vibrant and true to the arcade cabinet on this collection. And I used to think that the audio in the XBLA version was perfect but I encountered a problem tonight I never have on the original cabinet. The music for the chorus girl dance when I picked up a tip didn't play and I only had sound effects until it ended and the regular background music returned. Happened at the sports bar.

Between those two issues and the problems that the earlier Digital Eclipse XBLA releases had in general (Local scores aren't saved and the volume levels are set too low), I think this will be my version of choice of this when I'm in the mood for Tapper in front of my tv.

Smash TV is way easier on score attack mode, I actually prefer to play it only that way now. Of all the games, this one deviates most from the default settings, with the biggest difference being you start with 6 lives. Scored 7.6 million last night. I keep increasing my high score so I'm going to keep playing it, I want that #1 spot (currently #2).

I'm not terribly impressed with the amount of entries on the leaderboards either, in fact I haven't seen a game crack 2,000 entries yet. Not of the games I play anyhow. That's too bad because it's less competition for one, but with that small amount I don't expect any DLC or a sequel. I just hope the leaderboards don't get wiped out once a year like many of the shmups do.

I was hoping to see Midway Arcade Evolved next Fall with things like Timber and hopefully some new games.

But between what I'm seeing on the leaderboards and their long-time developer for every Midway collection since day 1 dying or perhaps even dead by now, I don't hold out much hope.

I was thinking about what I said just now. It might not be as bad as the leaderboards suggest since I think many people are playing this in free-play mode where they're not ranked.

In the few weeks it was out before I got it, I glanced through a fair number of videos of it on YouTube to get an idea of how well it turned out. And those people were universally selecting free-play mode rather than score attack.

I disagree with that analysis, because you only get achievements in score attack mode, so eventually the vast majority of owners will be playing score attack at some point, because most people want the achievement points.

Who knows. The game didn't have any ads from my experience, I only came across it by chance. Maybe the pool of gamers wanting these compilations is shrinking, or maybe these comps have been released too many times and people are sour on them now.

Yeah, but I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of the market for this is the type that aren't achievement hunters. I'm sure it's not a huge change one way or another, but hopefully the numbers are a bit healthier than they initially appear. On the other hand I've exclusively been playing score attack mode because of the leaderboards. I wouldn't be having nearly as much fun without those. And I think this is pretty widely available for $20 now so hopefully that $10 drop will attract a lot more classic gamer's that have held off thanks to this largely being a repeat of past compilations.

Have you noticed the edited attract modes in a few games? The wording might not be 100% exact since I'm stating this off the top of my head, but both Joust 2 and Bubbles come to mind where something that said something along the lines of "Williams Electronics Presents" has been edited to "Midway Arcade Origins Presents".

The Williams names is still there elsewhere including in these same attract modes. So I'm not sure why the need for the change.

Edited by Atariboy

Didn't notice the editing. I wonder why they would even bother doing that. I always forget the attract mode on some of these games. I prefer it on some games and hate it on others. I have to try some of the games on attract mode as I have not seen a lot of them.

Been playing Joust 2 (seems like its infinite) and also some Gauntlet II lately.

Some of these old games are great when your sick or just need to relax and just fire away. :)

Went through all the attract modes for the Williams properties here and they were all edited except two that didn't say something like "Williams Electronics Presents" in their attract modes and had nothing to edit. The copyright notices are all intact and showing the Williams name though.

Not sure if this was done elsewhere for other publisher's content on here, but I'd love to hear why this bizarre change was made. Has to be a reason for why it was done and why the name is still intact for the copyright notices.

Did the name not get sold to Warner? So they could keep the copyright notices intact since that was how they were originally but the game couldn't be portrayed like it was a Williams product and had to be edited to avoid appearing to be endorsed by the IP holder of the Williams name?

I wonder if Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play downloadable off PSN for the PSP was edited. The UMD release doesn't have any edits for the attract modes for the included Williams games but this wasn't uploaded onto PSN until 2010 and remains available (Unlike the XBLA/PSN releases that appeared year's earlier and were pulled when Midway went under).

Edited by Atariboy

I wonder if Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play downloadable off PSN for the PSP was edited. The UMD release doesn't have any edits for the attract modes for the included Williams games but this wasn't uploaded onto PSN until 2010 and remains available (Unlike the XBLA/PSN releases that appeared year's earlier and were pulled when Midway went under).

Yes I still see it on PSN for 10 bucks. They did change the fine print to say Warner on the purchase page. I have the UMD as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked this up and retired my old Midway Arcade Treasures vol 1 and 2. There were very few games on those collections I cared about that weren't on the collection. In most cases, there was a suitable replacement available (Vindicators Part 2 is fine), the game is better played on some other port (Roadblasters, Hard Drivin'), or the game just doesn't hold my attention like it did back in the arcades (Narc). The only game I'll really miss is Blaster, and I didn't play that one on these discs very much anyway.

And Pit Fighter is actually playable, unlike on MAT2. Time to corral someone into some button mashing.

If you and Cimerians happen to want some informal competition on the leaderboards, feel free to add me if it's the Xbox 360 version. Only have three AtariAge user's with this game on my friends list and only Nuclear Pacman plays it regularly (And he's usually way out of my league :)). So a few more names to compare scores with would be welcome. Edit: Cimerians was already on my friends list so he must have the PS3 version since I never noticed him when sorting leaderboards by friends.

Beyond the improved emulation here and there in a few games (Particularly Wizard of Wor and Satan's Hollow), the leaderboards are my favorite aspect of this release. I've missed that feature on the Midway Arcade Treasures lineup since the Xbox went offline.

Finally picked this up and retired my old Midway Arcade Treasures vol 1 and 2. There were very few games on those collections I cared about that weren't on the collection. In most cases, there was a suitable replacement available (Vindicators Part 2 is fine), the game is better played on some other port (Roadblasters, Hard Drivin'), or the game just doesn't hold my attention like it did back in the arcades (Narc). The only game I'll really miss is Blaster, and I didn't play that one on these discs very much anyway.

Midway Arcade Treasures 2 is safe in my collection for Timber alone. I really wish that game was included here.

What superior version of Hard Drivin' do you have? I could see selecting the Race Drivin' port on the Sega Saturn over what was on Midway Arcade Treasures 3, but the only versions of Hard Drivin' outside of MAT2 that I recall are archaic ports on contemporary home hardware when the arcade game was new.

Edited by Atariboy