IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

Did someone make a DK PK box for sale?

Marc O makes a XM box. I was going to link directly to his 7800 catalog. But his shop is currently down for an update until tomorrow.

If you are in the US you can't order directly from the site. But send Marc an email with what you want and he will make it happen via paypal.

RetroGamesShop.com

7800_donkey_kong.gif

• Like 2

Yes he is.

Here's a pic of the Marc O box that I purchased a while back. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265890-new-donkey-kong-pk-batch/?p=3768928

Nice so he has an PK version now. The last time I was on all I saw was XM!

I need to do another order. I have at least more Home Brews I need boxes for.

You can email him at - Order@RetroGamesShop

• Like 1

Here is what happens to me. Get to ~70K, then on spring level 4 I die a bunch of times trying to get past springs. This one ended at 72,100.

70K good game

50-60K normal

50K or less is bad game

Only thing I can think to add to game is High Score screen shot, i.e. score with game settings recorded, where you need to press button to get past this screen and replay.

post-27883-0-54469100-1500226456.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome. You playing US or Japanese Stage Order? US order always felt a bit weird IMO, but if you're good enough, starting at loop 5, every other stage is a danged barrel stage. If you ever make it to 150 meters, I tip my hat to you... ;-)

Currently I can get to loop 3 regularly using Japanese stage order. I like it to be the same four stages every time. On US order, you don't even get to the "Pie" level until loop 3.

Also I forgot if loop 4 (125 meter) was barrel-pie-barrel-springboard-rivet, or barrel-pie-springboard-barrel-rivet? I've never made it that far... :P

Here's a pretty good playthrough I did on DK PK (skip to 15:50)

https://youtu.be/58_hMebR6CM?t=15m50s

Donkey Kong PK/XM plays just like its Arcade counterpart. The strategy to successfully pass the Elevators works exactly the same way. Pasted in the spoiler below, taken from the aforementioned link, for convenience:

When Mario reaches the ledge on which Donkey Kong stands, he must time his attempt to climb the ladder and rescue Pauline. The safest strategy is to stand directly over the right elevator, let the springs bounce over Mario, and make a run for the ladder as soon as a spring clears his head.

However, starting at Level 4, the springs come at a much faster rate, and a more detailed strategy is required. It also requires perfect positioning and timing. First, there are two main kinds of springs to worry about. A "short" spring is a spring whose first bounce is to the left of DK's foot. A "long" spring is a spring that bounces off the top of the left elevator (in between Donkey Kong's legs) on its first bounce. Many springs will land somewhere in between ("medium" springs), but they're nothing to worry about until the next step. When you first get to the top, wait for a short spring. When the short spring makes contact on its final bounce, immediately – before it jumps back into the air – start running to the left. Stop on top of the right elevator (the yellow spot), preferably standing halfway off of its right edge. Now, wait for a long spring.

When the long spring lands its first bounce, get ready. (If you don't feel ready, don't go; wait for another one.) After the long spring's second bounce, when it sails over your head, make a dash for the ladder. Now for the hard part: the next spring should preferably be a short spring; though you can still make it if it's a medium spring, it won't give you the perfect amount of time to get up the ladder. If it's a long spring, you'll have to abort and run back to the safe spot. (If you started your dash too close to the ladder, you'll probably be too high up the ladder and get hit.) You cannot abort if it's a short spring, or you might get hit, so you can't necessarily err on the side of caution. Now, often the second spring will be neither a perfect long spring or a perfect short spring – it will land somewhere between DK's left foot and the elevator – and you'll have to use your judgment. However, if the spring falls completely to the left of the elevator, it should be safe.

• Like 3

Donkey Kong PK/XM plays just like its Arcade counterpart. The strategy to successfully pass the Elevators works exactly the same way. Pasted in the spoiler below, taken from the aforementioned link, for convenience:

When Mario reaches the ledge on which Donkey Kong stands, he must time his attempt to climb the ladder and rescue Pauline. The safest strategy is to stand directly over the right elevator, let the springs bounce over Mario, and make a run for the ladder as soon as a spring clears his head.

However, starting at Level 4, the springs come at a much faster rate, and a more detailed strategy is required. It also requires perfect positioning and timing. First, there are two main kinds of springs to worry about. A "short" spring is a spring whose first bounce is to the left of DK's foot. A "long" spring is a spring that bounces off the top of the left elevator (in between Donkey Kong's legs) on its first bounce. Many springs will land somewhere in between ("medium" springs), but they're nothing to worry about until the next step. When you first get to the top, wait for a short spring. When the short spring makes contact on its final bounce, immediately – before it jumps back into the air – start running to the left. Stop on top of the right elevator (the yellow spot), preferably standing halfway off of its right edge. Now, wait for a long spring.

