IGNORED

7800 games that should have existed?

Jaynz

Silpheed came out in Japan in '86 ;)

Back in the day I made it to the last boss ship and could never beat it. Gonna try doing that with my USB Atari stick. Plays like a dream in DosBox but weirdly enough if you have it windowed you can't see your own shots. Luckily today's computers can handle full screen and no frame skip without breaking a sweat.

If they haven't been mentioned yet - Pac & Pal, and Gaplus.

Hell, I've spent the last 30 years wondering why the C64 (and only in Europe) was the only home system to get a port of Gaplus. Every other game in the Galaxian series saw a home release, usually on every possible system of the time. Always seemed odd to me that Gaplus never came home.

• Like 2

If they haven't been mentioned yet - Pac & Pal, and Gaplus.

Hell, I've spent the last 30 years wondering why the C64 (and only in Europe) was the only home system to get a port of Gaplus. Every other game in the Galaxian series saw a home release, usually on every possible system of the time. Always seemed odd to me that Gaplus never came home.

I just read the Wikipedia article. Looks like a very intriguing game. I just noticed it was released on Wii VC arcade. Except for Retro city Rampage in January 2013, I haven't purchased Wiiware or VC since I transferred my software over to Wii-U. I'll have to check out if GA-Plus is still available.

Can anybody tell me if someone has thought about having a 7800 version of tempest,

I already have a 7800 and don't want to own another console for a hand full of games, thanks

There was a couple people that planned during a 7800 of Tempest. I know Groovybee started the game, but he's hasn't worked on it for 3 or 4 years. I know he's very busy with the Intellivision and I think he's back helping on the Atari 7800 XM.

There was another person who planned to do Tempest last year, but it was scrapped since Groovybee started his version.

There was a couple people that planned during a 7800 of Tempest. I know Groovybee started the game, but he's hasn't worked on it for 3 or 4 years. I know he's very busy with the Intellivision and I think he's back helping on the Atari 7800 XM.

There was another person who planned to do Tempest last year, but it was scrapped since Groovybee started his version.

Thanks for the info.

Can anybody tell me if someone has thought about having a 7800 version of tempest,

I already have a 7800 and don't want to own another console for a hand full of games, thanks

I don't think Tempest would not have been practical on the 7800 with 1980's memory prices unless the cartridge included some interesting custom hardware. The hardware to create good-looking backgrounds while using a modest amount of memory might not have been too outrageous (it would probably be possible to combine connect four reasonable-sized ROMs and a little extra logic to generate background graphics) but I'm not sure how to handle the spikes at high enough resolution to avoid horrible jaggies without using 8K or more of RAM to hold a bitmapped screen. One of the ARM-based 7800 cartridges might be able to pull off a good Tempest clone, but that would seem like "cheating". Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those carts could pull off a 7800 version of Wolf3d or even Doom, but that would really be cheating.

Thanks for the info.

More Tempest specifics here if curious.

If you're a 'Vector games' fan, although it can become quite pricey/costly, I highly recommend a unique console in your collection - Vectrex; it indeed would not be just "another console".

There is no console system like it and nothing home-based has come closer to the Vector game arcade experience. Its graphics are all vector based, just like the arcade games.

Sites of interest:

http://vectrexmuseum.com/vectrexsystem.php

http://www.vectrexworld.com/

http://www.atarihq.com/vectrex/

• Like 1

I just read the Wikipedia article. Looks like a very intriguing game. I just noticed it was released on Wii VC arcade. Except for Retro city Rampage in January 2013, I haven't purchased Wiiware or VC since I transferred my software over to Wii-U. I'll have to check out if GA-Plus is still available.

I downloaded this to my Wii-U. I also got Zaxxon though I haven't played it yet. GaPlus is really freakking intense and it's even hard not to die in the intros of the levels, because of the swarms, and if you die you have to start the Parsec over unlike Galaga where the enemie formations continue where they left off. It seems like they made this change so the game would eat more quarters. Still, I couldn't stop taking another whack at it so I'd definitely be down with another arcade port by our awesome friend Bob.

I don't think Tempest would not have been practical on the 7800 with 1980's memory prices unless the cartridge included some interesting custom hardware. The hardware to create good-looking backgrounds while using a modest amount of memory might not have been too outrageous (it would probably be possible to combine connect four reasonable-sized ROMs and a little extra logic to generate background graphics) but I'm not sure how to handle the spikes at high enough resolution to avoid horrible jaggies without using 8K or more of RAM to hold a bitmapped screen. One of the ARM-based 7800 cartridges might be able to pull off a good Tempest clone, but that would seem like "cheating". Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those carts could pull off a 7800 version of Wolf3d or even Doom, but that would really be cheating.

Well they made a very good and mostly arcade accurate Tempest port to the 5200. The 7800 hardware is much more powerful than 5200 on the graphics side and can handle a boatload more sprites so I don't see why the same would be any more difficult on the 7800. I think joystick control could be handled well enough to make the game playable, with built in support for for the rarely utilized 2600 trackball controller.

