IGNORED

New Dashboard

HammR25

Last night MS had a system update for me and it ended up being a new dashboard that has some nice new features. Apparently they're slowly rolling it out this week to everyone.

My favorite new feature is that I can now pin things to a spot on the Home screen to permanently keep them there for quicker access. They've also managed to get more items on each menu at a time which is better because it means switching screens less.

It includes a version of Internet Explorer.

I assume some people here beta tested it. They probably know a lot more about it than I do.

actually, it's not the same layout. the tabs have been changed. now games is only 2 tabs away. and tv and video has been consolidated. more screen real estate is being used. and there's a lot of little touches that aren't readily apparent. like the huge gray blob is minimized (though, technically, depending on the theme you use, the effect on your wallpaper varies). like avatars are bigger now. but besides the cosmetic changes, lots of little details are different. even the xbox guide has been changed.

yes, it would've been cool if you could totally arrange the tiles the way you like it on the home tab. but even with the pinning the way it is now, it's still better than the last dash.

search is also much better integrated and it's specific for the tab you're using. so if you choose search while in games, you see game related matters. choose search while in movies, you see media related items. want generic searching? use the bing tab.

metro.jpg

last dashboard

xlarge.jpg

current dashboard

It's certainly no worse than it was before with advertising.

I like the pins tab and Internet Explorer was neat to mess around with and might come in handy here and there. Also like that the backgrounds are a bit more visible. They were almost completely obscured on the previous dashboard.

It's a slight improvement over what we had before. Still wishing we had the original dashboard, but at least they took things in a positive direction this time even if it was slight.