IGNORED

Season 6 Round 4 - Up 'n Down - CANCELLED

Ikrananka

Okay, it's clear that this round is demonstrating an issue with the new HSC scoring system. I want to encourage everyone to keep playing and to try and improve their scores (and hence points) but I can understand in circumstances like this that one can draw the conclusion of why bother. So, I am looking for any suggestions on how to improve the scoring system. I am willing to make tweaks to the system and invoke them retrospectively to the beginning of the season - however, I would need the majority of players to agree to any changes before implementation.

One thought I had was to introduce a minimum score of say 10 points. This would replicate the practice that is typical of the other HSC clubs of giving token "participation" points.

Any comments/suggestions most welcome.

I kinda like how the 5200 HSC moderator (zylon) has set up the point system... If 11 players enter... every last place finisher gets +1 point and each player above that last place, goes UP point by point,... and the system never awards LESS then +11 Points for first place!

... the more the players, the higher the point totals awarded.... (but 1st place never gets less then +11)...

...regardless of having less players in a round...

Example

1st-15... 1st beat out 14 people! awarded +15

2nd-14

3rd-13

4th-12

5th-11

6th-10

7th-09

8th-08

9th-07

10th-06

11th-05

12th-04

13th-03

14th-02

15th-01 ...last place always results in +1.

You can also add more point seperation if wanted... (to avoid future ties)

something like this,

1st- +150

2nd-+140

3rd-+130

4th-+120

5th-+110

6th-+100

7th-+90

8th+80

9th-+70

10th-+60

11th-+50

12th-+40

13th-+30

14th-+20

15th-+10.... last place.

...or you could adjust it to award only the amount of

players shown up... kinda like earning points by competition...

If only 6 show up, it could look like this...

1st+6

2nd+5

3rd+4

4th+3

5th+2

6th-+1

What do you think folks ?

If anything like this is accepted... the last 3 rounds need attn.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I kinda like how the 5200 HSC moderator (zylon) has set up the point system... If 11 players enter... every last place finisher gets +1 point and each player above that last place, goes UP point by point,... and the system never awards LESS then +11 Points for first place!

... the more the players, the higher the point totals awarded.... (but 1st place never gets less then +11)...

...regardless of having less players in a round...

What do you think folks ?

If anything like this is accepted... the last 3 rounds need attn.

To be honest, I don't like that system. I want the end of the season to have a known maximum number of points that anyone could achieve, in my current system that would for example be 2500 point for a 25 round season. To achieve the maximum the player would have to win every single round. Inevitably that will not happen - the actual scores I feel should be a measure of how close each player got to the absolute maximum and therefore a measure of how well they played each round and their overall level of participation. With the 5200 HSC point system the maximum score is a moving target and I just don't like that - sorry.

I do think that my point system is a more representative way of measuring players performance and participation. However, I do feel that in the current round this can be rather harsh when such high scores are achieved by one or two. I would consider a minimum number of points, say 10, which is effectively a reward for simply participating. If enough players request this then I am happy to implement this minimum.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: I have discovered a fatal flaw in Up 'n Down that effectively allows for infinite point pushing. It is possible to stay on the first round and score an endless number of points. Last night I went up to around 130,000 points but got bored and gave up (in fact my dinner was ready - but I was also quite bored by that point). The programmer(s) of this game should have implemented a maximum time per round, say 2 minutes, after which you would be killed if you hadn't already collected all of the flags. Unfortunately, with this flaw in the game I see this round as effectively being a useless measure of skill - only one of perseverance which defeats the purpose of the HSC. I am most certainly not accusing Mangia-Boy or patbb of utilising the infinite point pushing flaw to their advantage, however anyone could easily score over 1 million points with this game and there is no way to tell if someone has used the flaw without video proof. The Game Over screen doesn't even tell you the round/level you were on when the game ended. Given the time, I could easily rack up a score of over 1 million and no-one would know, except that I have just told you so I have blown my chance :grin:.

I am seriously considering declaring this round useless and awarding everyone that participates either 10 or 100 points. I would appreciate feedback before implementing anything.

I do apologise and recommend that Up 'n Down be avoided in all future seasons.

Interesting....didn't take me long to figure out what this flaw was...but quite frankly I never even would have thought of doing that while I was playing it.

I agree, we should make another round and cxl this one...I was able to duplicate the issue and all I did was slap the keyboard space bar while I browsed the internet and got this score (see attached)