IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

A note - with the BIOS enabled in Prosystem, this game doesn't load. I don't know if this has an impact on real hardware, but figured I'd put it out there.

Thank you! I had the start of memory defined incorrectly so the signature wasn't created correctly. I've posted the fixed binary's.

First of all, Bravo! I like the additions that you have made to the original 7800 Donkey Kong namely:

1. The Pokey sounds are great. I assume that you added the sounds.

2. The in-between screen animations are great as well as the beginning and in-between levels animations. They are very faithful to the arcade version.

3. I like that you have followed the Japanese version of the arcade as far as the order of the screens instead of the US version which I never liked.

4. Your Cement Factory stage is excellent but needs the tweaks that you mentioned.

All in all, so far it is excellent.

I'm not sure how far you want to go toward the arcade version but there's a couple of things that I would like to see.

1. In the arcade versions, after the second screen(in your case the Cement Factory) you get another man if you complete it.

2. In the arcade versions, on the elevator stage there is a hat on the lower beam between the two elevators. It would be nice if that was added.

3. In the arcade versions, on the rivet stage there are a hat, purse and umbrella. In the 7800 version there are two umbrellas for some reason. It would be nice if the hat, purse, and umbrella were there in their correct place.

I suppose there are other things but so far I love your version. Thanks for showing the rom and good luck completing it.

Chuck

edit: I tried the NES version and they have the hat, purse, umbrella the same as the 7800 version. I still think it would be nice to have them in the correct places as in the arcade version though. BTW, there is an NES version that has the Cement Factory for any that don' know.

Edited by ChuckH

First of all, Bravo! I like the additions that you have made to the original 7800 Donkey Kong namely:

1. The Pokey sounds are great. I assume that you added the sounds.

2. The in-between screen animations are great as well as the beginning and in-between levels animations. They are very faithful to the arcade version.

3. I like that you have followed the Japanese version of the arcade as far as the order of the screens instead of the US version which I never liked.

4. Your Cement Factory stage is excellent but needs the tweaks that you mentioned.

All in all, so far it is excellent.

I'm not sure how far you want to go toward the arcade version but there's a couple of things that I would like to see.

1. In the arcade versions, after the second screen(in your case the Cement Factory) you get another man if you complete it.

2. In the arcade versions, on the elevator stage there is a hat on the lower beam between the two elevators. It would be nice if that was added.

3. In the arcade versions, on the rivet stage there are a hat, purse and umbrella. In the 7800 version there are two umbrellas for some reason. It would be nice if the hat, purse, and umbrella were there in their correct place.

I suppose there are other things but so far I love your version. Thanks for showing the rom and good luck completing it.

Chuck

edit: I tried the NES version and they have the hat, purse, umbrella the same as the 7800 version. I still think it would be nice to have them in the correct places as in the arcade version though. BTW, there is an NES version that has the Cement Factory for any that don' know.

Thanks Chuck. Those are all great suggestions and I'll look into making them. They should all be possible.

Bonus life awarding is not contingent upon level completion, but points scored. Most users after passing the second screen have crossed the usual dip switch setting of 7000 points to obtain another life.

Alternatively, bonus life achievement can be set instead of 7000 to: 10000, 15000, or 20000.

Additionally, start lives can be set to 3, 4, 5, or 6 lives according to dip switch settings. The usual setting is 3.

• Like 1

Trebor,

Right you are! I forgot about that. In the case of this version, it would be nice to get a bonus life after one of those scores.

This is probably beyond the scope of this version but there is a great hack that has an additional screen called the Foundry Stage. It would be great to see that added but maybe at another time if possible.

Thanks for the video above.

Some comments: I kinda thought the sound Mario makes when walking would be more authentic to the arcade here. Most of the other sound effects are improvements and very nice though, but I am wondering is that the closest that pokey can do for mario's footsteps here?

Also, I love the colors now, did you change the barrels because they appear a nicer orange color than what I remember. I haven't played my 7800 DK in awhile to notice. The game looks really awesome and I am looking forward to playing this in the future on a real 7800xm.

Also, I love the colors now, did you change the barrels because they appear a nicer orange color than what I remember. I haven't played my 7800 DK in awhile to notice. The game looks really awesome and I am looking forward to playing this in the future on a real 7800xm.

KevinMos3 helped to translate the Arcade RGB values over to this version. The screen colors will look more like this on a real 7800:

post-18-0-44815400-1351246935_thumb.png