IGNORED

"NES Super 8" project

low_budget

Since the Super 8 bit does have a large, dust unprotected opening in the top, I decided to finally do something about it.

Soon I'll have 3d printed dust covers in a choice of 4 colors that will protect the cartridge connectors from dust and look nice when the system is not in use.

These covers shown are just prototypes, the finished ones won't have any openings.

These "dust plugs" will be included with all Super 8 bit systems and available for free to anyone who has ordered the v2.5 or v3.0 Super 8 bit system previously.

Right now I have black, white, red, blue ABS and semi transparent PLA.

I've tested the component video add-on board made by Viletim, but it didn't work well with either of my flat screen TVs I tested (the TVs didn't handle 240p component signal well.) I decided not to include this in any Super 8 bit systems as a result. I find the Jrok component video converter is currently the best option.

All my v3.0 Super 8 bit systems are v1.7 NESRGB. So I guess it's safe to say 100% compatibility for the system then. Cool!

post-31751-0-12047600-1424846775_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I did the Viletim component video mod to the NESRGB inside the Super 8 bit.

I actually did this mod a while ago, but recently decided to post it.

Installation couldn't be easier, and the only case modification I had to do was drill a 1/4" hole.

The picture quality was perfect on CRTs and my LCD TV that had a good internal scaler.

When I used my Jrok component converter, it worked well also, but introduced around 1 frame of lag to gameplay.

So for $20 to buy the component mod board and about 30 minutes installation time you can have component video in either version of the Super 8.

post-31751-0-66760500-1439440595_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-48186300-1439440637_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Wow, no updates for a whole year. No, this project is not dead.

I am making 14 more Super 8 bit systems with a new design, v3.2.

There's not going to be any big new changes on this version, just lots of small improvements and refinements to the previous v3.0 PCB.

I've been working very hard on design, assembly, and acquiring the necessary parts to complete the systems.

www.lowbudgetify.com

Here's some pics of the prototype :)

post-31751-0-82182600-1470234357_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-16703800-1470234396_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

How does this compare to the RetroUSB AVS? It has conposite and optionaly Component video, so it's a good alternative for those who don't want HDMI?

Edit: reading past posts it seems to be like an Anlogue NT where you need to provide (or buy) original CPU and PPUs?

Edited by Newsdee

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven't checked here in a while.

Took me a while to determine the price. Looks like I've got about 9 hours labor in each fully assembled system. Also got an estimate on building the custom aluminum enclosures.

The Super 8 bit v3.2 fully assembled with NESRGB and CPU / PPU is $549

There will also be one available without the CPU / PPU or NESRGB included for $399

I updated the pre order details here: www.lowbudgetify.com

• 4 weeks later...

The Super 8 bit v3.2 pre orders will be accepted tomorrow (10/6) at 6:00pm central time.

The enclosure will be designed to accept the HDMI NES or the NESRGB.

I was waiting to announce this because I only recently was able to test the HDMINES and create extra room for mounting the PCB.

Still working on case revisions which should be completed in 2 weeks.

its CRUNCH TIME

post-31751-0-49478300-1475705485_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Pictures of the final, finished system.

It can be assembled into a NESRGB or a Hi-Def NES system.

The analog video outputs are not usable with the Hi-Def NES assembly, while there is an unused cutout for HDMI if the NESRGB is used. The RCA analog sound works in either configuration.

post-31751-0-02861400-1478354539_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-01601100-1478354562_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-89767400-1478354643_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-46369600-1478354684_thumb.jpg

post-31751-0-46981900-1478354846_thumb.jpg

Edited by low_budget
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have sold my last available Super 8 bit system in April. I will not be making any more Super 8 bit consoles :(

The reasons are numerous:

1. Too many retro NES consoles available now.

2. Other retro consoles being sold actually have money for advertising.

3. Other retro consoles cost 1/4 what a Super 8 bit costs to build.

3. Building Super 8 bit systems mostly by hand and removing CPU / PPU chips is an INSANE amount of work.

4. This project took way too much of my time and I'm taking a break forever.

A total of 40 Super 8 bit consoles [with aluminum cases] were built. I made even more than that if you include the Polycase AG versions that didn't have the Famicom cartridge slot.