When the long spring lands its first bounce, get ready. (If you don't feel ready, don't go; wait for another one.) After the long spring's second bounce, when it sails over your head, make a dash for the ladder. Now for the hard part: the next spring should preferably be a short spring; though you can still make it if it's a medium spring, it won't give you the perfect amount of time to get up the ladder. If it's a long spring, you'll have to abort and run back to the safe spot. (If you started your dash too close to the ladder, you'll probably be too high up the ladder and get hit.) You cannot abort if it's a short spring, or you might get hit, so you can't necessarily err on the side of caution. Now, often the second spring will be neither a perfect long spring or a perfect short spring – it will land somewhere between DK's left foot and the elevator – and you'll have to use your judgment. However, if the spring falls completely to the left of the elevator, it should be safe.

That kind of twitch reaction time is brutal. I've never been able to watch for the spring then react based on where it lands. As soon as the spring has cleared my head, I make a run for it and pray. Also I used to think there was a "safe zone" at the top of the ladder; at least in the NES version this was the case, but often you can still get hit in this position with the arcade game (and DK PK). I've never made it to the forth loop before but I might have a shot at it if I play starting on the third. Does the spring behave differently in Novice/Arcade modes or US/Japan stage order?

Also I am curious if the arcade "kill screen" still exists where the timer exceeds 8 bits on Loop 22 and doesn't give enough time to finish the stage? Not that I ever have a prayer in reaching it, but it would be cool if someone could test it in emulation with a good debugger to alter memory locations.

• Like 1

WTF there's a kill screen on the 22nd level? Is that in both the U.S. and Japanese versions?

Not that I'd ever make it that far but I always thought loops were infinite. Sorta disappointed knowing this :P

I guess for a person who is really that good and goes for a world record this is pretty darn critical.

Score as much as you can before you reach that 22nd loop.

Its sort of like the that eventual key in Pac-Man in the arcades back in the day,where the screen became a mess :-o

I dont even remember what key it was anymore.

Pretty cool that you added the 22nd "kill" loop in Donkey Kong though. Very authentic to the arcade version :thumbsup:

• Like 1

82,300 Arcade/US start on Level 3.

You're getting really good, Grips! I usually like to keep it true to the (US) Arcade when I play.

165,700 Arcade/US/Level 1:

post-18-0-02818700-1500331495.png

Another attempt was made but my son and pup saw to it being a quick end to an additional attempt...lol.

I've reached either 172,100 or 171,200 previously. My personal long-term goal is the 250,000 threshold. I've set 25,000 increments as short-term goals, so the long term goal doesn't seem impossible to me. :)

...I've never been able to watch for the spring then react based on where it lands. As soon as the spring has cleared my head, I make a run for it and pray....

What is placed in bold in the quoted text is the exact opposite of what needs to be done in order to become good at the elevator level. Below are two examples.

EXAMPLE 1:

post-18-0-18057500-1500333990.png

Jumpman is stationed in the safe area at a good spot, no spring can get to him, but a run should not be attempted after that spring passes overhead in the higher levels.

EXAMPLE 2:

post-18-0-09579500-1500344231.png

Jumpman is again stationed in the safe area at a slightly better spot to the right of Example 1, no spring can get to him; once the spring is overhead - get ready to take off. No stutter in the run with a smooth climb of the ladder and Jumpman will successfully pass the stage on the higher levels.

How Close Can You Get?

Whether referring to how close to the right Jumpman can be stationed, or how close a spring can bounce next to, under, or over Jumpman, trial and error is best for mastering the technique and more rewarding. ;)

It can get pretty close though...post-18-0-97473500-1500344955.png

• Like 6

Back when I was working on this I created a cheat version that would start at level 22 for testing. I just posted a video of it on Youtube.

That's awesome. You really should have included access to that in the game as an zeaster Egg somehow. Kinda like how they included Pacman 256 in the Namco PNPs. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I found how the high score / options selection screen works. If you change any option it changes the high score shown on the screen. So pictures in 1088 and 1096 are the best way to provide high score as they so what options were used to obtain the score.

I found how the high score / options selection screen works. If you change any option it changes the high score shown on the screen. So pictures in 1088 and 1096 are the best way to provide high score as they so what options were used to obtain the score.

Yes, the high score cart allows saving the game options with each score. When the standard high score screen get's displayed during attract mode, it displays the top 5 scores for each combination of settings. I coded the menu screen to read and display the top saved score as the options are changed.