IGNORED

Season 6 Round 4 - Up 'n Down - CANCELLED

Ikrananka

Up 'n Down - CANCELLED (See Post #36)

post-5757-0-81037200-1348941172_thumb.png

Drive your Baja Buggy over treacherous miles of deadly roads. Watch out! The course is crawling with opponents who want to make this the last race you run. Beware of killer pick-up trucks, boulders, and swarms of other motoring menaces.

Game Information

Game Name: Up 'n Down

Released by: Sega, 1984

Original arcade game by: Sega, 1983

CV HSC High Score: None

TwinGalaxies High Score: 76,280 by Tom (Aug 2005)

Settings: Skill 1

This game was suggested by: gavvv

Contest Ends

CANCELLED

Contest Rules

The HSC rules can be found here

More than 1.000.000

post-27097-0-20551100-1349050726.png

After one million the score returns to zero. I stopped playing after reaching that score. In the next days I attach a picture with a score about 900.000, that you believe me.

Great score, Boy! :thumbsup:

So I have something around 0.5% with my score...

Oh, I watched a video on youtube and the car JUMPS!!!

More than 1.000.000

After one million the score returns to zero. I stopped playing after reaching that score. In the next days I attach a picture with a score about 900.000, that you believe me.

:-o One million - wow! How long does that take? I'm might have 20-30 minutes every now and then to try a game...

If I understanding the scoring system this season - then my first run at this game was like 3500 points so I'd get 0? why try? (other than the fun of it....)

and up and down, I love this game... You better believe the car jumps (and later tracks absolutely positively REQUIRES it to survive (breaks in the track, etc)

The bonus system is based on how quick you get that 10th flag, so move it baby! :)

As for the scoring system, if I read it right, to get 1 pt against a million point score you need 10,000.

More than 1.000.000

Nice score! How many rounds did it take to get to a million?

Okay, it's clear that this round is demonstrating an issue with the new HSC scoring system. I want to encourage everyone to keep playing and to try and improve their scores (and hence points) but I can understand in circumstances like this that one can draw the conclusion of why bother. So, I am looking for any suggestions on how to improve the scoring system. I am willing to make tweaks to the system and invoke them retrospectively to the beginning of the season - however, I would need the majority of players to agree to any changes before implementation.

One thought I had was to introduce a minimum score of say 10 points. This would replicate the practice that is typical of the other HSC clubs of giving token "participation" points.

Any comments/suggestions most welcome.

In the meantime I have updated the scoreboard in post #1 which shows the impact of Mangia-Boy's outstanding score on the other players.

First thing I want to say is it's great to have huge scores among us :thumbsup:

But I've seen a common rule in some HSCs to keep the fun aspect over the endurance aspect of playing countless hours.

The rule gives the moderator the right to cap scores in a high value but still lower than the ones that force hours of playing.

So, in this case, if up'n'down 1 million needs 8 hours, I would say 2 or 2 and half would be enough playing. Which brings to 500,000 as the 100% score.

That way, you're just saying: if you can make 500,000 points, I consider you can roll the score and I won't expect that you play until your thumb gets hurt. 500,000 will be the 100% score. You can play more for fun ;)

Of course, you can pick anonther mark. 500,000 is just what I think it's already too much.

Finally I want to say this rule is good to avoid beeing sick of playing a game for long time, not to avoid greater skills...

EDIT: 8 hours equals 1 million and 2 or 2 1/2 equals 500,000 then I'm VERY BAD IN MATHS... :P

I know even with 500,000 I'm only with 2 points at the moment and everybody has low points but, man, the boy can roll the score :-o

If he's the only one that can roll the score and nobody can even get near another mark as stated in my post above (lower but still high enough to measure the high skill gamers), then we should live with it or practice the game more.

EDIT: Almost forgot! The 10 points for participation is good. I see no problem with this.

First thing I want to say is it's great to have huge scores among us :thumbsup:

But I've seen a common rule in some HSCs to keep the fun aspect over the endurance aspect of playing countless hours.

The rule gives the moderator the right to cap scores in a high value but still lower than the ones that force hours of playing.

So, in this case, if up'n'down 1 million needs 8 hours, I would say 2 or 2 and half would be enough playing. Which brings to 500,000 as the 100% score.

That way, you're just saying: if you can make 500,000 points, I consider you can roll the score and I won't expect that you play until your thumb gets hurt. 500,000 will be the 100% score. You can play more for fun ;)

Of course, you can pick anonther mark. 500,000 is just what I think it's already too much.

Finally I want to say this rule is good to avoid beeing sick of playing a game for long time, not to avoid greater skills...

EDIT: 8 hours equals 1 million and 2 or 2 1/2 equals 500,000 then I'm VERY BAD IN MATHS... :P

One possible solution is that if someone scores the same as or greater than the official TwinGalaxies high score then those players all receive 100 points and other players scores are all relative to the TwinGalaxies high score and not higher scores if they are achieved. If no-one scores more than the TwinGalaxies high score then the scoring mechanism stays as is, i.e. based on the percentage of the highest score posted. Last season we only had a few instances where the TwinGalaxies high score was breached.

My main goal is to keep the majority motivated. Please provide feedback on these ideas.

• Like 1