IGNORED

Any fans of the Model 1 VA7?

Drixxel

While it's routinely bagged as the worst of the model 1 hardware revisions due to its infamous audio problems, I feel that the VA7's really not that bad. A point that isn't brought up enough, in my opinion, when talk of differences in Genesis/Mega Drive model 1 hardware revisions surfaces is that of video quality, and the VA7 shares the best of the video encoders (the Sony CXA1145, as identified in the ubiquitous thread of hardware revision knowledge) among all models, as I take it. I only clued in yesterday, after moving my Genesis to a different TV (a Samsung CRT), that my VA7 Genesis throws out a picture free of rainbow banding. Not only that, but it's a mono TV I have the console hooked up to and I hear very little hiss when running audio either from the composite connection (also mono) or as one half of the stereo output from the headphone jack. For what it's worth, I've determined that the volume level of the mono audio via the composite connection on my Genesis is equal to the volume slider for the headphone jack being set to 90%, almost precisely. Also, I hear zero difference in the audio quality from either source, but I admit that closer listening through a better sound system (not the built-in speakers on this TV) may reveal something more.

Anyhow, I ended up taking a chance on this particular Genesis after running into it at a Value Village a couple years back, my recall from that Sega-16 thread being thoroughly incomplete and making it pure speculation as to the good-or-bad-ness of the console I was dealing with. I was disappointed when later I determined what hardware revision I had, but I've never given this specific model a fair shake and impartial go of it until just recently. The video quality is worlds ahead of the model 2 I'd been playing on previously, and that for me is far more important than any imperfections found in the audio.

Any thoughts on the VA7, one way or the other? Anyone here gone through with, or had done, TmEE's extremely clever audio mod?

My model 1 is a va7, never had any issues with it. It does output clear video, but the audio is a bit distorted and hissy. From what I understand is the va7 is a model 2 in a model 1 format.

I have wanted to do the cca mod to it but requires more then what you would do to a model 2 due to the headphone output. Plus I haven't found a guide to install the cca mod on a va7, all that I have seen is for the model 2.

• 2 weeks later...

My childhood Genesis was a model 1 VA-6. Never had an issue with it until I upgraded to a bigger CRT a few years ago. So I started tracking them all down. I've had pretty much every variation of the model 1 and you're right the VA-7 outputs the best picture. But the sound is noticeably worse. Best way to make a quick comparison is to hook a VA-7 up at the same time with any other model and run Sonic 1 on both consoles. Flip back and forth and listen to the sound when Sonic grabs a ring.

My favorite model now atleast for my TV is the model 2 VA-4. Best sound and video output.

• Like 1

I'm not sure which Model 1 Genesis I have, but the sound is pretty craptacular. I mean, I know the Genesis sound in general is kinda scratchy and hissy, but it seems pretty bad.

anyways, the question I have, is if you're using an RGB monitor and RGB cables, do any of the Genesis variants provide a better or worse RGB picture ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely not a fan, my first Genesis was a VA7 and I couldn't stand how horrible the audio was. I actually had another VA7 that was included in a lot I bought, and I actually that sent to Tiido to have the CCAM done on it. I never kept it around though as I had an early model 1 with S-video and region switches. It's true that the VA7 has better composite video than the earlier model 1s, but I still don't consider that a good enough reason to keep one around considering the later Genesis 2s have good composite video with decent audio quality.

• 4 months later...

*bump*

I just picked up my first va7s and I must say I love this system. The rgb from it is more stable than my va7. The rgb from my va6 when hooked into my s-video modded 32x sometimes I get one of the three primary colours going in and out of mild flickering which is annoying. The va7 doesn't have this problem. I installed a ccam to fix the audio and now the system sounds better than any other model. Once you ccam a va7 I'd say it's the best, even installing a region switch in it was fairly easy.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

I just bought a VA7, and I discovered that the video is awesome... with no jailbars that I can see. But the sound is kinda shitty. Currently looking for a decent sound mod board for this board version.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I wanted to add about the VA7, is the console shell quality. It is significantly cheaper and cost reduced compared to the early HDG Model 1 shells. I can't comment on the later model 1 shells without the screen printed "High Definition Graphics", but the VA7 shells do not have a removable plastic ring shaped trim piece.

The VA7 shell is also noticeably cheaper in terms of excess plastic on edges from the injected molding process. I actually scrapped up a cartridge label while inserting and removing because of rough and uneven plastic edges around the cart slot.

Regarding the board, I managed to get a Crystal Clear Audio Mod and installed it on my VA7... but I also de-soldered the volume slider, removed it to isolate the correct pins to attach directly to the isolated headphone jack, remounted the slider, and ran the sound outputs from the CCAM to the slider so I can have adjustable volume through the headphone jack. The sound is pretty amazing now.

As stated above, my VA7 has perfect video with no jailbars so, I left it alone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bought a VA7 not too long ago, I did an Audio Circuit Mod on it. Simply by replacing 4 SMD Ceramic Caps and 2 op amp Chips. The Sound had vastly improved, though the gain is overdrivin even before the mod. Not sure if its the different resistors they used or the Capacitors just need replaced. I never remembered the Gain being too High with the last VA7 I owned, But that was a very long time ago.

Edited by Danmaster