IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

Got my DK XM cart yesterday! I haven't really been keeping up with this project at all, so it was awesome to find (via the included manual) that the Pie Factory is included. I was under the impression it was just the original game but with Pokey sound, but nope! Definitely looking forward to trying it out whenever the XM's ship. I was one of those kids that grew up with the NES version, so I never had access to the PF.

For a quick deepening, I suggest you the list of updates (incomplete ;) ):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/204250-donkey-kong-xm-pre-order-and-demo/page-25?do=findComment&comment=2795684

and the list of differences from the NES version:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211946-what-is-the-best-home-port-of-donkey-kong/page-4?do=findComment&comment=2948054

• 1 month later...

I'm selling a few special versions of DK XM which I have renamed "Donkey Kong PK". These carts use CPUWIZ's versa board and contain a POKEY chip so it doesn't need the XM module for sound. But it will still work in an XM module which adds High Score Cart funtionality.

I've already build 6 of these and sold them to a few AA members. I have parts to build 4 more and will offer them for sale. Price is higher than DKXM at $50 plus shipping. This is due to the added cost of the versa-board, POKEY and other support chips. Here's a pic. I won't be selling any more of these until after the XM ships. PM me if you want one.

Thanks. :)

post-24519-0-05108200-1400592716_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I got Donkey Kong "PK" a week or two ago. Tonight I finally hooked up my 7800 and played it. First I played a round or two of original 7800 DK (ugh! the horrible horrible SOUND!).

I don't yet know what all Perry did, but this is an entirely different game. The POKEY sounds (which always impressed me on the A8 version) are here and are awesome. I'm pretty sure the Pie Factory was added, I don't recall it being in any version except the A8 version. And the game is very challenging! I am getting killed left and right. Note that this is a good thing , to me. I hate easy games - they grow boring too quickly, and the original arcade version of DK was very challenging.

Kudos Tep392!!

• Like 3

Reposting from the other thread:

Question, hypothetically speaking, if the XM is never released or no one who had not backed will not get those (although Curt told me that when it is released, there will be a window of opportunity for those of us who had not preordered it to get on the list), is there a way to get sound out of Donkey Kong XM? Will CPUWIZ's thingamabob work? Would it be extremely difficult for me (or for someone whom I pay) to add a Pokey chip? I'm ignorant here, but I'm just thinking up things. Also, I really want to play my DK XM cart with sound as soon as I can.

Reposting from the other thread:

Question, hypothetically speaking, if the XM is never released or no one who had not backed will not get those (although Curt told me that when it is released, there will be a window of opportunity for those of us who had not preordered it to get on the list), is there a way to get sound out of Donkey Kong XM? Will CPUWIZ's thingamabob work? Would it be extremely difficult for me (or for someone whom I pay) to add a Pokey chip? I'm ignorant here, but I'm just thinking up things. Also, I really want to play my DK XM cart with sound as soon as I can.

Answered from the other thread.

• Like 1

I got Donkey Kong "PK" a week or two ago. Tonight I finally hooked up my 7800 and played it. First I played a round or two of original 7800 DK (ugh! the horrible horrible SOUND!).

I don't yet know what all Perry did, but this is an entirely different game. The POKEY sounds (which always impressed me on the A8 version) are here and are awesome. I'm pretty sure the Pie Factory was added, I don't recall it being in any version except the A8 version. And the game is very challenging! I am getting killed left and right. Note that this is a good thing , to me. I hate easy games - they grow boring too quickly, and the original arcade version of DK was very challenging.

Kudos Tep392!!

Thanks for the compliments! I'm very glad you like it. :) The difficulty should be pretty close to the arcade machine on ARCADE setting. It is a little bit easier on NOVICE but can still kick your butt. JAPAN mode makes the ramps screen a lot easier because you can stand at the top of the ladder and the barrels won't roll down on your head.

• Like 2

I don't yet know what all Perry did...

Partial cliff notes here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/204250-donkey-kong-xm-pre-order-and-demo/page-25?do=findComment&comment=2795684

Perry left only a very small percentage (5-10%) of the original code in place. What started as a hack is really a completely reprogrammed game, nearly from the ground up.

Just to add to that, Marco (Defender_2600) 're-created' many of the graphics you see in this updated port. They are as Arcade proportionally exact as possible under the 7800. He has converting Arcade graphics over to the 7800 console down as both a science and a work of art.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The four carts are accounted for.

Thanks.

Sorry to bother you but as I am late to the 7800 homebrew scene is there a reason why no more carts will be made. And since the XM has not yet released when it does come out, as I plan to buy one is there a possibility that DK will once again be available, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

New to this forum and bummed having read through this whole thread to know that I can't get this game and the pie level with sound.

After the XM ships more will be made available.

"I'm selling a few special versions of DK XM which I have renamed "Donkey Kong PK". These carts use CPUWIZ's versa board and contain a POKEY chip so it doesn't need the XM module for sound...I won't be selling any more of these until after the XM ships."

After the XM ships more will be made available.

"I'm selling a few special versions of DK XM which I have renamed "Donkey Kong PK". These carts use CPUWIZ's versa board and contain a POKEY chip so it doesn't need the XM module for sound...I won't be selling any more of these until after the XM ships."

Hi, just bought the XM version that requires the module but will definitely buy a copy that has the pokey already installed. Let me know what I need to do to get on the pre-order list, thanks

• 1 month later...