IGNORED

Gamertag banned for life

Master Phruby

So my son makes his avatar face green with a mod and gets his gamertag banned for life. Does that mean the machine can never use xbox live again? Do all I have to do is create a new gammertag and buy another year of xbox live to get back online? He doesn't have any games stored online. I wonder if its even worth getting xbox live again? We only use it for netflix and besides we have six other devices that can run netflix for free. My son uses it for the messanger and very little online game play anymore. Maybe we are better without it. The xbox live connection was always very flakey anyway. It would constantly disconnect itself and then reconnect even though the xbox is hardwired. The way I see it Microsoft loses a customer and I save $60 a year.

Have you ever been "banned for life" from xbox live?

yep, you have to get another gamertag if that was banned.

depends on you and your son if you want to get another one. maybe he has a ton of friends through XBL so if you sever that, he may complain incessantly at which point you have to decide whether or not to give in. a lot of 360 gamers spend more time chatting and hanging out than actually playing. I have a friend on my list that buys a ton of stuff online and games as well. But he actually doesn't play them much because by the time he decompresses from work, he's almost ready for bed. So he ends up just getting online to go into party chat with the rest of us while watching Youtube or Netflix.

He used a mod to make his avatar look different ang got banned? Gees, you'd think they would consider the fact that he wasn't cheating in a game to be enough for just a warning. M$ is too controlling these days. Plus, the 360's life cycle is almost over. Why worry about petty stuff like that?

I would call Microsoft and fight it. I know that you certainly violated their TOS somewhere, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I would bet that if you complained enough, they would undo the ban.

From what I read when I was researching banned accounts (to see if they system ban xboxes with 3rd party drives) modding your avatar is the leading cause of bans, and fighting it doesn't end well.

I'm of two minds about it. It's an avatar, and if I want to be orange, why shouldn't I be? There's a horrible lack of variety in avatars--hope you like t-shirts and cargo shorts. The flip side of that is that microsoft currently has an easy and visible way to see if people are going to push past the rules without them ever having had harm any legitimate players online. That's pretty neat.

I think they should legally provide options for weird skin colors.

But I can see why modding your system, even if it is for skin colors, is not a good thing. No gamer who modifies the color of their avatar skin stops there. If you have the ability to modify system files, there's a lot of other things you're not letting on about what you're doing.

http://whywasibanned.com/

I love this site. Amazing what kids try to get away with.

green-food.png

hit.png

no-idea-why-01.png

no-idea-why-02.png

He used a mod to make his avatar look different ang got banned? Gees, you'd think they would consider the fact that he wasn't cheating in a game to be enough for just a warning. M$ is too controlling these days. Plus, the 360's life cycle is almost over. Why worry about petty stuff like that?

Not reading the Terms of Service and breaking it is no excuse... it is unauthorized modification of game/avatar parameters, and definitely bannable via the ToS..

Benny, argueing it I can guarantee you will do nothing, as the # of these cases are overturned are 0%.

If you want a real good one (of avatar skin modding "being racist against a specific color", search out Golf's posting about a black smurf. You'll get a chuckle.

I had to find it here it is...

Subject: Smurf Racist

You ban me for being blue... If someone made their avatar black you wouldn't ban them. Why are you all hating on the smurfs?

Reply from XBLPET Golf

In 1963, a French comic called Les Schtroumpfs Noirs was first released to the public. This comic featured a storyline wherein one Smurf was turned, interestingly enough, pitch black after being stung by a black fly (though the colour was changed to purple for the cartoon). This infected Smurf then is reverted to a single line of vocabulary, has stunted movement and sought to bite other Smurfs upon their tails. The bite of an infected Smurf quickly causes the victim to become one of them, and soon a horde of these black Smurfs rapidly overrun the populace. This story is considered by some to be the Ur Example of modern zombie fiction, and may have inspired notable figures as George Romero in the creation of the undead menace that grips us so well today.

As you can see, Smurfs are exceptionally dangerous. It is through them that the zombie apocalypse will come, and it is our duty to keep humanity safe against the undead horde. Be they blue, black, purple, yellow (whom we assume to be jaundiced) or green (sick), we prevent the Smurfs from potentially causing the end of humankind by immediately removing them from the service as we see them. Only through our diligence can we hold back the inevitable tide, and we here at the Xbox LIVE Policy and Enforcement Team take our duty seriously.

We shall hold the line.

Additionally, modifications are strictly forbidden by the Code of Conduct. Cheers!

• Like 1

Your console should be banned as well. Going to take more than just creating another gamertag and subscribing again to get back online.

I would call Microsoft and fight it. I know that you certainly violated their TOS somewhere, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I would bet that if you complained enough, they would undo the ban.

He hacked and he got banned. They have a zero tolerance policy so he'll never get the ban lifted. Best to suck it up rather than wasting your own time and Microsoft's for a valid decision.

Your console should be banned as well. Going to take more than just creating another gamertag and subscribing again to get back online.

He hacked and he got banned. They have a zero tolerance policy so he'll never get the ban lifted. Best to suck it up rather than wasting your own time and Microsoft's for a valid decision.

• Like 1

Surprised no one has created an alternate Live that isn't run by MS...frankly this crap gives me a great reason not to get a used Xbox EVER.

because if you ever played online with people who cheat and mod, you don't realize how much it kills the entire community. it's no fun when there are people doing things that aren't possible. games with rampant cheating get abandoned. that's why no one plays the original Modern Warfare. It's not because the multiplayer is bad. It's that Activision decided it wasn't cost effective for them to clamp down on every new exploit. They rather you buy new games anyway.

there are ways around not using Xbox Live and still have Internet play. for example, you can use tunneling software like Kaillera and XBConnect to play Xbox1 games. but if you ever try to play Halo 1 or Halo 2 on these networks, you see the rampant cheating. and the only way to even the odds is to cheat as well so it kind of becomes an arms race to see who has the best mods.

Seeing all this makes me want to spring for the PS3.

Yes? No?

Really? What has happened here seems extremely reasonable to me.

This user account was banned because it used external methods to modify a user profile which is a clear violation of the XBL TOS. It also sounds exactly like the kind of user I'd never want to encounter on a well put together online service. It's wrong, and the people who do this know that if caught their account faces perma ban. What else are they willing to do online?

It's not a system ban, but that user, and all of their content/purchases are now void. A new user account can be created at any time on that system, and the customer is free to start over on the green side of the TOS.

Edited by Reaperman

It's a good thing we never bought anything with that profile nor do we ever intend to.

Which makes me wonder how legal that is. How can a company take away a paid for item? That makes me never want to buy something that is stored in the cloud if the company can go out of business or take it away at will. I can see a denial of service but they should at least reimbuse you for products boughten or send the binaries to you in some form. If Atari had downloadable games back in the 80's we would no longer have the games we collect today.

I guess any digitial thing we buy on line is a license for use that can be voided at anytime.

• Like 1