IGNORED

XBox Smartglass

Master Phruby

Has anyone been playing with Smart Glass on you XBox? I've been playing with under Windows 8. In order to use Smart Glass, you have to set your XBox companion settings (under System>>console settings) to Available. You then have to log into your Windows 8 computer with your Windows Live account. This is the same account your XBox is logged into for XBox Live. It then shows you what application the XBox is using. Windows 8 brings up a touch screen to control your XBox remotely.

I clicked on YouTube on my Windows 8 machine and the XBox brought it up. I could control the video and select other things from the Windows 8 machine. I could buy a game and have it run automatically on the XBox. I don't see a way to control a game as a second screen like the Wii U does but I guess a game has to support Smart Glass to do this.

I haven't seen Smart Glass available for Android yet. Does it work yet with the iOS version?

Yeah, Xbox Companion was rebranded under the SmartGlass name. They made the interface match the Metro look and it's more polished than before.

Still some bugs that should've been worked out by now. Like if you're watching ESPN on the Xbox, the SmartGlass app will recognize that you're watching it but if you touch on ESPN, it will cause the Xbox to reload the app even though it's already running.

• 2 weeks later...

try out how music is streamed to the Xbox now with SmartGlass. it's an easier process now apparently:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/stream-xbox-music-windows-8-xbox-360/

and how to make your own library the default in Xbox Music rather than the music marketplace stuff:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/display-your-xbox-music-video-default-windows-8/

Alright! I got the update about half an hour ago and put it through the paces in Windows 8 (enterprise evaluation version). I used my ancient HP TX2000 laptop which I can't install the final Windows 8 on (I can't get proper video drivers and had to used a hacked laptopvideo2go driver which has some problems and it fails to install with my Intel 80 GB SSD). But the notebook is good enough to show off SmartGlass.

It's pretty slick. You see the GPS on my 12.1" screen. You can zoom in and out. You can filter your various targets like showcases, festival races, etc. The screen scrolls as you're driving. You can choose your destination.

When combined with the Kinect GPS feature, you've got it all covered. I wouldn't use the SmartGlass feature to select destinations. Because it's easier to use the Kinect GPS feature and the back button to see the map. However, if you have your laptop near you, it's neat to drive and see the map without having to pause and pull up the GPS map.

update: I don't know about using it with a phone because the 12.1" screen felt cramped already. To see it on a 4" screen would probably drive me crazy.

I just uploaded the video so Youtube is still processing it. Give it a half hour or so for it to be fully postprocessed.

Again, this ancient laptop will not be getting Windows 8 because of the lack of WDDM 1.2 video drivers. I had to get hacked drivers from laptopvideo2go and these drivers have problems with the ancient hardware. But it's good enough to demonstrate SmartGlass. The notebook has a resistive screen so it's not good for fingers. So don't judge touch performance or video performance due to the old machine. Also, this is the enterprise evaluation of Windows 8. It is not the final version. This laptop will not be getting the final version due to driver problems.

Also showing a little of the Kinect functionality. I actually think the Kinect GPS is more useful, but the SmartGlass feature is neat.

Sorry about the poor video quality. My Android tablet takes lousy video. The green path is easy to see on the laptop screen, but the recorder kind of washed out the screen so it's hard to see.

Dance Central 3 has the SmartGlass being the playlist editor where people can add/change the party playlist, even while the people are dancing. so you never have to stop to choose songs. you think of a song and you just add it while your friends are dancing.

there's a new XBLA game. some type of home run kinect game. the person with the smartglass is pitching while the person at the plate will bat, kinect style.

It's too bad Microsoft couldn't have tried to push this functionality further with some of their first party Xbox 360 offerings right at Windows 8 launch. Halo 4 is right around the corner....I'm no proponent by any means of shoehorning functionality into a game just for novelty's sake, but that would have been a great game to showcase Smartglass with. Or Fable The Journey? Right now Smartglass is really the only reason why I was considering upgrading to Windows 8 on my non-touch laptop. If there's really not much showcasing the use of that tech though, I might as well wait. I think the whole 'push'ing music and videos to my console is cool and all, but right now I can just 'pull' my music from my XP machine, so that doesn't do much for me that I can't already do with the current music streaming.

the problem with the current music/video streaming from your PC to your Xbox is how "techy" it is. it is like how it was in Windows XP days. you have to tinker with it, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work.

it's one thing to say that you could stream your stuff to your Xbox with the previous setup, but did people really? I think the current design was too fussy for people to really use it. Sometimes my 360 sees my library on the PC and sometimes the collection disappears.

SmartGlass has the chance to make it an easier process. So I hope it works.