IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

Can existing Ballblazer boards be retrofitted to become DK Pokey, or does it still require pulling the Pokey out of Ballblazer to put into one of CPUWIZ's boards?

It needs CPUWIZ's board. I can use the POKEY chip and shell from the Ballblazer cart.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my game. Sound is nice unfortanately has a major glitch and crashes. 2 player novice japan screens. Got to the fourth screen(rivet)and died my daughter got to the pie level(second screen) and died and then for my turn it never went to went black and crashed.

Us arcade just has 2 screens? I never played in the arcade but watched so I wouldnt know.

Sound is great to have but too bad its only one player.

I have at least 5 or 6 7800 homebrews with fatal crashes if we had a h2 we could test these 2 player on real hardware to catch more of the faults. I know most of these games I have bought now have fixed versions out.

I usually find the faults within 3 minutes of playing. And I always atari with my kids which is fun. But I end up sticking with the original 7800 games as 2 player always does wacky stuff with my homebrew.

Got my game. Sound is nice unfortanately has a major glitch and crashes. 2 player novice japan screens. Got to the fourth screen(rivet)and died my daughter got to the pie level(second screen) and died and then for my turn it never went to went black and crashed.

Us arcade just has 2 screens? I never played in the arcade but watched so I wouldnt know.

Sound is great to have but too bad its only one player.

I have at least 5 or 6 7800 homebrews with fatal crashes if we had a h2 we could test these 2 player on real hardware to catch more of the faults. I know most of these games I have bought now have fixed versions out.

I usually find the faults within 3 minutes of playing. And I always atari with my kids which is fun. But I end up sticking with the original 7800 games as 2 player always does wacky stuff with my homebrew.

Sorry to hear that . I'm sure you have tried other consoles but by chance is it your 7800 ? If the carts have issues I know you could send them back and get them fixed .

2 player novice japan screens. Got to the fourth screen(rivet)and died my daughter got to the pie level(second screen) and died and then for my turn it never went to went black and crashed.

I was able to replicate the issue under the same conditions. Question: Have you encountered a crash under any other scenario besides Player 2 dying on the Pie/Factory level? I have tried other 2 players game scenarios which have yet to trigger the same issue. The bug seems to be specific to that condition.

Us arcade just has 2 screens? I never played in the arcade but watched so I wouldn't know.

2 screens only for level 1 under the US version is correct.

The breakdown and difference between the US and Japan versions is as follows (Just like the Arcade):

JAPAN

Levels 1 thru 21:

Barrels/Ramps --> Factory/Pie --> Elevators --> Rivets

US

Level 1:

Barrels/Ramps --> Rivets

Level 2:

Barrels/Ramps --> Elevators --> Rivets

Level 3:

Barrels/Ramps --> Factory/Pie --> Elevators --> Rivets

Level 4:

Barrels/Ramps --> Factory/Pie --> Barrels/Ramps --> Elevators --> Rivets

Levels 5 thru 21:

Barrels/Ramps --> Factory/Pie --> Barrels/Ramps --> Elevators --> Barrels/Ramps --> Rivets

The US arcade screen sequence is interesting..

Yeah, they changed it from the original Japan order to focus more on the "How High Can You Get?" theme presented in progressive stages/goals.

A completed level in the Japan version is always 100M.

In The US version, a completed level starts at 50M and max out at 150M.

Level 1 - 50M

Level 2 - 75M

Level 3 -100M

Level 4 -125M

Level 5(+) - 150M

• Like 1

Whhhhat. I a can't get an XM?

The XM has not been released for public distribution yet. It is still being worked on.

The version Jinks and some others have purchased is the "PK" edition (POKEY chip included). It's the same as the "XM" edition, but only requires the XM for high score saving.

Tep has been building and selling this "PK" edition as resources and circumstances permit.

There is no ETA when more will be made available.

I can not make it past the rivet level on Japan mode as I lose all lives. The freaking fireball guys are spawning at twice the rate of the original 7800 dk.

The spawn rate of the original 7800 version was extremely slow compared to the arcade. Here's the technique I use. The firefox's always spawn on the opposite side of the screen from Mario. I clear all the rivets on the left side of the screen first, ending up on the third platform and grabbing the hammer. Then hammer any firefoxes on the right side of the screen. When they respawn on the left side, they will be trapped behind the missing rivets. You will then have fewer to deal with while you clear the right side.

edit:

Here are some more tips. It's tough to jump the firefoxes because they can suddenly change direction underneath you. It's best to avoid jumping them but there are some patterns to their movements that you can use to improve your odd's if you must jump them. They almost always go left after climbing to the top of a ladder. So if you have one climbing up a ladder to the right of you, and you need to go in that direction, you can usually jump it as it reaches the top of the ladder without worrying about it changing direction underneath you. Also they always move a fixed distance before changing directions, so it's safe to jump them just after they have changed direction towards you. One last thing. They will never go down a ladder if you are above them, but will randomly go up a ladder if you are below them. So they tend to track you down more quickly at the top of the screen than at the bottom. Keep that in mind as you plan your route.

• Like 3

I have to appolize to everyone, as this seems to be a bug affecting all carts. It does seem to be limited to "2 player" mode so shouldn't affect single player. It appears that not many people have played in 2P mode yet or we would have seen this by now. I spent some time testing 2P but appearantly never died on the cement factory screen.

I won't be able to fix existing carts but I am looking at some ways to make it up to everyone. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 4

I can not make it past the rivet level on Japan mode as I lose all lives. The freaking fireball guys are spawning at twice the rate of the original 7800 dk.

Patience and practice...You'll get it. :)

Here's a tip video specific just to that one board - presenting a few different techniques.

I have to appolize to everyone, as this seems to be a bug affecting all carts. It does seem to be limited to "2 player" mode so shouldn't affect single player. It appears that not many people have played in 2P mode yet or we would have seen this by now. I spent some time testing 2P but appearantly never died on the cement factory screen.

Trying to trigger the condition(s) for it now and finding it is very specific to not just P2 dying on the cement/pie factory screen, but also conditional to where P1 left off died/previous. For instance, if P1 dies on the ramp/barrel screen and P2 dies on the cement/pie factory screen, then the game continues without issue - No crash.

EDIT: However, continuing along those lines with further testing in the same scenario, if P2 dies again - a second time - on the ramp/barrel screen, then instead of the game picking up with P2 on the Cement/Pie Factory level, it just goes blank screen. So it's indeed appearing that it is inevitable, if P2 dies on the cement/pie factory level, ultimately the game will crash.