I sent the very first Super 8 bit I made to the Angry Video Game Nerd. I'm kind of disappointed because I think he gets lots of donations and he's never even used it. Oh well

I worked on the original version Analogue NT project in its early stages. That did NOT go well. That decision really hurt the chances of the Super 8 bit being more successful. Actually that was my fault because I made the mistake of trusting someone I never met in person. Easily one of the biggest mistakes of my life working on that project. Never trust anyone that wants to profit off your creation would be my advice to any other potential entrepreneurs.

Yep, I thought designing and building a NES console myself was so incredible at first. Now 5 years later I just wish I could have been satisfied with regular video mods to original consoles.

I am really proud of my design and worksmanship on the Super 8 bit. I do think I built one of the best NES consoles available anywhere. That doesn't matter too much when a machine can make them by the hundreds or thousands using all modern components for very cheap. Hand built Nintendoes are a lost art I guess.......

Thank you everyone that supported this project and thank you Atariage for always being a great video game forum!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I have sold my last available Super 8 bit system in April. I will not be making any more Super 8 bit consoles icon_sad.gif

The reasons are numerous:

1. Too many retro NES consoles available now.

2. Other retro consoles being sold actually have money for advertising.

3. Other retro consoles cost 1/4 what a Super 8 bit costs to build.

3. Building Super 8 bit systems mostly by hand and removing CPU / PPU chips is an INSANE amount of work.

4. This project took way too much of my time and I'm taking a break forever.

A total of 40 Super 8 bit consoles [with aluminum cases] were built. I made even more than that if you include the Polycase AG versions that didn't have the Famicom cartridge slot.

I sent the very first Super 8 bit I made to the Angry Video Game Nerd. I'm kind of disappointed because I think he gets lots of donations and he's never even used it. Oh well

I worked on the original version Analogue NT project in its early stages. That did NOT go well. That decision really hurt the chances of the Super 8 bit being more successful. Actually that was my fault because I made the mistake of trusting someone I never met in person. Easily one of the biggest mistakes of my life working on that project. Never trust anyone that wants to profit off your creation would be my advice to any other potential entrepreneurs.

Yep, I thought designing and building a NES console myself was so incredible at first. Now 5 years later I just wish I could have been satisfied with regular video mods to original consoles.

I am really proud of my design and worksmanship on the Super 8 bit. I do think I built one of the best NES consoles available anywhere. That doesn't matter too much when a machine can make them by the hundreds or thousands using all modern components for very cheap. Hand built Nintendoes are a lost art I guess.......

Thank you everyone that supported this project and thank you Atariage for always being a great video game forum!

I'm Glad I got one while I had the chance. Low budget is great to deal with - let me change the blue led to green.icon_wink.gif

The unit I got was great ( added RGB, cpu and ppu) have used for hours on end with zero problems.

Color and sound are perfect. Work great the with everdrive too.

Looking at the board when I had it open, the quality was top notch.

What ever your do in the future, good luck!

And If you make anymore video game stuff, I' be first in line!

Edited by H454
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/20/2017 at 10:22 AM, pirek22 said:
Hello

Can anyone share the project to create PCBs ??

Or maybe someone has another project nes and can share it.

I would like to create such a miracle from scratch, starting with creating PCBs.

Can anyone share a tile project ??

One last plea from the community.  This is really good work, don't let it die on the vine.  I want to run with it...  Time is my most important resource.  I will reinvent the wheel if I need to.   I'd rather be learning Verilog and figuring out GCC tool chains for arm chips...   Please give me and the community some "time"

Edited by Handles77