IGNORED

Building a PEB

moulinaie

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know that much about the CorComp RS232 but I've heard it has a number of bugs. If you can, I'd say get a real TI RS232, maybe not an option. Speeds, you are probably going to be limited to about 9600, 19200, maybe 38400 depending on a few factors but don't count on it.

My two best methods for transferring files to real TI is either MFM (Magic File Manipulator) and TI99-PC which runs on a PC to write directly to a floppy disk.

MFM is good start but you'll quickly find it's tedious, slow, and cumbersome.

TI99-PC is by far the best route but requires a lot of trial and error with hardware. Do your research well on this as you may run in circles for awhile if you don't. As they say.... "Been there, done that."

There are a couple of other methods as well but now that I have a dedicated machine to run TI99-PC and write directly to floppy disk, it's the quickest least headache way to do it. (In my opinion).

VDM (Virtual Disk Manager) is another potentially useful app. I find it too slow for my needs (like MFM)

DSKXFR is another but I have not used it so I have no advice.

Most likely you'll need MFM to get "something" over to the TI serially. Then explore the other options. I don't have links, handy, for these apps but Google will surely get you results.

Best of luck!

-D

"Long Live the TI-99/4a!"

I had CorComp card as a kid and never had problems. I used it for printing and also for 300 baud modem.

-H

I think in general it was okay but it has some definite well known and documented bugs, so just be aware. In other words, if you run into a problem, it may in fact be a bug. The TI card has a documented bug (Interrupt line) as well but, that one is software patchable, and most programs are "aware" of it. I've been doing a bunch of hardware research and have found a number of references to the problem(s). Unfortunately I can't recall where I read them, I've been through at least half of all the Micropendiums and a ton of User Group newsletters and is now all blending together in my little brain. hehe

I use to run a BBS (around 1985 or so) using AfterHours BBS software and a CorComp RS232 & DSDD controller. Spent ~$200 on a 300/1200 auto answer modem. Talk about speed! ;) Eventually I added a CorComp 512k RAMdisk to offload the floppy access. Those were the days!

-D

"Long Live the TI-99/4a!"