IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

Nice find. At this rate Air Raid is going to be a rarity 6 pretty soon!

:spidey:

Fine by me. Maybe I'd actually be able to get a copy!

I agree about that Cosmic Swarm. Very cool. Strange that it's a shorter-than-normal box for a taller-than-normal cartridge!

I agree about that Cosmic Swarm. Very cool. Strange that it's a shorter-than-normal box for a taller-than-normal cartridge!

Yeah for some reason Commavid did that for their first game before settling on the more common design. There's a standard version of the Cosmic Swarm box as well, but I think that was only released overseas under another company. The DP guys have the unreleased US version of it however.

• Like 2

If there where only 20 of these games ever made how could it ever be anything other than a 10

I don't think anyone knows the actual number, there was the guy who said his father made the mold that pressed them and I think thats were the 20 number came from...but he dissapeared and nothing was ever really proven.

Anything your father can remember about it would be greatly aprieciated by the community since this game is still kind of a mystery.

Oh, and yes, you will make a ton of cash from it. Congrats!

If there where only 20 of these games ever made how could it ever be anything other than a 10

Because those are just the ones currently documented (I thought it was less than 20, actually, I forget). We can't count what we don't know about.

It's happened before. Some games/items used to be considered Holy Grails before palettes of them were uncovered in Venezuela, for instance. Atari NTSC Motorodeo was one, I believe. What was once a multihundred-dollar game can now be had for about 30 or 40 bucks, depending on what shipping costs.

Games like Atari Video Cube and Chase The Chuck Wagon once sold for hundreds; now, not so much.

I'm not saying that's going to happen with Air Raid. In fact, it seems HIGHLY unlikely, given the game's background, that a whole pile of them will just show up one day. But drastic changes in value can happen.

In any event, the comment about it becoming a Rarity 6 was a joke.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

I wonder how high this one will go? Some things to consider...

The pro's....

- This one is in better condition, thats huge!

- After a little examination by Albert/etc, there will be NO doubt of this ones authenticity since one has already been found to compare it to. No possiblility of an April fools prank this time :)

The Con's...

- 2 big spenders just dropped a TON of cash on Red sea crossing, they may have to let the bank account recover for a bit (although I don't know, they might be ready to go, ugh, I should have went to college, lol)

- another big spender already owns the only other known boxed one, if I remember correclty only him and one other guy pushed it up another 10k at the end

The outcome?

What do you guys think? Will this effect the price? Higher or lower than the first auction? I really have no idea myself, Red sea crossing really surprised me with BOTH carts hitting 10k+

Either way, what a story this guy will have His dad has a 5 digit price tag game in MINT condition that has been stored perfectly for 30 years...someones going to celebrate soon :)

• Like 1

IMO you won't find an Air Raid in a better condition than this one.

It looks flawless.

No folds, stains or creases anywhere, right?

8)

No folds. No stains. Creases I do not remember seeing any. I am going to make a video of the game being played and also take high res pictures tomorrow. I will post them ASAP. Thanks!

Sweet!! It's awesome that this copy has an actual backstory or "provenance". You should have your Dad write down the story of how he got it, etc in a letter form that could be kept with the game. Believe it or not, it may actually make the treasure (slightly) more desirable.

Thanks I will definitely have him do that. The whole story of this game is pretty cool. The treasure hunt that my father and I went through to find this game in his storage unit was amazing. It is something we both will never experience ever again. It means so much for us to have done this together.

Edited by AIR-RAID
  • Like 2

Great find :-o Hope everything goes well if you decide to sell.

Thanks! Yes we will sell soon just do not know when. I am trying to figure out the right away to go about this. This is a one in a lifetime transaction that will take place. I have a feeling there will never be another Air Raid found in the box and for sure there will NEVER be another one that has been only played a few times and taken care of as well as this game has.

I have a message asking me to sell the box and the game separate ........I do not think this is a good idea considering that the game and box have been together for 30 years.

It would seem sacrilegious to me.

A bad idea, sale value wise. And I am glad you are also thinking about things other than value; it is is refreshing.

• Like 3

Yeah for some reason Commavid did that for their first game before settling on the more common design. There's a standard version of the Cosmic Swarm box as well, but I think that was only released overseas under another company. The DP guys have the unreleased US version of it however.

i thought it odd that they went with the shorter box as well, but it wasn't just cosmic swarm. room of doom has the short box too.

...I have a feeling there will never be another Air Raid found in the box...

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, that's what the seller of the last one probably thought. :-D But hey, for all we know, it's true.

...and for sure there will NEVER be another one that has been only played a few times and taken care of as well as this game has.

I'm inclined to agree. :)

I appreciate that you seem to have an interest in this beyond the monetary value of the game. You care about the story of it, and you strike me as someone who cares about what happens to it after it leaves your hands. With most people, they find this old stuff in their parents' attic or wherever and they come here with dollar signs in their eyes. Usually their stuff is worth nowhere near what they thought and they're never heard from again, but when it IS (and more), the whole thing becomes a circus. Not that there's anything wrong with trying to get a little money, but it's refreshing (as Chuck said) to see that you're motivated by other considerations than money alone. :thumbsup:

And I'll chime in with everybody else here in regards to splitting up the cartridge and box: DON'T DO IT!

• Like 6

So before the boxed one sold last year or whenever that was hadn't there been a rumor for years thats omeone had a boxed one but just couldn't find it? Is this the one or was that another one?

that one belonged to Terry Rutt (not sure the spelling of the last name without looking it up in my notes)

Rick