IGNORED

DIY Vectrex Composite Video Mod

Andromeda Stardust

Late breaking news! This simple 10-minute mod only requires two solder points and allows you to output Vectrex video directly to any CRT TV set. Actual modding of the television set is not necessary. Only caveat is that proper screen orientation will require tilting the TV on it's side. This mod will allow you to play any and all Vectrex games on your large TV screen in glorious monochrome, especially useful to resurrect your Vectrex if the original picture tube is worn out or busted.

All pertinent details on how to perform this mod will be revealed to you in the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/cygv95n

Edited by stardust4ever

Making fun of a dead console by using a dead singer? Does that mean the joke is dead right off the bat?

Everybody is so obsessed with Composite video mods, and I knew that vector graphics are technically impossible on any consumer grade CRT TV without completely gutting the electronics and rewiring the tube. So it made sense that such a mod would be technically impossible, but people are gullible enough to click the link anyway.

Originally, I had the link point to the NES "Rick Roll" cart:

but as much as I love the 80s, as well as NES, the "Rick Roll" joke is just so old and worn out by now. Trololo is so much classier because he really doesn't say anything at all. The fact some guy looped it for 10 hours is just too hilarious. It even says "Trololo" in the comment tag!

See? It's not an April Fools joke after all! :-D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pascual.nicholson/news-2010.htm

(scroll down to August 23rd)

What complicated new technology is housed in the VODE box I hear you ask? Ah, sorry to disappoint you all. The VODE simply houses an old 640x480 pixel digital camera operating in video mode and pointing at a standard Vectrex console. The box is present to prevent reflections from ambient light. The camera feeds compositie video into the TV via the TV's SCART socket. It’s not easy to see the actual screen quality in the video, but admittedly, I knew in advance that I would be disappointed with the final result. Not only for the fact that the resulting graphics on the TV are comprised of pixels instead of crystal sharp vector lines, but also because the resolution of the camera is poor.
Edited by stardust4ever

No!!! It was a joke...more like 8min, but it felt like 8hrs.

Nah, we will lock you in a private theater, eyelids peeled back in true "Clockwork Orange" fashion, and force you to submit to a 10 hour viewing session of "Trololo" everyday for 6 months. That movie was pretty sick, btw...

• 6 years later...

So composite out mod on the vectrex is possible but for what i,ve readed is that not only the vectrex generates vector graphics, but that also the builtin screen is vector based,(duh) but i wonder from wich point it starts to draw graphics on screen, a normal crt screen generates an images from top to bothum from left to richt,so there must be a clever way to convert vector signals into raster signals before it can be send to a raster display,,mmm,,

Also in case of the light pen, i readed that the screen spins the coil from bothum to top instead and it may also goes from right to left, so it may works in reverse as opposed to an normal crt screen or it may only starts from bothum to top but does go from left to right,so am really curious to know how the light pen interacts with the screen, is it indeed different or does it work the same way as the C64???

Lastly there also is a lcd replacement mod if the builtin screen is dead,but that will render light pen support to be useless.