IGNORED

Nightmare On Elm Street (Atari 2600) WIP

Atari Adam

my bad, good luck, love that more homebrews are being done for the 2600

Many thanks for the luck. It has been a year already and we are just now getting sprites done. It is a long process but it is beginning to happen and I know I am starting to get excited.

Hey bloke, is it possible for you to embed a couple of screenies on the forum. I'm in China and I can't see the pics you've uploaded. :(

Unfortunately we have no screen shots available yet. We do have sprites of some of the characters etc... that will be in the gameplay of the game. More will be posted soon as things are being completed.

Is this side scrolling? One screen at a time? Is that a golden-axe kind of perspective? Do you have to chase the victim around a maze-like neighborhood?

Did you go for programming it yourself?

It will be side scrolling. It will play a lot like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I think the Atari needs more side scrolling games. The bonus stage will be like space invaders. The "parents" of the town will throw Molotov cocktails at you and you have to dodge them. You can attack back from the bottom of the screen (like space invaders). The more parents you take out, the more your dream meter will replenish when you end the bonus stage.

I am not programming it. I am still in search of a programmer.

Here's a radical idea: double down!

Get the game engine working and have two sets of assets: ADMAGDesigns and Time Warner. If the deal falls through you just switch to your own stuff. People still buy the game. Everyone wins!

In other news, the level display might not be easy to do. Maybe just a row with soul icons and the dream meter. Check out that I did for my game Stranglehand:

post-13304-0-04923600-1380213410_thumb.png
Just imagine the heart as a "soul" and the red bar in the middle for the dream meter.
  • Like 1

Here's a radical idea: double down!

Get the game engine working and have two sets of assets: ADMAGDesigns and Time Warner. If the deal falls through you just switch to your own stuff. People still buy the game. Everyone wins!

In other news, the level display might not be easy to do. Maybe just a row with soul icons and the dream meter. Check out that I did for my game Stranglehand:

Just imagine the heart as a "soul" and the red bar in the middle for the dream meter.

I like the idea of having them both at the bottom of the screen like that. As far as programming I am unsure of a lot of it. They are just ideas of what the game could look like in action.

I think your plan is much more clear. It seems you're willing to keep the homebrew alive if Time Warner fails. What you posted so far seems like a complete game concept. I think you should have better luck attracting a homebrewer now.

Oh, and not giving up gives you some cred too :)

Many thanks man. I know I started off on the wrong foot when I started this thread. I have been thinking and working hard on finding the right people that will make this happen. I have a better idea of what it is I am looking for in the game itself. A concept and pushing through with it makes a difference. It has been one year and this far we have some stuff completed. I am happy and excited.

Edited by Atari Adam
  • Like 1

Hey, if worse comes to worse. Maybe will all end up will a cool homebrew rom that we can all play regardless.

That is possibly the best attitude I have ever seen come out of a thread like this. This project has very lofty goals, but with a mindset like the one above, you are very likely to achieve everything you are working towards. Very positive...very realistic...very honest. I really hope you see this through to completion! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 3

That is possibly the best attitude I have ever seen come out of a thread like this. This project has very lofty goals, but with a mindset like the one above, you are very likely to achieve everything you are working towards. Very positive...very realistic...very honest. I really hope you see this through to completion! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you. The goal is to work with others to provide and give a game to the community and console I love. That is it.

• Like 1

I think your plan is much more clear. It seems you're willing to keep the homebrew alive if Time Warner fails. What you posted so far seems like a complete game concept. I think you should have better luck attracting a homebrewer now.

Oh, and not giving up gives you some cred too :)

What would you charge to do a game like this?

love the box, still make sure you get the rights even a tribute game will get hit with C&D (look at princess rescue)

Rightly so, but lets be honest, Princess Rescue was a blatant rip off of the actual mario games. The entire game itself was a mario clone/rip off. there was nothing original to the game as far as making it an original game outside of the nintendo universe. there was so much there that nintendo could bring forth a c&d. Nintendo as well, is a company very much and will only maker of a mario game. this is why you never see nintendo character cameos. look how much it took to get bowser and such in wreck it ralph. With the horror movie community I have noticed that tributes, fan art and so much more are done with likeness characters without licensing it is ridiculous. The horror movie community and the respective ip owners (for the most part) love when tributes and fan things are done to keep the legacy of there work alive. I know A LOT of artist that go to conventions that sell art of movie characters and names without licensing. Most of them have the original actors sign the art and buy the art as well. Nothing ever comes out of it because the horror community isn't about law suits and regulations but more to keep the scene alive. Nintendo is a gaming conglomerate that waits for something like this to happen.

love the box, still make sure you get the rights even a tribute game will get hit with C&D (look at princess rescue)

I haven't been around lately. DID PR get a C&D? I thought it was still for sale.

I think that the game concept looks excellent and very doable, and I'm pretty certain that the souls/level meter could be done the way you describe in your concept without too much trouble. Getting the numbers on the TOP of the screen may be more difficult--I'd have to talk to some people.

I'd be willing to help with programming as well, if you need it.

I haven't been around lately. DID PR get a C&D? I thought it was still for sale.

I think that the game concept looks excellent and very doable, and I'm pretty certain that the souls/level meter could be done the way you describe in your concept without too much trouble. Getting the numbers on the TOP of the screen may be more difficult--I'd have to talk to some people.

I'd be willing to help with programming as well, if you need it.

I am looking for a programmer for this. If this is something you would be interested in please message me and we can talk more. PAC-MAN-RED is doing the sprite word. I would like to develop a small team for "Splatterhouse Video Games" so not only this title, but future titles can happen as well.