I would love to be able to play an arcade accurate port of Tempest for the 7800. Not the extremely neutered 2600 prototype which they included on the Flashback units despite the fact that it is beyond broken.

Edited by stardust4ever

More Tempest specifics here if curious.

If you're a 'Vector games' fan, although it can become quite pricey/costly, I highly recommend a unique console in your collection - Vectrex; it indeed would not be just "another console".

There is no console system like it and nothing home-based has come closer to the Vector game arcade experience. Its graphics are all vector based, just like the arcade games.

Sites of interest:

http://vectrexmuseum.com/vectrexsystem.php

http://www.vectrexworld.com/

http://www.atarihq.com/vectrex/

And the best classic system controller ever. wish someone would rig those for use on Atari Systems.

I downloaded this to my Wii-U. I also got Zaxxon though I haven't played it yet. GaPlus is really freakking intense and it's even hard not to die in the intros of the levels, because of the swarms, and if you die you have to start the Parsec over unlike Galaga where the enemie formations continue where they left off. It seems like they made this change so the game would eat more quarters. Still, I couldn't stop taking another whack at it so I'd definitely be down with another arcade port by our awesome friend Bob.

Well they made a very good and mostly arcade accurate Tempest port to the 5200. The 7800 hardware is much more powerful than 5200 on the graphics side and can handle a boatload more sprites so I don't see why the same would be any more difficult on the 7800. I think joystick control could be handled well enough to make the game playable, with built in support for for the rarely utilized 2600 trackball controller.

I would love to be able to play an arcade accurate port of Tempest for the 7800. Not the extremely neutered 2600 prototype which they included on the Flashback units despite the fact that it is beyond broken.

I agree if it was possible to have a decent Tempest port for the 5200 then the 7800 should do just fine.

...wish someone would rig those for use on Atari Systems.

Some encouragement/motivation (perhaps) for those with the technical ability (and interest) to convert...

Vectrex Controller Pinout . db9.jpg

1. Button 1
  2. Button 2
  3. Button 3
  4. Button 4
  5. Horizontal pot
  6. Vertical pot
  7. +5v
  8. Gnd
  9. -5v

"The joystick potentiometers work by voltage division between -5V and +5V. Actually, it uses a couple of resistors on each side to make it more like -3.4V to 3.4V."

Vertical Pin 6 Up +3.4v Center 0v Down -3.4v

Horizontal Pin 5 left -3.4v Center 0v right +3.4v

Source: http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/vectrex.htm

post-18-0-99387600-1407106507_thumb.jpgpost-18-0-56476300-1407106572_thumb.gif

The reverse was performed... http://www.playvectrex.com/vectech/da_converter.txt

Well at least a Genesis controller to use on a Vectrex :)

Finally, this document's second part is entitled: "How to make a Sega Genesis Controller to Vectrex Adaptor."

It may be useful to reference/reverse/modify (as needed) to create a 'Vectrex controller to Atari (7800) adaptor.'

• Like 1

yes I second that

The thing is Maniac Mansion shouldn't be even tried as a homebrew or any Lucasfilms or Lucasarts game for that. I am saying that because Disney is as strict as Nintendo is. I am going by info that read at a Disney message board that I am a member of.

Disney owns the rights to all the game Lucas did including Maniac Mansion. I wouldn't even bother Disney for offering money to do a homebrew of Maniac Mansion matter of fact.

Edited by 8th lutz

The thing is Maniac Mansion shouldn't be even tried as a homebrew or any Lucasfilms or Lucasarts game for that. I am saying that because Disney is as strict as Nintendo is. I am going by info that read at a Disney message board that I am a member of.

Disney owns the rights to all the game Lucas did including Maniac Mansion. I wouldn't even bother Disney for offering money to do a homebrew of Maniac Mansion matter of fact.

I know Colecovision Homebrew has made Mario Bros & Donkey Kong is coming out so I don't see any copyright stopping those Homebrews from coming out. Maybe Disney is more on top of things then Nintendo

I know Colecovision Homebrew has made Mario Bros & Donkey Kong is coming out so I don't see any copyright stopping those Homebrews from coming out. Maybe Disney is more on top of things then Nintendo

That is true on the coleco side, but not on the Atari side when it comes to Nintendo. Intellivision and colecovision homebrew scenes didn't get the coverage from the gaming media like the Atari 2600 is capable of in terms of the internet.

The Atariage store received a C&D for Princess Rescue last year from Nintendo. Princess Rescue had Mario characters, music from Super Mario Bros. and levels similar to Super Mario Bros.

Princess Rescue got a lot of coverage from the internet last year including youtube and Ign as examples. Nintendo found out about Princess Rescue as a result and only allowed the rom to be downloaded for free.