IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

I find it hard to believe these were ever circulated. The Tuesday morning one was a fluke if you ask me.

Theory...

The air raid "distributer" gave the store a free copy, in hopes they would place a large order for numerous copies, it sat in an office for a bit and somehow ended up on the bargain table as merchandise.

I'm guessing all the surfaced copies were freebies at some point, no stores ever placed an order, and air raid distributer guy moved on to another get rich quick idea :)

I personally think this is spot on. I'd be suprised if there are too many of these that surface. The Taiwanese are (were) amazing at making low cost low production run items. This is the third box that has surfaced and I wouldnt be suprised if another doesnt surface for a very long time, if ever. and dont expect a venezuealan find for this title either.

The one thing that still puzzles me about Air raid is the fact that whilst it was made in taiwan, i have never come across a pirate cart with this title on it. Just about everything else has found its way onto a pirate cart except this, and the taiwanese clearly has access to the ROM. It just doesnt make sense at all.....

Awesome find BTW, and there are a lot of collectors with deep pockets that would make this sell high if it was listed on ebay. Not sure whether GG is the way to go.

The one thing that still puzzles me about Air raid is the fact that whilst it was made in taiwan, i have never come across a pirate cart with this title on it. Just about everything else has found its way onto a pirate cart except this, and the taiwanese clearly has access to the ROM. It just doesnt make sense at all.....

I totally agree with you on this one. Virtually every other rom out there has been pirated by Taiwan and have been renamed and found their way on to multi carts. The sample idea has the most merit and would explain its rarity scale. ;)

If it's not a manual, maybe it's a letter or order form from the rep on how to order copies (just an idea I'm throwing out there, I have no idea what the surprise is, but am looking forward to finding out).

That's what my money would be on. Perhaps some sort of letter or something talking about the game! :)

Dumb question time, but what's the gameplay like? I've never so much as even looked at the ROM or downloaded it, so I'm curious.

It's basically a hack of space Jockey. If it didn't have such an odd cartridge, crazy rarity and such unexplained mystery behind it the game would be worth about $200, lol

If it is a manual or some kind of documentation then would they get more money if they just describe what kind of information it has instead of scanning or revealing the specifics?

This type of information is important for historical documentation. Most high profile buyers tend to hoard their collections and not reveal them to the world. If a manual indeed exists, this is probably the one and only golden opportunity to reveal it to the world.

This type of information is important for historical documentation. Most high profile buyers tend to hoard their collections and not reveal them to the world. If a manual indeed exists, this is probably the one and only golden opportunity to reveal it to the world.

What historical documentation has most high profile buyers not revealed to the world? It might be like a ROM dump in a way. Someone may pay more to be the first to know and/or dump the historical documentation.

What historical documentation has most high profile buyers not revealed to the world? It might be like a ROM dump in a way. Someone may pay more to be the first to know and/or dump the historical documentation.

Or he may just hoard it. A lot of high profile prototype owners like to sit on the game and refuse to dump it unless the community pays a ransom note on it. Plenty of NES prototypes have been lost to time that way. We don't know what the buyer will ultimately do with it; technically he could use it to wipe his butt if he wanted, and has every right to do so. "Air Raid" seems genuinely concerned about the preservation and documentation of the game. If it was mine, I would go the extra mile and buy a brand new scanner just to document it (I actually happen to have a 10+ years old scanner that's in perfect working condition, but no Windows 7 drivers so I can't use it).

The difference is that we're talking about a released game here. It's 20 of a kind, or 50 of a kind, or whatever number of Air Raids were made. If the buyer decides to sit on the instructions (if they exist), then undoubtedly, in time, another copy of those instructions will surface. I can't believe that all 20 or however many people threw out their instruction booklets.

A proto is different. That dusty box in a warehouse somewhere in Texas might well contain the ONLY copy ever made of an early work in progress, or that rusty old car in a junkyard might really contain the last surviving cart of a completely playable prototype. There aren't any more after that, so no one else is gonna produce that same prototype if the owner of a one of a kind item decides to hoard it.

I'm not gonna say it's right or wrong not to release that kinda stuff. There's pros and cons to both releasing and hanging on to it.

Or he may just hoard it. A lot of high profile prototype owners like to sit on the game and refuse to dump it unless the community pays a ransom note on it. Plenty of NES prototypes have been lost to time that way. We don't know what the buyer will ultimately do with it; technically he could use it to wipe his butt if he wanted, and has every right to do so. "Air Raid" seems genuinely concerned about the preservation and documentation of the game. If it was mine, I would go the extra mile and buy a brand new scanner just to document it (I actually happen to have a 10+ years old scanner that's in perfect working condition, but no Windows 7 drivers so I can't use it).

They may or may not hoard it. I'm just curious if it would have an effect on the price if that was left up to the buyer. Would someone pay more for a document that they or anyone else hasn't seen?