IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

ChuckH said:

I'm not sure how far you want to go toward the arcade version but there's a couple of things that I would like to see.

1. In the arcade versions, after the second screen(in your case the Cement Factory) you get another man if you complete it.

As pointed out by Trebor, I was wrong about that. In this version you get a bonus life after 20,000 and that seems about right.

Chuck

A bit premature..but...DK Jr.????? he he he he he :grin:

DK Jr. might be interesting. I actually prefer the 8-bit computer version over the 7800 even though it's graphics are not as faithful. I plan on upgrading Dig Dug next taking advantage of the Yamaha chip.

• Like 4

I've posted the PAL version. Check out the first post for the update. One thing I've noticed is that Prosystem has a static sound when running POKEY games in PAL mode. I've noticed this with all POKEY games so I don't belief it is a problem with my code. I'm hoping to get it tested on an XM PAL unit in the near future.

Tep392 said:

"I've posted the PAL version. Check out the first post for the update. One thing I've noticed is that Prosystem has a static sound when running POKEY games in PAL mode. I've noticed this with all POKEY games so I don't belief it is a problem with my code. I'm hoping to get it tested on an XM PAL unit in the near future. "

I wasn't going to mention the sound issue as I thought it was just me. I also only had sound coming from one channel. I went to the sound option and changed the Sampling to the highest setting and the Latency to very high and the issues went away.

Chuck

I just want to take a moment to clearify how I am doing this pre-order. I am collecting the money for the carts up front. I am doing this so that I can have an exact count of committed orders before I order all the parts. This way, I avoid having un-sold carts if people change their mind about the purchase, which has already happened to me with the Pac-man Arcade carts. This is a hobby for me, and I want to avoid having money tied up in unsold carts. I hope you understand. If you can't buy one now, don't worry. I will build additional carts after this first batch, and will again handle it as a pre-order.

I have already taken payment for 25 carts and have another pending 25+ requests. I will continue taking payments through November 12th. At that time I will order all the supplies and start label stripping, desoldering, etc. while I finish the coding. I will be able to build the carts quickly once the coding/testing is finished. I expect to have the coding done by the end of November. If the XM hasn't shipped by then, I might still be able to ship the carts if the XM developers can do some testing for me. Grooveybee already helped me out and did a quick test of the PAL version. The POKEY sound was working fine. :)

I hope this clears things up. Please PM me if you have any questions. And remember to give me your shipping address so that I can give you a total cost.

Regards,

Perry

• Like 2

Good eye Tebor. I noticed that but havn't had time to fix it yet. Unfortunately, the barrels and fireball share the same pallet and there aren't any spares, so I can't simply change the color registers when the hammer is active. All the barrels would change at the same time. That is also why it would be difficult to add a periodic blue barrel. Having only 8 pallets if very restrictive.

• Like 1

Good eye Tebor. I noticed that but havn't had time to fix it yet. Unfortunately, the barrels and fireball share the same pallet and there aren't any spares, so I can't simply change the color registers when the hammer is active. All the barrels would change at the same time. That is also why it would be difficult to add a periodic blue barrel. Having only 8 pallets if very restrictive.

I say leave it as is...it doesn't bother me...and since you are only on this screen for a short time...what's the point?

Marc,

Boxes look great, except for one thing.

Your character's name does evolve into "Mario" in the future (In Donkey Kong Jr). Right now though, he is only referred to as "Jumpman".

As a side note: The woman, often referred to as Pauline, received her name when the game was distributed to North American. In Japan, she was only known as "the Lady".

Edit: Grammar.

Edited by Trebor

Cool..thanks for the info and insight.

I say leave it as is...it doesn't bother me...and since you are only on this screen for a short time...what's the point?

Uhhh...since he is attempting to replicate the Arcade experience as close as possible. :D

With all due respect NIKON, it doesn't bother you, but maybe someone feels the same way about Donkey Kong climbing the ladder at the end of the level - Heck, that's a lot shorter time than having the hammer.

Not saying it is a deal breaker or big deal, but again "the point" is to make this the definitive, closest to Arcade port of Donkey Kong possible on the 7800. I brought up that missing element in case it was overlooked for one reason or another. ;)

Edited by Trebor
  • Like 1

Marc,

Boxes look great, except for one thing.

Your character's name does evolve into "Mario" in the future (In Donkey Kong Jr). Right now though, he is only referred to as "Jumpman".

As a side note: The woman, often referred to as Pauline, received her name when the game was distributed to North American. In Japan, she was only known as "the Lady".

Edit: Grammar.

Well. the text I took is from the Atari 7800 box so I think it's ok to name Mario Mario:)